PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Mutant Video / Memory Smoker - "Confusion Is Heaven, Reality Is Hell" cassette - I really dig Mutant Video's guitar and synth driven easy-listening industrial. and their releases always seem to get better as they progress. here it's no different the last few tracks, especially the last one are just extremely good. Memory Smoker is a bit more psychedelic and less motorik. maybe people here would dig it more. it's got an organic feel, but definitely different than something like Swedish tape noise. definitely recommended listening.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

burdizzo

I must say, I like Iron Fist Of The Sun quite a lot already, but I think Blush - recently re-released on CD by Unrest - could well be one of their best. Hardly a weak track on it, and varied enough, too, between jabbing 'noise', and smoother synth stuff. Well worth it.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Zeno Marx on March 11, 2016, 08:35:56 PM
Thanks.  I hadn't heard of Jean-Claude Eloy.  I'm liking this excerpt a lot:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXNka4oXsRI

That was the clip that sold me, too. On both Borderlines and Le Minuit de la Foi-  even though I found the clip for Le Minuit thoroughly unconvincing... I'm a sucker that way. But, by the curious alchemy that applies to these things, Le Minuit has come to easily surpass Borderlines- almost purely on compositional merit. It's one of those weird equations where I have this sneaking suspicion that I've successfully hoodwinked myself into preferring something I objectively should not. Wouldn't be the first time.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on March 16, 2016, 05:14:10 PM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on March 11, 2016, 08:35:56 PM
Thanks.  I hadn't heard of Jean-Claude Eloy.  I'm liking this excerpt a lot:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXNka4oXsRI

That was the clip that sold me, too. On both Borderlines and Le Minuit de la Foi-  even though I found the clip for Le Minuit thoroughly unconvincing... I'm a sucker that way. But, by the curious alchemy that applies to these things, Le Minuit has come to easily surpass Borderlines- almost purely on compositional merit. It's one of those weird equations where I have this sneaking suspicion that I've successfully hoodwinked myself into preferring something I objectively should not. Wouldn't be the first time.
This could, or should, be in the drone and ambient thread.  It's a nice track, and the uploader added an appropriate video to it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QAsCaX_0lE
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bloated Slutbag

Knurl - Ectodurotomy tape
It's been said that, with Ectodurotomy, Knurl is at an all-time high. Quite the claim- but ten seconds in and the head is nodding agreement. Two minutes in and the earholes are, if yet to be sold, well on their way to being smoked. Ecto hits very fast and hard, front-loading a full bevy of full-in-body, metal-on-metal, screech. The peaks are as precise and crystalline as those scaled on other recent notables, such as Thoracia and Acetylphasia, but roughed up with some satisfyingly raw and shredded nerve-endings. "For optimum listening results, playback through headphones." Result: top marks in the areas of RAW and HARSH. Cue the echo chamber and the sloooow sink...  deep into icy smooth wells of white-tinged psych-reverberation -eration -eration -eration... and, just when you're about lulled into a false sense of harmonicaness, pressure lets up, precision-guided percussive blast 'n grind slams down. Again! Again! The head starts to bang out agreements, the occasional "fuck yeah" escapes the lips. New strains of white-tinged psych reverberation, but informed by brutally sharp and incisive shrieks scouring the edges. This is rawness borne purely by texture and balanced by hand practiced in the art of tension-release. If it were "just" about the tension we'd have us a solid piece of work. But Ecto is elevated equal parts by design – the rough-hewn steel-trappings that define the project – and by a constant sense of forward movement propelled by never-to-relent physio-cranial concussion. On the flip-side, gaping spaces, near silences. Enter... salacious shiver... deliciously excruciating soundhole tortures, parting of razor-licked lips, carefully composed peeling back of blistered skin, the rendings no less savage for all their deliberate, white-hot, nail dragging. At this point our "crystalline" peaks are starting to sound a bit burnt out, though it could simply be the holes pleading in vain for mercy from the increasingly deaf. "Melanomastoid" is the wonderfully climactic orgy of no-holds-barred all-out harshwank, occasional breaks in relent only there to accentuate the sweetly sadistic punishment. Pummelment. Physio-cranial concussionment. Holes so well fucked they could almost swear they detect guitar abuse in there- a common error of perception when steel chain is applied to strings of a "saw blade violin". Optimum listening results my ass. About the only thing to be perceived at this point is the need of hearing aid in the very near future.

* edited out dickheadism
And take you for a drag

MT

V/A - Red Scum CD
A split/compilation with a fine theme, suits my taste. Bizarre Uproar has a track that resembles a bit more of the 2008'ish era? Vicious junk metal abuse, delayed vocals and other instrumentation thrown in the mix, highly enjoyable. Garden of Power has two tracks, both have good vocal work to my ears and soundwise quite well crafted. First appearance of this project, I think. Maybe more to come? XE delivers as usual, WW2 samples, feedback drenched march to holocaust. Pogrom has last two songs, Stribai especially is a war waging, fist raising anthem! Perhaps the best single song of Pogrom I've heard. Closes out with a track hateful vocals, more of a gloomy and desperate atmosphere. Lyrics being in Lithuania, I probably miss the key element but neverthless! Great CD, definately a worth of picking up.

cr

HUMAN LARVAE "Behind Blinding Light" LP

Excellent! HL always 'speaks' to me on a very  personal level. One of my early highlights from 2016. The first track(s) on side B (Psychosis / Epiphany / Exit) is my favourite!

jadderly

Quote from: Ashmonger on March 15, 2016, 10:02:40 PM

Of Earth And Sun - Uncoiled (CD, Malignant Records):Wasn't into it directly when listening on the Malignant bandcamp page at work, but now I wonder why. Absolutely great Ritual/Ambient work!

Of  Earth And Sun - A Consuming Fire (C60, Maniacal Hatred): Same style as the album, very good again.

Both of these releases grew on me. I got the CD is my last "budget CD bundle" order from Malignant.

If anything the tape release (also available as a Bandcamp download) is even better because it's shorter and more concentrated. Looking forward to seeing where the project goes next.

ConcreteMascara

Variable Mind - Everybody Stink (Demo) - MP3 - guitar/bass oriented industrial/no wave from half of Mutant Video. more than anything this release makes me think of the scene in Lynch's "Wild At Heart" when Sailor and Lula happen upon on a car accident on the side of the road, in the middle of the night, finding a girl stumbling around with massive head injury. The overall vibe reminds me of Wolf Eye's "Dread", but less skin crawling and sinister. Shitty drum machine beats, disinterested vocals and either guitar or bass make up all the tracks in different arrangements. yet it's quite pleasing in it's simplicity, and it's good driving music too. recommended if everything you listen to doesn't have to be hate filled.
https://variablemind.bandcamp.com/

Overdose Support - Babylon Healthcare System - Cassette - noise rock/noisy hardcore with bits of squealing electronics mixed in. really big fan of the vocals which get some nice effects here and there. the first and last tracks sound the best to me.

At Jennie Richie - Rectums Merging - 12" - ambient with a nice rhythmic underpinning from these West Coast weirdos. sounds much older than it's release date in the best possible way. almost an early Aphex Twin vibe.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

VelvetCurtain

Wince - Traum

Crushing and amazing. Was great watching the few sets I caught him do here in Minneapolis but this is really a whole different ballgame. Total control. Pure power and development of strength. American harsh noise at its finest.

eyestrain

Vapaudenristi "Ikuinen Kuolema" (Sakaramiina): Trying to not gush... Fuck me I love this band. Denser recording like the '10 and '12 demos, which remain my favorite. Mr. Pyhä's bass playing is greatly improved. Still a fuck ton of variety between tracks without sounding much at all like any previously recorded pieces. Cream of the fuckin' crop!

V/A "A a Group Of Sexual Perverts" (Bacteria Field): Future classic right here. Not a weak track and a few that are pure sex. Deterge's opener and Canady's bit get the highest regards from me. First one is just gorgeous, gritty harsh noise. Canady is kinda cut up, but so damn filthy it's got this incredibly pleasing early industrial vibe. Hard to pin. Highly, highly recommended you find a copy.

Von Einem "The Von Einem Tapes" (Index Clean): 2+ hours of beautiful PE meets experimental noise abuse. Best taken in small doses I think as the variety is not too massive, but the quality certainly is. Forgot how good this project was every time I heard it. Many moments are reminiscent of Prurient's magnificent early output, which is perfectly fine by me!

VelvetCurtain

Quote from: eyestrain on March 21, 2016, 11:25:29 PM

V/A "A a Group Of Sexual Perverts" (Bacteria Field): Future classic right here. Not a weak track and a few that are pure sex. Deterge's opener and Canady's bit get the highest regards from me. First one is just gorgeous, gritty harsh noise. Canady is kinda cut up, but so damn filthy it's got this incredibly pleasing early industrial vibe. Hard to pin. Highly, highly recommended you find a copy.

Mania and No Dreams tracks are my favorites on this, for sure.

Bloated Slutbag

Wince - Traum cd
Here is someone clearly conversant in delivery of shitload. Shitload of fat chunky blurt spread wide and runny over bruised and battered field of pure flatulence. Tight-arsed scrap-compaction, crumpled scritch, rumpled scratch. Convergence of brittle textures, equal parts acoustic and electronic, rattling about your skull, an open invitation to appreciate the subtle gradations of unsaturated flat. It takes a while, the dropping of the load neatly drawn out, drawing in focus, soundholes straining for more more more. Radio dials spin through grainy snowbelts, bits of voice burble below the radar. A loosening of the belt and a dip into blabbering brook, mechanized crank. At 4:45 or so a further unloading, jagged junks gouging at heavier, thud-derous, undertow. A slight contraction, and then at the seven minute mark the shit hits the flat: fatter, chunkier blurts forced through sphinct-cracks, splattering in through from every whichever. The field starts to fill out, attain some heft, a certain sense of physical dimension and force. A prevalence now of slightly char-burnt constriction, more sudden expansion, digging down, layering up, attention chasing an uneven series of micromovements before halting toward the end in long slow grind unto extinction. Peak attention thus piqued, "Traum 2" wastes no time ripping into flatus erruptus proper. No real constriction or expansion. No builds into heavier textures. Pure fire. Over and done. Wait a second... Am I trauming or have a heard this before? Flatulant fields. Pure fire. You say Cracksteel I say CrackFUCKINGsteel. At the most concentrated moments I'm tempted to jump into The Kingdom Of Pain (Sac-22), with particular attention reserved for "Into the Drift and Sway". No shittin ya laddie. Alright. Nothing quite so saturated, but certainly no less busy. Without ever really altering general tone, cracked steel scraploads cycle through quite the unyielding play of butt-ruptured drift and spray. Less concentrated moments reveal certain depths otherwise hidden under the massed filths, and it is in fact these moments that elevate this most brutal of servings, serving to drag your noisehead deep into the many and varied cracks, cavities, fissures. A good gauge of the effectiveness of a given noise is its potential at any given volume, low, mid, high, ridonkulous. Now we all know what the noisedonkey demands, but it's somehow just that finer grain more satisfying when you can drift asleep to this without worrying that you'll wake up in the morning with your earholes blasted to kingdom fucked. Look, you have your lullaby, asshole, I have mine. The third and final Traum is perhaps the most traditional in presentation, quick build into sudden screech-flecked splurge, rumpled corporal punishment, assorted spitting and sputtering fighting for dominance. Here it as though burnt scrap sources are struggling to assert themselves in a steaming feedback chamber, backwashed howl punctured by the occasional well-aimed fist, continuous sloppy bled out oscillations successfully mimicking confused and abused earholes ringing from the impact.
And take you for a drag

Marko-V

Just been listening to a couple of trades from Kohei (Guilty C. / Gravity Swarm Recordings).

Grim Talkers - Grimy city CD
Did not know much about this Kohei's project but it is still quite surprise. Mixture of noise with late night ambience, sound fx & easy lounge jazz elements. Really unique stuff, stands out from the rest of so called experimental stuff. Not necessarily a best choice for genre nazis or die-hard PE police officers.
Guilty C. - Bury #6 CD
Two tracks, first clocking at 35 mins. Starts quietly with a spooky drone evolving into harsh noise hysteria only to return back to quiet drone. 2nd shorter track is quite basic noise fading in and fading out. Very nice.
Ming - Namaste CDr
Did not know anything about this but it looked cool so I thought to give it a try. 'Quiet noise', abstract - lots of tuning and fiddling with electronics (and maybe toy instruments - at least it sounds so) & concrete sounds. Nothing spectacular, or maybe just hard to get into at one listen. Afterwards I found out that Ming is actually a project by Birchville Cat Motel / Campbell Kneale and that makes me bit more disappointed about this release because I like BCM stuff.

And on my rotation is also a big bunch of Vietnamese vintage 7" singles, about which you can read here:
http://ikuinen-kaamos.blogspot.com/2016/03/back-home-from-vietnam-with-some-vinyls.html

TS

Quote from: eyestrain on March 21, 2016, 11:25:29 PM
V/A "A a Group Of Sexual Perverts" (Bacteria Field): Future classic right here. Not a weak track and a few that are pure sex. Deterge's opener and Canady's bit get the highest regards from me. First one is just gorgeous, gritty harsh noise. Canady is kinda cut up, but so damn filthy it's got this incredibly pleasing early industrial vibe. Hard to pin. Highly, highly recommended you find a copy

This is fucking great. Thanks for the tip!
Kropper uten Mellomrom