PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

PRIMITIVE WINGS "Slow Urge" tape
Satatuhatta
New release from Primitive Wings first appeared like transition from CD to more primitive approach? At least that my first impression when listening tape version. Now out of town and playing first time the digital stream https://satatuhatta.bandcamp.com/album/slow-urge
I have feeling that it may still be notch more primitive in overall feel, but maybe the added punch and saturation of good tape dub was main difference in atmosphere.
Like the CD, this is harsh noise. Most likely if not completely, almost completely live sessions. Live in sense that material is not cut & edited on computer, but something actually played without looking the screen. Each track is short. Barely reaching three minutes. Within that duration, it feels like artists is doing his best to never keep sound still. Despite sound spectrum and the sources or equipment is the same throughout the track, the thing is exactly the constant fast modulation. While this sounds nothing like Incapacitants (in relative terms of harsh noise!), that's what I often think. Sure Primitive Wings is one guy, but the restless fast modulation of harsh noise, that usually happens in couple distinctive level, brings me vivid impression about Incapacitants. Another similarity to best works of the Japanese masters is that Primitive Wings is NEVER about crunchy bass or sub-bass frequencies. Both the CD and this tape do not have that "boomy" quality of over-boosted bass frequencies. Neither it has the constant hiss of digitally clipping high frequencies. It is clearly focused on the sound range where the actual noise information is, as opposed to static frequencies that have always the same-y characteristics. Primitive Wings is absolutely master level noise craft where such easy solutions, like "let's turn it all to max" is rejected. Instead you have the "noise information" so to say, happening on frequencies that are best to hear the frenzy of spastic modulation. 

While all noise is great, I'd still think absolutely great Arising in the Absurd Night -track refers that maybe Primitive Wings has further unclaimed territory to conquer in form of this type of rugged yet atmospheric material? Album of that type of thing, would be very welcomed. Same came to my mind when listening couple of the "calmer" track openings on the CD!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

The Day Of The Antler "Love Beyond Love" tape
Satatuhatta
I suppose this is the biggest edition of The Day Of The Antler releases. Even previous CD was merely edition of 100. You may or may not find that from NHFASTORE or Satatuhatta store, but if it is there when you read this, I'd absolutely recommend to grab it! For the private tapes, you need to get hold of artists and not sure if they are available anyways.
I don't know has it been intention, but project certainly seems like it has been only for Finnish audience. Selling hand-made packaged tapes at gigs, or to those who know where to ask. Only interview I know of, has been Finnish language audio (podcast). His sound has been described to be somewhere between industrial-noise and kosmische synth music. Music being used as vague term. This tape is among noisier ones, and despite he has things like buzzing synth tones and looping machine-esque sounds, there is lots of harsh junk noise clatter and such things. If track is titled Scrap Iron Burial Mound, that's pretty much where listened gets buried.    
Contemplating The Brittle Moments Of Happiness with its crackling fire in kiuas and melancholic piano sounds makes you think many recent years Finn piano works included into releases. Palokoro, Nuori Veri, Ahola & Silander, and more...   Then when B-side continues, he hits in more industrial feel, where one could lump this sound closer to Pain Nail or such Finn artists. For me, the B-side is the best side on tape. When he goes into industrial-noise territory and excellent sounds/songs. For fans of "Rural Industrial"!
Tape is already sold out from label, but you can find it from other dealers plus stream is here:
https://satatuhatta.bandcamp.com/album/love-beyond-love

Commander15

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 22, 2023, 09:17:24 AM
The Day Of The Antler "Love Beyond Love" tape
Satatuhatta
I suppose this is the biggest edition of The Day Of The Antler releases. Even previous CD was merely edition of 100. You may or may not find that from NHFASTORE or Satatuhatta store, but if it is there when you read this, I'd absolutely recommend to grab it! For the private tapes, you need to get hold of artists and not sure if they are available anyways.
I don't know has it been intention, but project certainly seems like it has been only for Finnish audience. Selling hand-made packaged tapes at gigs, or to those who know where to ask. Only interview I know of, has been Finnish language audio (podcast). His sound has been described to be somewhere between industrial-noise and kosmische synth music. Music being used as vague term. This tape is among noisier ones, and despite he has things like buzzing synth tones and looping machine-esque sounds, there is lots of harsh junk noise clatter and such things. If track is titled Scrap Iron Burial Mound, that's pretty much where listened gets buried.    
Contemplating The Brittle Moments Of Happiness with its crackling fire in kiuas and melancholic piano sounds makes you think many recent years Finn piano works included into releases. Palokoro, Nuori Veri, Ahola & Silander, and more...   Then when B-side continues, he hits in more industrial feel, where one could lump this sound closer to Pain Nail or such Finn artists. For me, the B-side is the best side on tape. When he goes into industrial-noise territory and excellent sounds/songs. For fans of "Rural Industrial"!
Tape is already sold out from label, but you can find it from other dealers plus stream is here:
https://satatuhatta.bandcamp.com/album/love-beyond-love

This tape is really good. I'd recommend to grab it ASAP while it is still possible .

FreakAnimalFinland

STAR "Elephant in the snow"
Hospital productions
In the harsh noise scene, all the boys talking about it. Didn't listen anything online before, nor got any of the (small edition?) tapes. Waited to get the CD from Hospital but now being out town and relying on internet streams, I decided to go for it. In deed, this is very much in lines of 90's tape noise and the new weird noise you hear about. Very primitive sessions full of tape saturation and often long tracks that keep on going often way longer than would be necessary. The spirit of 90's "let's fill this tape!" -method. Lots of odd music clips looped and fucked with, nasty feedback, everything blown up like OVMN or KADEF or something like that. Most likely just turning gain all the way max and using low grade tapes to get sound ultra saturated and messy.
Elephant In The Snow Watching The Airplane, 5 minute slowly waving feedback noise track that is almost like if OVMN played Ferial Confine with some rotating simulating effects.

Basically, nothing overly weird in it, but just noise like noise used to be before it was "junk metal noise", "synth noise", "cut up", "hnw" and so on.. Just noise made out of lots of sounds, that often are not just cool but annoying, disturbing and distracting. Always distorted, but never JUST distortion. There is always the sound itself, not shakerbox+pedal type of solutions.
https://hospitalproductions.bandcamp.com/album/elephant-in-the-snow

FreakAnimalFinland

WORTH "Penumbral Calypso; Early Garden Walls" tape
Hospital productions
Tape version already sold out, but this can be listened from bandcamp. I also dare to say, the bandcamp may be better to listen as tape had fairly quiet dub. Of course as object tape is nice, both the neat special edition that I got, but also the plastic butterfly pic box kind of thing. Sonically, Worth is already so nicely broken, saturated and crude that it doesn't necessarily need the tape dub. It can benefit from good dub, but the noise itself is already so tasty that it certainly is suitable for CD (or stream/download). There is lots of small things going on, ugly sounds, often also the type of over-blown gain distortion that starts to destroy sound to the point it starts to disappear. Hard to explain, but quality some equipment have. Mixers or tape decks. Not crackling in bad way, not becoming the usual distortion blast, but almost like disintegrating into silence - or kind of staying on the edge of almost doing so. That give material the extra level of brokenness when sounds are never in separate layers, but also multiple layers that there are - are melted into one thing where sounds compete who's on the top, pushing noise into level where things are on fine line of moving forward and disintegrate. There is something very unique in Worth's noise that is hard to articulate. When he was visiting Finland, too bad there was just one gig, 600km away, on thursday night. It would have been nice to see man doing what he does - and check out how it is done! 

https://hospitalproductions.bandcamp.com/album/penumbral-calypso-early-garden-walls

piisti

"Slow Urge" from Primitive Wings. I have listened both versions;bc and tape many times now. Other releases also lately, but reason to write it here is high appreciation of this one. After PW cd it is hard to expect this is recorded in same sessions.  This feels much more found diamond from past! This goes to same category with Cuts of Grase and Here be Lions releases from Vanhala.

FreakAnimalFinland

When talking with friends about the STAR release, I had to say Max Julian Eastman "Zabriskie/Manor" 3"CD on Satatuhatta feels very much in same category.. but better? Basically better may be merely result of duration of c. 20 minutes means I listened this a lot when it came out and now listened more. I mentioned to label its like Love Boat noise. Not sure if it makes sense to anyone, but when finally actually reading the description that mentions mr. Eastmans music has  dream-like atmosphere that it holds in. It's like a mixture of old beaten copy of action movie VHS and a hazy setting of 80's Playboy photoshoot, rumble and comfort combined.
Indeed, half of the short tracks are like rugged and distorted ... what I described to some friends as love boat moments, and then rest is the rumble of loud input level noise. Never aggressive, always low-tech and primitive. Similar to the STAR CD, they do not clean up any pause button clicks and pops, stop button snaps and hiss and crackles of "silence" of low grade tape. All tracks have the sound artifacts in beginning and in the end. Some of "loops" appears more like pause button & rewind rather than loop? Very crude, very hands-on, but not aggressive or even sense of loudness. Just primitive overdrive in everything.
https://satatuhatta.bandcamp.com/album/zabriskie-manor

Knowing the artists runs the Tribe Tapes, listened from labels bandcamp MOT "Callous" tape. Expecting it will fall into close enough range from Star and Max Julian Eastman. MOT is noise made out of tape loops and amplified objects. I could think of some early works of Altar Of Flies and the handmade feel, broken loops, lo-fi sounds, contact mic'ed crackling distorted sounds of objects. Again, never BLAST of noise. Never aggro. Never impression of shirtless dude kicking table of pedals into ground. Compared to Star, Eastman, Worth.. this particular MOT is not always as solid ear candy as they are, despite use of tape as method of doing sounds, I would not be surprised if final result would not be recorded ON tape. At least many of the sounds are missing that same red-zone magic. It may be also the frequently heard tinny piezzo type of sound. Very good tape nevertheless!
https://tribetapes.bandcamp.com/album/callous

FallOfNature

new tape from No Guard on rotation all week

https://divineseverancerecords.bandcamp.com/album/d-p-b

also
Craniophagus - Terrace
Coma Detox - Volatile Debasement

HateSermon

Fistfuck Masonanie

Scathing – Flesh Wreckage c20 (Cruel Symphonies)

Scathing is a very consistent artist. No nonsense harsh noise out of Texas. A lot of fast movement and cut-up sensibilities melded with good crunch and texture. The liner notes state, "walkways, hair spray, bad makeup, whisky, chlamydia, and sick guitar riffs looped." Summarizes it nicely. There is definitely some guitar at the start of side A before it ventures into an outright ripper of feedback and distortion. Very much in the vein of "head-banging noise" if such a thing exists, which to me, it does.

Side B is more thrashing, much more cut-up on this side, and lots of vocals sputtered in and out. Has a live set energy feel even though great editing and splicing of sounds, and again, head-banging energy. Beer drinking noise if that makes sense.

Really solid ripper of a tape and never let down by the artist. Grab Flesh Wreckage!

Scathing – Scathing CD (Rural Isolation Project)

c40 tape originally released on Idiopathic Records back in 2019, now reissued on CD by Rural Isolation Project. Man, I loved Idiopathic, wish it was still going. I always found the cover art on this especially gripping. Idiopathic did such a great job with their art. Always felt like such a unique look and feel.

Really nice and faithful reproduction of sounds on CD. More fast-moving and harsh noise from Kenny, which he really does so well. The original tape was my first introduction to Scathing and it's fun revisiting on CD. I loved it since the first time I heard it and like it even more than I remember! The hit you over the head and to-the-point tracks on side A and then the long-form twenty-minute track on side B. That track develops more and uses the time to spread and grow, utilizing a wider array of sounds and much more dynamics.

Anyway, all of this to say, support Kenny and Scathing! Still have the new Fever Land Phantasmagoria on Rural Isolation Project to check out as well.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: bogskaggmannen on March 18, 2010, 10:13:41 PM
listened again recently the old LOTUS EATERS "Mind control for infants" CD from 2002 (?) which recently have been rereleased on vinyl. Other reason for rerelease than being members from other "famous" groups this material is far from excellent to my ears and could definitely have stayed only on CD. Mostly made up by guitar and bass, both acoustic and electric with effects. Maybe parts of it actually sounds like later day EARTH material without the drums. There are a few tracks that flow pretty well but most parts are silent and dull, without direction. Mini-LP on Ajna was much better, four tracks with limited track times maybe made it more interesting?

Listened LOTUS EATERS wurmwulv CD (Troubleman unlimited)
I can't really compare to other LE releases, since I didn't have much recollections about how this sounded either. First of all, it has been in my shelves of "to be listened in right time", for years. Decade? More? How knows. Only thing I had in mind, was that this would be O'Malley guitar drone CD, and didn't even remember it was Lotus Eaters. Putting in on, I was pleasantly surprised. Beginning is almost something like Harry Bertoia doing the metal resonance drones. No junk noise, no just clang and sound carving, but kind of tonal resonance, not enough to be confused with bells, singing bowls or instruments, but certainly each object having "note" when it is being hit. Some sounds almost like muffled china cymbals or such, but hard to say. It is not music per se, though. Album goes into variety of acoustic and electronic sounds, processing and different moods. I like the beginning the most and went to re-play the first track. It has something quite unusual feel.
It does make me think how many of the "big label" or "famous guys" are notions that give kind of unnecessary baggage. Not that Troubleman would somehow appear as "big label" in my view, but sort of indie rock label anyways, that I would not associate to be among labels that have artists I tend to like. Isis, Sunn o))), and so on, also not bands that are selling points for me. So the idea of members from famous groups is indeed baggage, but getting over it, Lotus Eaters CD, very nice!   As addition, must say that it would be totally unnecessary to put this out on LP. 3 songs in 50 minutes wouldn't really go well on any vinyl format, plus there are long moments of quiet, delicate and minimal drones that would be probably absolutely sucky to listen from crackling contemporary LP pressing. CD version, recommended!

moozz

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 03, 2023, 08:35:42 AM
As addition, must say that it would be totally unnecessary to put this out on LP. 3 songs in 50 minutes wouldn't really go well on any vinyl format, plus there are long moments of quiet, delicate and minimal drones that would be probably absolutely sucky to listen from crackling contemporary LP pressing. CD version, recommended!

But of course it is out on vinyl, already back in 2011! 2xLP where the second LP is just one-sided. One of the CD tracks is half an hour so naturally the material has been divided in a bit different way. Plus there are a few extra minutes on the vinyl version.

Bloated Slutbag

Primitive Wings - Slow Urge
I'm just paranoid enough to entertain the possibility that the man the myth follows the forum chatter closely. Not all so very long after some (shall we reflect not-entirely-well-considered) words (not mine) were spilled dinging certain of the more "composed" approaches to soundsmithy-ing, in turn to generate a little ballyhoo upon which more than a few would weigh, out riiiiiiips a namesaked project proper soon to be steeped in the blisterscorched flames of a smoldering scrap furnace, the sort of project methinks everyone need get out of the damn system at one point or other, right, for sanity's sake I suppose I digress do I not, well and truly edging at near diametric opposition to the (earlier) namesake proper.

Now, in the wake of words (mine) suggesting that the primitivo of this latest iteration were more at the surface less in the details, or even to suggest that that primitivo might merely serve, half on the sly, to obscure all that carefully crafted smithying, here blasts deferral to a scrap happy urge of proto furnace inclines, like, slowing it down, flexing for the camera, but no not in any smithying capacity rather a sort of shall it be called an urge-ent dis-capacity, an incapacity, even, if you catch my drizzle, ill-capacitated bilge-crusted abrasions sure if not quite clean, more munificently mangled 'n molested through ye olde macro grade meatgringer, savaged by yo momma, like, flatulent strangula hawked 'n blurted through knotted sphinct constrictia, with but a single solitary exception arising out the chafe for naught else but to prove the trajectory, wallowing in fluttered comas of deep-sunk forest creep, nothing absurd about it, at least not at the surface.

Not entirely sure, will need to subject the holes to a good few further strains of unfettered abuse, abuse the operative word as in daaamn this shizzle be hizzling hard, short sweet nasty, the way momma makes it now*.

* or then
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Commander15

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on July 03, 2023, 05:39:46 PM
I'm just paranoid enough to entertain the possibility that the man the myth follows the forum chatter closely. Not all so very long after some (shall we reflect not-entirely-well-considered) words (not mine) were spilled dinging certain of the more "composed" approaches to soundsmithy-ing, in turn to generate a little ballyhoo upon which more than a few would weigh, out riiiiiiips a namesaked project proper soon to be steeped in the blisterscorched flames of a smoldering scrap furnace, the sort of project methinks everyone need get out of the damn system at one point or other, right, for sanity's sake I suppose I digress do I not, well and truly edging at near diametric opposition to the (earlier) namesake proper.

Now, in the wake of words (mine) suggesting that the primitivo of this latest iteration were more at the surface less in the details, or even to suggest that that primitivo might merely serve, half on the sly, to obscure all that carefully crafted smithying, here blasts deferral to a scrap happy urge of proto furnace inclines, like, slowing it down, flexing for the camera, but no not in any smithying capacity rather a sort of shall it be called an urge-ent dis-capacity, an incapacity, even, if you catch my drizzle, ill-capacitated bilge-crusted abrasions sure if not quite clean, more munificently mangled 'n molested through ye olde macro grade meatgringer, savaged by yo momma, like, flatulent strangula hawked 'n blurted through knotted sphinct constrictia, with but a single solitary exception arising out the chafe for naught else but to prove the trajectory, wallowing in fluttered comas of deep-sunk forest creep, nothing absurd about it, at least not at the surface.

Not entirely sure, will need to subject the holes to a good few further strains of unfettered abuse, abuse the operative word as in daaamn this shizzle be hizzling hard, short sweet nasty, the way momma makes it now*.

* or then

This is about the latest Primitive Wings tape, i presume?

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Commander15 on July 03, 2023, 06:05:23 PM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on July 03, 2023, 05:39:46 PM
Primitive Wings - Slow Urge

* or then

This is about the latest Primitive Wings tape, i presume?

Whoops, yes. Fixed. And it is. What it say on the tin.

coughedit
And took the liberty of sneaking in correct attribution here, too. Just to maximize confusion.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag