Special Interest
May 09, 2021, 06:02:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 545 546 547 548 549 550 [551] 552 553
  Print  
Author Topic: PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS  (Read 2963255 times)
W.K.
moderate user

« Reply #8250 on: March 17, 2021, 07:51:06 PM »

It's funny how you can write an opinion on a recent listening, and whilst writing or listening for a second time, your opinion changes.

Arditi - Insignia of the Sun (Leidunger, Digital)
After the utmost classic Marching on to Victory and the much less exciting Spirit of Sacrifice I haven't really been following up on Arditi and was surprised there was a new album out! It's been quite a while since their last one, remembering the last few outputs where often a repeat of what already has been done, but with less intensity and conviction, so I just kept going back only to the first album. And now we have a new album!

Not surprisingly, it sounds much like their other output, even so much I think they are still using the same samples from Marching on to Victory, which is from 2003 haha, I don't hear much difference, that's funny. Are these even new tracks or left-overs from the first albums? But more important, is there conviction behind this new material?

Well, I think it sounds much darker than the last few albums from what I remember which is good. Great oppressive military tracks with a sense of oppression and threat, followed up by a good piece of drone, yes I quite like the first part of the album. But after Bloodtheism it becomes more melodic and well, who invited 1940's Walt Disney? It doesn't sound very good. The more melodic stuff is only for a short time though, it goes back to being dark again luckily.

But it sounding so much like their albums from 10 years ago, one has to wonder, why not fatten up those drums? Why not get a little more production on it? Why not get a few new vocal samples? Why do I feel listening to left-overs rather than a fresh new product when the album was finished?

Hey don't get it wrong, I like this, but I also could put on their first album so would to hear how the sound could be pushed further. Also I think after 3 repeats I will be going back to the first album hah, it's still the best.

between the everything of the noise and the emptiness of the silence.
burdizzo1

« Reply #8251 on: March 17, 2021, 10:00:14 PM »

Yeah, and what's with all these digital-only releases Arditi are doing this weather? I couldn't be bothered with those, but I did also pick up 'Bloodtheism' (on Skullline, of all people) and enjoyed it. But, you're right, it's not much of a march forward.

Well, as we're on about dark martial industrial, I think the LP by Soldat, "Totalitarian", deserves a mention. I keep coming back to it: sparse and simple, but as unsettling as anything. A lot of speech samples from - what shall we say? - 1930s figures (!), low hums and bare martial percussion. Oooh, yes! It's on a youngish Italian label, ASRAR, who've released an awful lot of black metal, noise sludge, and p.e. on vinyl over the past couple of years. I think Zyklon SS's first one is forthcoming from them, too. Anyway, good stuff!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:25:59 PM by burdizzo1 » Logged
impulse manslaughter
Heavy user

« Reply #8252 on: March 19, 2021, 10:19:28 PM »

Alien Brains - Menial Disorders (40th Anniversary Edition) CD on Klanggalerie; never heard any of their releases but saw the name mentioned many times. So when I saw this reissue announced I quickly ordered a copy. Do not really like the layout for this but the booklet includes a nice, long interview that puts the music into perspective which is great. I never like remasters that are overdone but this could've used a little bit extra power. Low in volume and muffled. There are 7 tracks on the original tape but this CD has many more. There aren't any bonus tracks mentioned on the sleeve so i guess they split up the original pieced into short fragments which doesn't really makes sense to me. Didn't listen online before ordering and somehow I was expecting a mix of TNW and Metgumbnerbone but these sounds are primitive old school industrial pieces which feel like loose ideas for tracks shifting in and out of focus, like a long sound collage. I like some of the material but towards the end of the CD it's getting a little too fragmented for me and I'm loosing interest. I know it's classic stuff and I'm happy to own this but it'll take a couple of more spins to convince me.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:39:54 PM by impulse manslaughter » Logged
impulse manslaughter
Heavy user

« Reply #8253 on: March 19, 2021, 10:39:24 PM »

Franck Vigroux ‎– Ballades Sur Lac Gelé CD: i used to follow Raster Noton and bought a lot of their releases. After the split-up I didn't really follow Raster anymore but bought this CD after hearing a track online. Vigroux has a lot of releases which I never heard so I started listening with a fresh ear to this and it really blew me away. Great heavy beats with layered synths and some ambient interludes. I didn't buy a lot of beat-orientated stuff lately so can't compare it to similar recent stuff but this somehow seems to fill the entire room. Just a very wide, massive sound. I've been comparing it to some other records I have and the closest thing I could find was Emptyset (who also have a release on Raster Noton). I'm not an expert on mastering so I don't know if it's about using the right mix of frequencies or expanded stereo but the production of this is really awesome and the tracks are build with precision and care. Recommended for these who like rhythmic electronic music.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:43:27 PM by impulse manslaughter » Logged
Andrew McIntosh
Overkill user

« Reply #8254 on: March 20, 2021, 12:16:01 PM »

Quite enjoying this "Lapdown" release by Junta, a project I only just heard of yesterday. Two long, strong tracks of grimy Harsh Noise from what sounds like object abuse, heavily filtered feedback and probably some synthesiser. Lots of crunch and grind.

EDIT - didn't realise this project was associated with Circle Of Shit.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 12:44:12 PM by Andrew McIntosh » Logged

"Unless suffering is the direct and immediate object of life, our existence must entirely fail of its aim." - Schopenhauer.
W.K.
moderate user

« Reply #8255 on: March 20, 2021, 09:51:05 PM »

Listening to some stuff while working some collage stuffs.

The Cherry Point - Live Hell (CD, Troniks)
Phil Blankenship is about to make you his bitch. And I'm willing to be his.

Linecraft - Industrialized Criminals History (Digital, Hospital Productions)
Not sure what to make of this. It's no noise, and honestly I wouldn't even pass it as industrial. Sounds like either a very early "pre-industrial" cassette from the early 80's or an dungeon synth project trying to do industrial. It's not bad, and the amateurish sound has it's charm for sure, but I can't match it with the strong war-like theme in my head. I do like the tile track with it's dropouts quite a bit though, so it's okay I guess, but those drum patterns and melodies are really too easy and simplistic for my liking.

Ekman ‎– A Pastime For Semi Gods (2x12", Bedouin Records)
Great record from a fellow Dutchman! Somewhere between a more techno-y and colourful Demdike Stare and the raw acid from Bunker records, although if you like Tuning Circuits this might also be for you. Slowly evolving melodies, unpolished high-hats and thick acidy basslines, I like it. Now this is quite a clean record and nowhere hard or rugged, so nothing for the Berghain crowd, but more something you could play at a goth party in-between all the new-wave and post-punk.

Standout track is Margin of Error with its slow and overdriven Gabber beats, dark-wave melody and 80's synths to it. Epic!

between the everything of the noise and the emptiness of the silence.
Andrew McIntosh
Overkill user

« Reply #8256 on: March 22, 2021, 07:16:00 AM »

The latest Subklinik release, "Neuroskizm", is four tracks of the usual, which is just what one wants from Subklinik, with the possible exception of "Pulverise", which is a stark, early Industrial drumachine beat with appropriate noises interspersed on top. The synth waves are dark and echo-y, more warm than cold to my ears but that's fine. Thick analog synth tones, Doom slow swells, Death always wins.

"Unless suffering is the direct and immediate object of life, our existence must entirely fail of its aim." - Schopenhauer.
host body
user

« Reply #8257 on: March 22, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »

Linecraft - Industrialized Criminals History (Digital, Hospital Productions)
Not sure what to make of this. It's no noise, and honestly I wouldn't even pass it as industrial. Sounds like either a very early "pre-industrial" cassette from the early 80's or an dungeon synth project trying to do industrial. It's not bad, and the amateurish sound has it's charm for sure, but I can't match it with the strong war-like theme in my head. I do like the tile track with it's dropouts quite a bit though, so it's okay I guess, but those drum patterns and melodies are really too easy and simplistic for my liking.

I hear enough of Chu Ishikawa in this release to think of it as straight up worship. Great release, possibly due to me totally not expecting anything so melodic.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Overkill user

« Reply #8258 on: March 28, 2021, 06:25:14 PM »

Moozzhead - Beyond Faith cassette - Freak Animal 2020
Exciting to see Mr. Moozz back at it again after 20 years. This is a delightful hit of semi-crunchy, semi-ripping harsh noise. lots of twin channel attack where it seems like two complimentary tracks are playing on either channel. nothing overly edited or complicated, just harsh distorted sounds. I like it! Need to grip the Satatuhatta tape asap.

ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Overkill user

« Reply #8259 on: March 30, 2021, 06:15:42 PM »

Autechre - NTS Sessions 8xCD - Warp, 2018 - I had certain ideas about what 8 hrs of Autechre might sound like. Assumptions that it might be impenetrable; overwhelming; aimless; even boring. These ideas were very wrong. Inspired by my recent review of Autechre's entire discography leading up to elseq, I decided to grab this 8 CD set and take the plunge. I'm going slowly, having listened to the first 4 discs over the last two weeks, trying to savor and really enjoy the experience. What I can say is this isn't the impenetrable mess of bleeps, bloops, and MAX/MSP nightmares I though it'd be. These songs are relatively accessible, even when they're constructed out of more "difficult" sounds and structures. And so far the first 4 discs have been very consistent, an impressive feat for the amount of music on offer. For those here who appreciate computer music and haven't heard this, it's definitely worth a listen. I think listening to a lot of Autechre before diving in helped, but like every Autechre album this one has a language all its own. Special mention to Four Of Seven from Session 1, Disc 2, which has got to be one of the funkiest and easily enjoyable tracks Autechre's done since 1998.

Techno Animal - Re-Entry 2xCD - Virgin, 1995 - kind of insane in retrospect that Virgin had an "ambient" series which featured two different albums by Kevin Martin and JK Broadrick as well as a shit load of double CD comps. The '90s weren't all bad! Anyway, this is an album that just finally clicked for me. I've never owned it, just had the files on the HD for ages, occasionally revisiting to see if I liked it any more. Well whatever mental block is gone and I'm just left with one fine album of dubby/breakbeat/illbient stuff that's chill but a little weird, and then an ever better album of dark ambient sounds that remain effortless engaging. Really good late night shit. And if anyone wants to sell me their physical copy drop me a PM.

Scorn - Ellipsis cassette - Scorn Recordings, 1995 - picked up this remix comp a few years ago cheap at a local record store and damn if it isn't some of the best $5 I've spent in ages. I love this era of 1995-1998 when drum 'n' bass wasn't so codified and you had a lot of producers fucking around with d'n'b elements but doing something not quite club ready. Meat Beat Manifesto shows up here to do just that, and P.C.M. and Germ approach things similarly. It's not quite downtempo or illbient or d'n'b. It's maybe half '90s vampire lounge music, half comedown highway driving stuff. But then Coil, Scanner and especially Bill Laswell show up to get really weird with it. It's like an effortless version of what Blackest Ever Black was trying to cultivate when it started a decade ago. Also, the Autechre remix is a great slice of Tri Repetae era funk. Absolute recommendation for this one if you're willing to entertain some tasteful breakbeats with your experimental music. Trust me, it's way better than you'd think.
Edit... meant to mention, if you like this I'd recommend The Perfect Drug remix CD by NIN. It doesn't get to the same experimental depths but it's a nice slice of '90s electronica going from weird drum & bass to a wide open reinterpretation of The Perfect Drug by NIN themselves into goopy ambient techno. Each remix is substantially different from the last so even though it's 5 versions of the same song it doesn't feel like a slog at all.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:38:20 PM by ConcreteMascara » Logged

MyrtleLake
« Reply #8260 on: March 31, 2021, 11:36:00 PM »

Is anyone else noticing that God Is War is beginning to sound like late-era Scorn (Mick Harris)? I mention it while listening to the latest release on No Rent.
Eigen Bast
user

« Reply #8261 on: April 01, 2021, 07:56:02 PM »

Rogue State - Funeral for Music 2xCS - Hospital, 2021
New noise from the Lussuria homie. Between the bumper sticker, application, and paper test it fully realizes the RSU concept. Rock solid material all the way through; a varied mix of crunchy distortion, loops, near ambient distant sounds, indecipherable mechanical clanking, spattered with a handful of samples and everything coated in a thick sheen of tape hiss. The tracks meander between outright noise and industrial ambience with a sense of humor that is always appreciated. A very "realized" released and a project that I'm stoked to see more of...my application is in.

Haare - The Acid Realm CD - OEC, 2021
This release is 4 tracks of the psychedelic, near musical noise, closely aligned with the prior 2 releases (Brain & Tantric Noise). Maybe a bit more "delicate" than those releases, this one is an exercise in dynamic restraint, pulling up some heavy Kosmiche vibes from the lysergic depths.
theworldisawarfilm
user

« Reply #8262 on: April 01, 2021, 10:03:12 PM »

Rogue State - Funeral for Music 2xCS - Hospital, 2021
New noise from the Lussuria homie. Between the bumper sticker, application, and paper test it fully realizes the RSU concept. Rock solid material all the way through; a varied mix of crunchy distortion, loops, near ambient distant sounds, indecipherable mechanical clanking, spattered with a handful of samples and everything coated in a thick sheen of tape hiss. The tracks meander between outright noise and industrial ambience with a sense of humor that is always appreciated. A very "realized" released and a project that I'm stoked to see more of...my application is in.

Physical version of this was prohibitively expensive for me, but I have been listening digital copy of it like once a day since it came out. Fucking loved it and found it to be a massive refinement of the material from the 'Computer Murder' box. Hope there is much more to come.
Baglady
Heavy user

« Reply #8263 on: April 08, 2021, 09:31:51 AM »

K.M. TOEPFER - Undercut C30 (Absurd Exposition, 2019)
Now, this is two years old now, but it’s new to me. As I recall his stuff from around 2014-15 was clean, precise, glitchy sounding. Not bad, but this is something else. This sounds like The New Sadism but with more meat and a sense of someone in perfect control of the proceedings, and some joecolleyesque ear-tickling textures injected into the mix as well. An odd pair of references maybe, but that’s just how it is. Fucking superb tape! Are the rest of Toepfer’s later tapes in the same vein?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:40:06 AM by Baglady » Logged
Soloman Tump
Heavy user

« Reply #8264 on: April 08, 2021, 09:49:28 PM »

Autechre - NTS Sessions 8xCD - Warp, 2018 - I had certain ideas about what 8 hrs of Autechre might sound like. Assumptions that it might be impenetrable; overwhelming; aimless; even boring. These ideas were very wrong. Inspired by my recent review of Autechre's entire discography leading up to elseq, I decided to grab this 8 CD set and take the plunge. I'm going slowly, having listened to the first 4 discs over the last two weeks, trying to savor and really enjoy the experience. What I can say is this isn't the impenetrable mess of bleeps, bloops, and MAX/MSP nightmares I though it'd be. These songs are relatively accessible, even when they're constructed out of more "difficult" sounds and structures. And so far the first 4 discs have been very consistent, an impressive feat for the amount of music on offer. For those here who appreciate computer music and haven't heard this, it's definitely worth a listen. I think listening to a lot of Autechre before diving in helped, but like every Autechre album this one has a language all its own. Special mention to Four Of Seven from Session 1, Disc 2, which has got to be one of the funkiest and easily enjoyable tracks Autechre's done since 1998.

I have the 12xLP box set of this release.  It really took me a while to absorb the album - there is so much of it! It still feels quite distant to me; I have not connected to it like I have many other autechre albums.  There are definitely stand out tracks but overall I struggle since it is so huge.  I keep meaning to try and make a few condensed playlists.

SIGN/PLUS from last year feels like it was treading old ground a bit; the first time an autechre album has done that for me.  Lush sound design and constantly evolving structures as you would expect though.  They are still top tier producers for me.

Dismal electronics from Devon
https://clairvont.bandcamp.com/releases
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 547 548 549 550 [551] 552 553
  Print  

Jump to: