PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Baglady on July 10, 2018, 01:23:20 PM
MNEM - Hegonon LP (Sentimental Productions)
Like waking up on an unmanned and antiquated, rusty old space craft heading nowhere in the middle of nowhere, in outer space, constantly getting stuck in space time loops. Or on abandoned equally antique submarine suddenly coming to life by itself in the Mariana trench. Reminiscent in atmosphere of the Irgun Zwai Leumi LP Klirrfaktor with all that ghostly decaying electronics thing going on, but above all, very Mnem. There's been a nice resurgence of industrial of this eerie nature as of late, at least in my head, with Jim Haynes - Electrical Injuries, Arkhe - Deep In Sleep and Alfarmania & Proiekt Hat - Flugornas Herrar sending me to similar places but taking their own respective routes. A great great album.

Damn! Almost feel like there is NEED for MNEM topic on this forum. When this LP came out, I was like I'll grab it when it hits the distributors... Couple years later finding myself thinking "there is Mnem LP on ukrainian label?!?"  and finally now, decided to buy bunch of stuff directly from label, that may be also in need for some funds in this current situation.
Anyways, today listening MNEM LP five times in a row. Almost work-day worth of just Mnem LP, and could have proceeded for more. Well.. It's still there at the turntable, so might start tomorrow with giving in another spin!

I suppose it has been talked occasionally, that MNEM might have left more impact on Sweden than it has in Finland? Although KAOS KONTROL did the great releases and the bands own label put out little things, I can't really name any Finnish artists who would be namedropping Mnem among bands someone needs to check out from Finland plus not really other artists who sound like it. Looking at sweden, I can't estimate what has been role of this project there, and reel-to-reel tape experiments are certainly nothing Mnem invented or pioneered, but that all said, it feels as if Swedes has been influenced a bit of this?

If someone has not checked Mnem, and likes corroded, decayed noise-sound loops, somewhat claustrophobic feeling, slow paced repetative, kind of mechanic, but weirdly organic and hand made stuff. Absolutely essential to grab something.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

MT

Edwige - The Inconsolable Widow Thanks All Those Who Consoled Her CD

One of those CDs that people should be raving about a whole lot more! Three man destruction unit consisting of Mania, The Rita and Sewer Election. And as one should already guess, there's no goddamn way this can be bad. Sound is crunchy as hell, has that power of SE production, excellence of Mania junk metal 'n vocals and The Rita piledriving the static noise phallos into the sweet hole of Edwige Fenech. Great example of a collaboration where every artist compliments the other, no one is getting driven over and all sounds just blend fucking beautifully into this harsh noise chaos. Seriously, every noisehead NEEDS to have this CD! I have no experience of the later recordings when Mania had left this "band", but this one I classify as underrated, and maybe even hidden gem. Available for cheap!

MT

Mangled Clit - Erotakill 2CD

Filthiest USA noise there is! Hospital has done amazing job with this 2CD collection, case opens like a gatefold vinyl, up to 4 panels wide. Booklet is done with high quality materials, even have photopaper for center fold with Sals typod thanks part. But the material itself, CD1 is "SS66/72" is a relentlesss filth attack, mega crunchy, feedback squealing noise and Sals vocals attacking the listener. Shouting all obsceneties possible. CD2, "Purveyors of Cruelty" has more slow approach, rather menacing pitch shifted vocals keep delivering the same filthy obscenity but with more slouched pace. It is an interesting contrast to the rantings of the first CD! Neverthless, filthiest noise from US of A! Hails to Hospital for making this. 2 CDs worth of this kind of material might be exhausting to some, and some might lapse into a sexual phychosis.

Eigen Bast

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on February 12, 2023, 03:31:47 AM
Skin Crime – A Soul Eaten By Darkness c60 (Hospital Productions)

Nothing compares to modern Skin Crime. All Hail Skin Crime!

The B side is incredible. The level of composition goin on with the heavy rhythmic element has me stoked for whatevers next, that almost black metal riff feedback with the kick drum towards the end is A+ headbanger shit.

Baglady

MSBR - 2000 Thousends Contaminate Electronic Acids C60 (Old Europa Café, 1994)
A slightly more laidback prequel(?) to Intensification (PDB, 1995). A hard scorching hot sonic drill in the center, surrounded by phased and flanged fluttering sounds, lasery beams, synth screams and whatnot. It's so immediately recognizable as MSBR, that specific thing, that sound, that I can't help but chuckle (joyously, ofcourse). The straightforwardness of the recording combined with the softened burl courtesy of the cassette format (heavy low-end on this one!) has me thinking of Dead Body Love, a connection I haven't drawn from any other work by Koji Tano, but it's definitely apt in this case to my ears. Heckin' chonker! It's full of surprises and unforseen moves though. The abrupt shift in texture, color and goddamn pretty much everything, in the middle of side B - yet with the steady pace and determined drive intact! - is a goosebump moment for the books, jesus christ. Noise doesn't get any better than that!

Wonder where Urashima is at with the MSBR reissues? He had a great start with Ultimate Ambience and the rather unexpected Structured Suicide, but it's been a while now. Collapseland and Intensification would be the obvious steps, if there is more to come.

Zeno Marx

BigRoadBreaker, aka BRB, aka BRB>voicecoil - disinterpretioned 1997

I'm relatively sure I've never heard of this band, and unless they're listed on the board under BRB, I didn't find any mention of them.  Discogs shows they've been around since 1991.  They're all over the place, from electric currents to crunchy electro-acoustic to early, dark experimentalism to PBK testing to Skullflower-like noise.  Maybe something I could hear released on Sound of Pig even.  I ran into the name in an old podcast interview with Andrew Nolan when he briefly mentions their name.  Dark journeys.

https://muzamuza.bandcamp.com/album/disinterpretioned
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

WORTH "Penumbral Calypso; Early Garden Walls" tape
Hospital productions
Listened this one from bandcamp, don't have the physical tape. Worth is really good and the sound works well as file. I can only assume it will sound even better on tape, but it has all that decayed, saturated, mixed feedback-blast ripping and all that. Compositionally slightly weird, that the best moments of tape are kind of random moments and it doesn't feel like ending somehow on "high note" so to say. It is good all the way, but I wouldn't think there is like utterly clear compositional direction - or if there is, he avoid the obvious. No building up climax etc. So many of the individual sounds are so full of spontaneous life, always modulated into something new, but very much tech free -feeling.

FAILING LIGHTS "Christmas Eve Dark Ambient" tape
Hospital Productions
Almost surprising release! When it starts, it makes me think of... Burzum keyboard songs, haha! And that is most certainly not a negative mark! This is not dungeon synth, no way. But it goes beyond minimal dark ambient in its tonality or even "melodic" feeling and suddenly some pieces are like Burzum Black Metal albums electronic tracks obviously with more low-tech and hand made approach, with something that title says... Christmas Eve dark ambient... Weird, but I find myself liking this a lot.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Fistfuck Masonanie

Skin Graft – Final Judgment CD (White Centipede Noise)

Only just now getting around to listening to this CD. It has been sitting in my "to listen" pile since... JUNE 2022... shit. I knew this was going to be a really good album, but no clue what the hell took me so long. Well worth the wait though. Heard this was supposed to be a Troniks CD but due to a hiatus got picked up by WCN.

A really engrossing and enveloping sound. I feel fully consumed by the texture. Maybe because I'm blasting it at high volume as well, which always helps. Extremely blown-out textures. Really blown out. Really pummeling and I can't find the words right now to encapsulate the fullness and power behind these frequencies. I also enjoy how it's really one large developing piece with movements and dynamics.

It's funny, or sad, how an album like this where you can tell the artist put his blood, sweat, and tears into creating it, can go with little to no lip service whatsoever afterward. I bet a lot of people really enjoyed this album as well, you just never HEAR about it!

Anyway, I really really enjoy Skin Graft, and this is an excellent album. Next up on my neglected listening pile is the Worth Sacred Violence Noise CD. I also have Savage Gospel Horrors Of Nature in the queue.

morbid_dyspepsia

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 27, 2023, 07:44:47 PM
WORTH "Penumbral Calypso; Early Garden Walls" tape
Hospital productions

It is good all the way, but I wouldn't think there is like utterly clear compositional direction - or if there is, he avoid the obvious. No building up climax etc. So many of the individual sounds are so full of spontaneous life, always modulated into something new, but very much tech free -feeling.

That was what I was kind of trying to say in my review, but maybe in more of an abstract manner. Nothing to hold on to from start to finish.

MT

Bastard Noise/U.N.D. 7"
Rather unfamiliar with both projects, so was curious to get this. Bastard Noise side has high pitched wonky backgrounds and growling vocals of many sorts. I've had some previous short encounters with Bastard Noise and this falls into same thoughts. Peculiar, odd, unsettling. 7" is great format for this, cause I don't think I could listen to this any further. UND has an interesting mid range buzzes with crackles and menacing tone backboning whole thing. Strange sample bursting through the surface. Second track kind of has the same feeling but more noisy. Very hectic atmosphere, yet very little happens. Looping sound hammering away, slowly adding more texture to itself. Quite solid 7", not for everyone though.

Woundead 7"
Another project of UND fellow. Sleeve contained an old train ticket from Poland, which shifts my thoughts to train ride ambience and this 7" supports that image.  Then again the covers have pictures of pills, a knife and random family album fotos. Anyway! Muffled sound that reminds me indeed of a train riding the tracks, wobbly and bassy ride in the dark dreamland. Somehow this is extremely nice sound to listen to, so in contrast to previous 7", I'd like to listen this longer! Towards end, side A emerges from the murky sounds to more clear synth wobble, then dives back into a source sound which I am quite sure is a field recording. Side B is even more subtle, but again very nice to listen to. Somehow there's a certain kind of frequency which reminds me of very old computer racing games, just a monotonous buzz. Very strange 7", not noise really, more like just... strange ambient. Worth of buying to have an oddball 7" in your collection.

Decrepitude

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on March 04, 2023, 02:01:23 AM
Skin Graft – Final Judgment CD (White Centipede Noise)

Only just now getting around to listening to this CD. It has been sitting in my "to listen" pile since... JUNE 2022... shit. I knew this was going to be a really good album, but no clue what the hell took me so long. Well worth the wait though. Heard this was supposed to be a Troniks CD but due to a hiatus got picked up by WCN.

A really engrossing and enveloping sound. I feel fully consumed by the texture. Maybe because I'm blasting it at high volume as well, which always helps. Extremely blown-out textures. Really blown out. Really pummeling and I can't find the words right now to encapsulate the fullness and power behind these frequencies. I also enjoy how it's really one large developing piece with movements and dynamics.

It's funny, or sad, how an album like this where you can tell the artist put his blood, sweat, and tears into creating it, can go with little to no lip service whatsoever afterward. I bet a lot of people really enjoyed this album as well, you just never HEAR about it!

Anyway, I really really enjoy Skin Graft, and this is an excellent album. Next up on my neglected listening pile is the Worth Sacred Violence Noise CD. I also have Savage Gospel Horrors Of Nature in the queue.

I also got it into a bit late but couldn't put it down for a good few weeks when I finally did. I feel the attention to the frequencies and EQ'ing of the layers is very musical. Top level harmonic crunch!

Leewar

MORTAR - S/T

One of those albums i always find myself coming back to. Total  Death Industrial classic, dense rumblings, muffled clangs. Nothing that may sound ground-breaking, yet somehow it has its own individual sound. Dark, atmospheric and dank.

Strömkarlen

Quote from: MT on February 19, 2023, 08:58:30 PM
Edwige - The Inconsolable Widow Thanks All Those Who Consoled Her CD

One of those CDs that people should be raving about a whole lot more! Three man destruction unit consisting of Mania, The Rita and Sewer Election. And as one should already guess, there's no goddamn way this can be bad. Sound is crunchy as hell, has that power of SE production, excellence of Mania junk metal 'n vocals and The Rita piledriving the static noise phallos into the sweet hole of Edwige Fenech. Great example of a collaboration where every artist compliments the other, no one is getting driven over and all sounds just blend fucking beautifully into this harsh noise chaos. Seriously, every noisehead NEEDS to have this CD! I have no experience of the later recordings when Mania had left this "band", but this one I classify as underrated, and maybe even hidden gem. Available for cheap!

I don't know if it is underrated. The lp sold out immediately so we decided to make the CD so it would be easy to get after the initial rush. Also the fastest I knew I wanted to release a record. I think I was a couple of minutes into the "demo" when I had made made up my mind. Great record!

Commander15

V/A - Mixed Noise Soup Vol. 1 CS (Satatuhatta)

Brand new compilation tape from Satatuhatta. Exquisite item! Beautiful art zine of sorts acting as an liner notes combined with good looking tape, that is also dubbed as good as it gets. Satatuhatta is really keeping up the overall quality that it is known for, even surpassing it.

Strong material from several artists. My top picks from this complation are tracks from Moozzhead, Corral Shut, Tyhjä Pää, The New Boyfriends and Mogao.

Moozz track is what you expect from the man: joyous blast of best arkinoise that there is. Things are happening through-out the stereo field. Corral Shut surprise with industrial-sounding rhythm loop that frames perfectly the top-tier junk metal abuse.

Tyhjä Pää is amazing here, really really awesome. Hard to describe, but it sounds rich and constantly on a move but not too hectic or "cut-uppy". Physical sounds are electrified and electronic sounds are made flesh here. TNB track starts with a bit New Blockaders-esque feel to it, until it lands back to the Finnish semi-rural surroundings filled with forgotten rusty metal objects. Mogao track is awesome as well: slithering, monochrome noise assault with good midrange action going on.

Kitu - Fiery Jinxes CS (Satatuhatta)

This one is really interesting. A-side starts with ominous synth drones setting the stage for really coarse, broken sounding harsh noise that is spiked with screeching loops and wretched vocal-sounding noises. Everything is soaked in distorted, rotten tape sound that reminds me of 80's DIY industrial-noise. Oppressive and weird atmosphere is underlined by synth drones and brilliantly placed sparse delay oscillations. B-side delves deep into weird noise territory with lo-fi speech samples and more loopy approach, which differs greatly from the a-side but nevertheless is equally brilliant.

Very, very nice tape with certain feel of mystery in it. I suspect that this tape is "grower" instead of being "shower".

Zalhietzli / Dressing - Dreag CS  (Satatuhatta)

Split tape. Zalhietzli side: 56k modem trying to dial into motorboating feedback loop. Super dry line-in recording makes you feel that you are wrapped in cellophane with aforementioned modem. Not my kind of noise. Dressing side: couldn't get any hold on this. Lots of stuff happening and it is noise but... Not my kind of stuff.

Corral Shut - Sheer CS (Satatuhatta)

CS is one of my faves from current Finnish noisemakers. When it comes to junk metal harsh noise, Corral Shut is one of the best globally. This brand new tape is harsh. Way harsher than Ramshackle cd or Scuff Marks tape.

Sound is super overdriven, even to the point of disintegration. Weird distortion artefacts are omnipresent in this tape, creating strange halo around everything. It is like two layers of noise, junk metal and electronic, are in struggle here. Sometimes the metal prevails, until the electronic noise wrestles itself to the top and vice versa. In the last track the electronics have won and we are gifted with tasty feedback and textured blasts of noise. There is an certain dreamlike feeling to this tape, starting with minimal and elegant J-card and evocative title of the opening track "Stars over a wheat field". Recommended.

W.K.

IC Rex - Sielun Kadotuksen Sinfonia
perfect
Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash