PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Stoa on May 13, 2016, 11:54:10 PM...anyone remember mp3.com?

Yes, and I recall projects like Iron Justice, Nordvagr, Illusion Of Safety, Big City Orchestra and others using it, as well as a great many lesser known projects. It was very good while it lasted, I used to enjoy poking around looking for new music at the time.
Shikata ga nai.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on May 14, 2016, 05:49:13 AM
Quote from: Stoa on May 13, 2016, 11:54:10 PM...anyone remember mp3.com?

Yes, and I recall projects like Iron Justice, Nordvagr, Illusion Of Safety, Big City Orchestra and others using it, as well as a great many lesser known projects. It was very good while it lasted, I used to enjoy poking around looking for new music at the time.
In case I was unclear, that was my point. Lots of pretty great bands used mp3 in the early 2000s, and in many ways Bandcamp is just a better (and more financially viable?) incarnation of the same basic idea.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

FreakAnimalFinland

IRON FIST OF THE SUN "Family Survival Strategy" tape
Unrest
Somehow unusually nice design in cover. Almost like it would be done by someone... how to say it.. real designer? Clever placement of band logo vs. simple yet effective artwork. Colors very striking and it's all well in line with front, inside and tape itself! While I sometimes think IFOTS could expand his horizon more, each time I listen his works, I can conclude that he actually does. While some of the tracks here are simply guaranteed IFOTS style tracks, there are some more unusual pieces, like usage of eerie slow moving feedback. Good tape!

THE RITA / MANIA "Together they're murder" tape
Bacteria Field
The era of Rita when he was doing extreme brutal harsh noise. Simple, to the point, yet powerful. No complaints! I think Mania had some bonus material here? Original release was 2006 CDR limited to ridiculous 20 copies. Now with 100 tapes, it gets to heard much wider audience. Mania does his "usual", yet as many times said, despite being often from same ingredients, each release has different form.

I C K "Abuses non tollit usum" tape
Bacteria Field
I was quite surprised. I-C-K tape on small american noise label?! This French industrial band has formerly published mostly vinyl and on labels like     La Nouvelle Alliance or Hau Ruck. Since 90's. And now, suddenly xerox cover, old typewriter texts. This tape collects all non album tracks 2001 until 2006. I guess singles, compilations and according cover also unreleased. It is album length of material. I'm pretty sure big part of audience may have never heard the project before. It's just my gut feeling that the "american tape scene" and french industrial don't strongly overlap? I C K stuff is mostly drum machine beats and noises. One could lump it somewhere with Slave State, early Esplendor Geometrico and such. I never been big fan of project, but from this tape, it somehow feels better than many actual vinyl releases.

V/A "A GROUP OF PERVERTS" tape
Bacteria Field
Deterge is musically good, but vocals are sucky. Mania always delivers the goods. Wonderland Club piece is longest on the compilation and its perverse approach probably satisfies anyone who are familiar with the case. Vasculae is Jon Borges more recent projects. His tape on White Centipede Noise was great. And his works here doesn't fail either. No Dreams is fine, but what really made me wonder, why Jonathan Canady track is so shitty? Is this done with the famous modulars? I generally think that whole modular synth scene is annoying, so perhaps it is just another proof. Between good stuff, this track presents absolute weakness. Purity Of Essence luckily fixes the problem with almost 10 minute track. Comes with large size xerox 'zine. Bacteria Field seems like label well worth of keeping eye!

QUACK QUACK / MILOS OLYMPOS split tape
White Centipede Noise
Not much expectations based on names and graphics, but fuck, luckily I'm quite happy to give chance to a lot of stuff. Since Quack Quack harsh noise blast really nails it. This is prime example why one should go for unknown (... at least to me!) releases without hesitation. No matter if you get few less exciting tapes here and there, then occasionally you're just blown away by sheer massive energy of good harsh noise. Milos Olympos ain't bad, but simply can't match the power of the first side! Good to see WCN label back in business!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

cr

GRUNT: Seer of Decay 2CD

Been a while since I listened to it the last time. Started first with CD 2.
Just fucking great!

Yrjö-Koskinen

Sleep column - Damien (Nihil Worship, digital download)
I can't help myself with this stuff. It's just two bucks, and then you get approximately an hour of wall. This seems to go for all Nihil Worship releases, except for a few that goes even further. Today an "album" was released that contains ten walls of over an hour each - that costs $5. Anyway, this is not bad. Bass laden and crunchy - and wiggle me timbers if there aren't a few very subtle changes and stuff going on inside (not the kind you can detect by skipping through the track though - this isn't Kylie Minogue). I can't help get the feeling that it would be much nicer if the Russian (?) fellow behind this label, and probably at least a few of the bands released, got himself a second job at the Putin lapel pin factory, cut back on the mass production, and used the extra time and money to release some of the better stuff on tape, CD, or even just simply CDr. Digital only takes something away, even for something as pure and nihil-y as these HNWs. Apparently it doesn't take enough away to keep me from buying, though, so I guess I'm part of the problem.

lonelyroads

Quote from: Stoa on May 14, 2016, 10:30:39 PM
Sleep column - Damien (Nihil Worship, digital download)
I can't help myself with this stuff. It's just two bucks, and then you get approximately an hour of wall. This seems to go for all Nihil Worship releases, except for a few that goes even further. Today an "album" was released that contains ten walls of over an hour each - that costs $5. Anyway, this is not bad. Bass laden and crunchy - and wiggle me timbers if there aren't a few very subtle changes and stuff going on inside (not the kind you can detect by skipping through the track though - this isn't Kylie Minogue). I can't help get the feeling that it would be much nicer if the Russian (?) fellow behind this label, and probably at least a few of the bands released, got himself a second job at the Putin lapel pin factory, cut back on the mass production, and used the extra time and money to release some of the better stuff on tape, CD, or even just simply CDr. Digital only takes something away, even for something as pure and nihil-y as these HNWs. Apparently it doesn't take enough away to keep me from buying, though, so I guess I'm part of the problem.

I've noticed that with allot digital download HNW stuff & why i focus on vomir, the rita & others more.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: lonelyroads on May 15, 2016, 01:11:14 PM
I've noticed that with allot digital download HNW stuff & why i focus on vomir, the rita & others more.

Yeah. With them there are reasons for doing what they do. The guy from Vomir has spoken repeatedly about how he actually spends hours just listening to his own walls, and only records them when someone wants to do a release. In the case of The Rita it feels like part of the bands development, of experimenting with minimalism and so forth. Purely generic HNW, with no particular concept outside clichés and the uncontrolled production of massive amounts of same-y material, is not as interesting. It can still be good (I kind of liked both Nihil Worship downloads), but not as interersting.

ddmurph

macronympha tapes sunday here ...

insane torture device
grind
whorechestra
ovmn - s/t
ovmn/one dark eye split
mxm - flesh biting paedophile

solid way to spend a sunday.

been spending a lot of time with the skin crime box (which goes beyond saying is incredible) over the past while also.

aububs

i just cannot afford that skin crime box and it's killing me.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: aububs on May 16, 2016, 09:23:05 PM
i just cannot afford that skin crime box and it's killing me.

You should probably just use up your savings, or borrow in whatever humiliating fashion from someone. I put off buying the Industrial Recollections editions of Streicher, which were available for a VERY long time, and when I finally got around to try and get them, they were gone. On Discogs they are now also completely impossible to find, or (in one case) banned, so there you go.

lonelyroads

Quote from: Stoa on May 15, 2016, 05:24:44 PM
Quote from: lonelyroads on May 15, 2016, 01:11:14 PM

Yeah. With them there are reasons for doing what they do. The guy from Vomir has spoken repeatedly about how he actually spends hours just listening to his own walls, and only records them when someone wants to do a release. In the case of The Rita it feels like part of the bands development, of experimenting with minimalism and so forth. Purely generic HNW, with no particular concept outside clichés and the uncontrolled production of massive amounts of same-y material, is not as interesting. It can still be good (I kind of liked both Nihil Worship downloads), but not as interersting.

Yeah what annoy's me is how some HNW netlables/artists seem to use love realising there stuff at 128 - 224 MP3 when using flac is possible. Considering how easy it is break MP3 with music tamer than noise its kinda unacceptable.

burdizzo

Really enjoy the new Sutcliffe Jugend one on Cold Spring - great patterns and fantastic vocals. Probably my favourite track is the dynamic 'Slice', but they're all good. Saw SJ live last year in London, and they were absolutely amazing. Anyone hear the one on OEC, or the one on Deathcontinues? I assume he saves his best stuff for Cold Spring?

D. Davis

Any distros holding on the Skin Crime box? Already sold out through Hospital???

SiClark

Quote from: D. Davis on May 17, 2016, 01:45:20 AM
Any distros holding on the Skin Crime box? Already sold out through Hospital???
Don't know what country you live in but there's this place -

https://midheaven.com/item/case-studies-in-early-taxidermy-techniques-by-skin-crime#.VzrE6uTrSb0

a_2_g_2