DAVID JACKMAN / ORGANUM

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 14, 2009, 07:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LIFE

Maybe having tea time gave guys like Jackman more patience. Though I don't think you need patience or to spend months/years working on anything for it to matter. A problem is a lot of artists just reach a point where they're so established that they "rest on their character" for everything even as they fail, which is different from just exploring isolated ideas or being adventurous. A good artist to me isn't always in control of everything but at least he knows when "something's not right". It's like a friend who starts off telling a couple stupid jokes when he's drunk, then they never stop because you laughed out of respect the first time. I don't know how to avoid it...

SILVUM--Some of the other stuff is worth talking about though may be best for another topic in the art section or somewhere, but just look at the lists I made in on the noisefanatics board. The lists were half-comedy but all of that stuff is a symptom of failing. "Check one or more boxes and tally them up at the end for diagnosis"....

Bloated Slutbag

Missed this first time around.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 18, 2009, 08:46:14 PM
Quote from: heretogo on December 18, 2009, 07:26:52 PM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on December 16, 2009, 12:34:36 PM
For a few days I almost persuaded myself this was true - because I really really wanted it to be. Then reality set in.

Can you explain this a bit more?

I would assume it is the case, where you listen material and want to assume it has something special. You want to feel it is MORE than you actually hear, but in the end it seems less than you hear.

What he said.

But let me say I'm in no way disparaging my prior enjoyment of the work. Just because I've decided that one assessment is more firmly planted in reality than the other does not mean it's more valid. I don't know much about reality, probably wouldn't know reality if it bit me in the ass. I'm not really interested in living in the "real world". Lack of interest in that kind of world is half of what fuels my passion for the more easily accessible, more apparently bullshit-saturated, world of sound. With that in mind, Verhalte Dich Ruhig may re-enter regular Slutbag rotation at any time.

Not sure this explains anything but it may partially excuse my prediliction for a little Spasticity every once in a while.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

saw some news in tesco mailinglist about new organum stuff offering new approach. And old (was it 3rd?) Jackmann tape out now on CD.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bitewerksMTB

Has David Jackman ever performed live? I don't believe I've ever seen anything about live performances, interviews, or photos (If he's never done any of those, that's GREAT!).

I like that "Ikon" 2x12" set; wish I hadnt traded/sold it. Nice art & sound. Kind of like the flute-thing & feedback. If mixed with the junkmetal, it'd be amazing.

Steve

I seem to remember seeing a listing in 1997 for Organum live at the Spitz Club in London.

catharticprocess

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 27, 2010, 10:03:11 AM
saw some news in tesco mailinglist about new organum stuff offering new approach. And old (was it 3rd?) Jackmann tape out now on CD.

I didn't see this on their site.  Any details?

FreakAnimalFinland

It was in "coming soon" section where upcoming titles are listed. I don't think they list such on website. I deleted the message already, so memories are pretty vague. Just remember that old tape re-issued what was originally self released on his label. And that new material with new approach coming too.

EDIT: Just realised that I didn't specify that I wasn't talking about Tesco release, but their newsletter about upcoming distributed titles. Don't remember which label was putting these out.

catharticprocess

I searched for Tesco in my deleted messages and found it - it's a restock of "Up From Zero," I believe.  There are still new copies floating around - maybe even from the label.

bogskaggmannen

There is a upcoming new Organum CD called "Sorow" on Siren Records due now in March. We'll be getting some copies for the Segerhuva mailorder (which will open again soon). I don't expect it to be a noisy recording - more in line of the recent organ trilogy with an added bell and some other sounds (according to the press release).

bogskaggmannen

Segerhuva now has copies in stock at the magnificent price of 18 EUR + postage a piece. Will update the mailorder with this and a bunch of other stuff very soon.

It features one long 42 minute track, continuing in the same vein as the last organ CDs now together with sitardrone, punctuated with occational bells and orchestral hornblows. Relaxing stuff and as the pressrelease said - very "global" in approach to sound sources. Don't expect anything noisy. The CD comes in a thick cardboard sleeve, as the old vinyl gatefolds, with VERY minimal artwork and information.

FreakAnimalFinland

Damn. The quest for buying his releases blindly, without knowing what is coming, can have very nice results.

ORGANUM / DAVID JACKMAN "Penquins eat fish/Little Dark Wing" 7"
Robot Records rr-33
You think about the name and wonder could it be good? Well, risky investment of c. 10 euro and it was actually very nice.
A-side is more like modern day industrial music. It starts with the lo-fi drone sound, soon appears militaristic marching drum is perhaps more scottish wibe. Like beginning of the bag pipe atrocities. Heavy and colossal boat horn blows in accurate tempo, giving monumental feeling to snare drum march. Fast trumpet fanfares are kind of out of tempo perhaps, but mixed in distance. It's not drenched in reverb like they'd do on the uniform fetishist industrial scene, nor there is vocals, and also how does the title of track relate to sound, is unknown to me. But most importantly, it simply works. It's all about the obsessive loop process. And I won't complain about that in this case.

B-side is his solo works. It is extremely minimalistic piano. Basically two different chords, bounded slowly, between c. 5 seconds. Hard attack, which probably gets compressed by recording methods, and the tone of piano echoing with the natural style of this instrument. There is nothing else really in the composition. 2 chords are being played perhaps slightly over 2 minutes and in end of piece you hear the sound of penquin. Strength of piece is absolutely just the piano and format. Composition itself is nothing out of ordinary. But on side of 45rpm 7" with just the pure acoustic instrument with its natural sound. Well, it works.

bogskaggmannen

Any elaborative comments on the new 7" ("Valentin") released on Equation of all labels? I haven't heard it and would consider buying it but need a few words from trustworthy sources first. Please, don't mention the price...

Zeno Marx

taken from Malignant, but not written by him...

"Organum - Valentin 7 inch (Equation Records: E=MC23)

233 numbered copies. Heavy matte picture sleeve plus matching card insert (both full CMYK). First vinyl release by Organum in over 7 years. It is hard to underestimate the importance and significance of Organum. David Jackman (the force behind the project) wishes the audio to speak for itself and prefers not to attempt to describe the contents of this release. However, it is worthy to note that the greatest possible care was made to every aspect of this release -- which was mastered at Prairie Cat Mastering, who provided the most clear and dynamic audio possible. A release worthy of inclusion in the extensive discography of Organum."

I had to laugh at that mastering part.  Prairie Cat (previously known at Metropolis in Chicago) is one of the worst mastering joints in the USA.  They're inexpensive, quick, and used by A LOT of labels...but that doesn't mean diddly-doo.  I hate that guy's ear.  If there is one mastering joint that knows how to suck the life right out of a recording, it is Prairie Cat.  It isn't a 100% sure thing, but it happens often enough...too often.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

acsenger

I've been listening to Organum & David Jackman tonight and I was reminded again that, like stated in this thread before, Jackman's is a strange and unique sound world that I'll have to keep exploring. I'm very far from knowing most of his releases, and while I'm planning to buy more, what I'd especially be interested in is if he has any more releases in the vein of Organum/David Jackman's Penguins Eat Fish/Little Dark Wing 7" or the first track on Organum's Die Hennen Zähne 3" CD. These pieces are not in his usual droning style; instead they seem like single elements of very different kinds of music taken out of their original context and pasted together to create pieces that are surprising and unusual. Or they're little more than an idea, like side B of the aforementioned 7" (Mikko described this 7" very well in this thread), but they're simply great regardless. I love these pieces, so I'd like to read recommendations about further releases with this kind of approach. I love Jackman's more usual "metal droning" style too and have a number of Organum releases in that vein, but I imagine there are a few musical surprises among Organum's/Jackman's (and related, like A Mouse Orchestra and Lost Shadow) releases (especially perhaps the countless 7"'s?).

Zeno Marx

There's a Rarities and Unreleased 3CD out there.  It's not official, but it makes hearing the short, expensive 7"s convenient.  HERE  I think you can find it lossless, too.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.