Previous topic - Next topic

hateful.neglect

Quote from: RyanWreck on July 03, 2010, 01:19:10 AM
Quote from: hateful.neglect on July 02, 2010, 11:45:37 PM
Quote from: RyanWreck on July 02, 2010, 10:49:04 PM
Quote from: hateful.neglect on July 02, 2010, 04:09:34 PM
Quote from: heretogo on June 11, 2010, 09:03:21 PM
Funeral Mongoloids - Fuck Is Best When God Is Dead tape
Super great chaos! Works suprisingly well for a tape this long (c-40, I think). I'm not versed in the canon of noisecore, recommendations for more stuff like this would be appreciated. As chaotic as possible, please!

For a start, you shouldn't have much of a problem getting a hold of stuff by Nihilist Commando, Permanent Death, or Seven Minutes of Nausea right now. I've been listening to a lot of Exacerbacion, Cacasonica, Colico, Napalm Death is Dead, Atrofia Cerebral, and the above lately.

Choatic, messy, harsh Noisecore is the only type I like. Check these records/tapes out:

Endless Humiliation - My Wife is Willing
Trash Dog - Wasted Gift
Infarction - EP (this one is nearly impossible to buy now so here is a link to download it, and I have been given permission from the band to upload this: http://www.sendspace.com/file/r72gm4 )
Deep Jew - Ugliest Man Dog
Deep Jew - War
Tortured Hooker - Sexual Homicide (more Grindy, features Dom Fernow. Heavy, fast and great)
Escalator - Demo

While I understand the similarities, I think we're talking about different things (Tortured Hooker being the only thing out of that list I would consider noisecore). I guess we shouldn't have a full-on discussion about noisecore in this thread, but check Mikko's definition here: www.cfprod.com/noisecore

That's fine, everyone is open to their own opinions. I am just wondering how bands like Endless Humiliation (whose entire album is a stumbling Black Metal, ildjarn styled blastbeat with barely any riffs at all), Trash Dog (especially the album I suggested) and Deep Jew aren't Noisecore? They fit with Mikko's idea of Noisecore, which by the way doesn't mean that is the definition of Noisecore just cause Mikko wrote it. The only band there that does not have blastbeats is Infarction. All of the others do as well as "chaotic guitar/bass noise and vocals", hardly any discernible riffs which are usually sloppy and chaotic with lo-fi recording aesthetics.

I most definitely didn't say that Mikko's description was correct because it was Mikko's; it happens to be the most accessible and complete definition available though. Really, there are things it doesn't cover, and - as can be seen - using terms like "chaotic guitar/bass noise and vocals" is open to interpretation.

The one key item from his definition that is missing from the bands you are suggesting is the brevity of the songs (or bursts, of whatever, since saying "songs" implies a distinct beginning and end, which not all noisecore has). Playing improvised rock music on it's own doesn't cut it.

Quote from: RyanWreck on July 03, 2010, 01:19:10 AM
The original poster was asking about bands that are similar to Funeral Mongoloids, who themselves don't really have that sound which is talked about on the link you posted. Most of the bands I listed (besides Tortured Hooker) all fit within the same general area as FM. I would also add Cryptic Salve Band to my list.

This may be an issue of us both interpreting his intention differently, but since he said he wasn't familiar with noisecore and then asked for recommendations, I assumed that's what he was asking for, and that's what I offered.

I'm sorry, but most Funeral Mongoloids does have that sound. One track on a comp without distinct bursts and some extended noise jams on the other releases doesn't erase the majority of their sound. I was unfamiliar with Cryptic Salve Band, so I just listened through their stuff on Myspace, and while some of it has that sound, the sheer majority does not. The Trash Dog tape you suggested is even further removed from that.

Noisecore, as far as I'm talking about, as far as I think Mikko's noisecore site discusses it, and as far as pretty much everyone I know that listens to it, makes it etc. can also be boiled down to this: Does it sound similar to the burst stuff produced by Anal Cunt, Seven Minutes of Nausea, Sore Throat, Brigada Do Odio, or Gerogerigegege? Then it's noisecore. If it it doesn't, then it's not.

hateful.neglect

Quote from: magnus on July 03, 2010, 01:25:11 AM
Speaking of noisecore how about Deche-charge from Canada, are they still around? I did a mail interview with them some 12-13 years ago, really nice chap, but among the most "un-musical" i´ve heard (at least back then...). Actually it sounded like shit, haha! I was fascinated that someone would make music like this, Gerogerigegege i could comprehend, but not this...

Deche-Charge is around still, or rather again, and churning out more releases than I can keep up with, or want to.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: RyanWreck on July 03, 2010, 12:01:32 PMI've always been under the impression that Anal Cunt, Sore Throat and (especially) Brigada Do Odio were all Grindcore bands.
These are noise-core bands.  Certainly not grindcore.  There's more audience cross-pollination than from the bands.  Very few bands, like Columbia's Confusion, are blatantly both.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

hateful.neglect

Quote from: RyanWreck on July 03, 2010, 12:01:32 PM
Does it sound similar to the burst stuff produced by Anal Cunt, Seven Minutes of Nausea, Sore Throat, Brigada Do Odio, or Gerogerigegege? Then it's noisecore. If it it doesn't, then it's not.
I've always been under the impression that Anal Cunt, Sore Throat and (especially) Brigada Do Odio were all Grindcore bands. Yes, they are noisy but so are a lot of Grind bands. Chickenshit, Anal Safyra and Melanocetus Murrayi could also fit nicely into this cubbyhole.

Jesus. Chickenshit (assuming you mean the one that did a split with Unholy Grave) is a hardcore band, and Melanocetus Murrayi is a noisecore band (largely improvised, blasting drums, guitar noise, microsongs - it's all there).

Noisecore largely exists in between grind, punk, hardcore, and noise (with some bands also grabbing from other places as well), but is often associated most closely with grind, with - as Zeno said - audience crossover, as well as bands that release material in both genres, start as one and then move to the other, etc. The two developed at about the same time while taking the same bands as influence. Anal Cunt did move onto shitty joke hardcore/grind, Sore Throat put out punk and noise records, and Brigada Do Odio put out a punk record later as well.

Quote from: RyanWreck on July 03, 2010, 12:01:32 PM
So bands like Endless Humiliation (who, out of all the bands I have seen mentioned here, sound the most like FM to me), Sacred Assault, Word Of Command, Deep Jew, Cadaver in Drag, etc. are what, then?

I don't know, but it's not "noisecore" in the way that it's being talked about in regards to FM or Tortured Hooker, who both have far more in common with the bands I've previously mentioned than with Deep Jew, Cadaver in Drag, or even Endless Humiliation.

Crash course via Youtube (tracks from all the biggies):

Anal Cunt side of split with 7mon
Seven Minutes of Nausea 'cancelled' side A (has a brief Psycho Sin clip on this record)
Sore Throat 'abraham's ear' side B
Gerogerigegege 'yellow trash bazook' side A
first 8 Brigada Do Odio songs from split LP with Olho Seco
Meat Shits 'genital infection' side B

FreakAnimalFinland

Like any "genre", noisecore crosses over to some specific close genres. Debate when exactly band is PURE NOISECORE is quite useless. Does couple intro-like starts of grinding riffs in beginning chaos make it "grindcore"? Hardly. If amusing hardrock ballad melodies are attached between moments of chaos, does it stop being noisecore? And where you draw the line who is what, when almost none of the bands had consistent style in their discography. Most certainly later days Anal Cunt isn't exactly "noisecore", but I don't know who listen to those. In the glory days when it was more about compressed high blast energy than retaird humor, most definitely prototype noisecore.

Some of my personal favorites have been, and always remain:

AUNT MARY (fin) 600 song 7"
7MON (aus) especially the early years with 7"s.
ANAL FIST (ger) 7"
B.G.T. (ger) 7"
W.B.I.(ger)  early stuff, especially 7"s
TUMOR (ger) demos and early vinyl before became hc band
ANAL CUNT (usa) stuff before debut LP
ARSE (fin) -demo & live tapes. Been trying to get it re-issued for years.. we'll see when I get masters...
EXTERMINIO BRUTAL (bra) all tapes
NOISE (bra) all vinyl and tapes
INDUSTRIAL HOLOCAUST (bra) especially first split 7", but later more musical is fine too
SORE THROAT (uk) all, but especially Death To Capitalist hardcore 7", Abrahams Ear 7", Disgrace to the Corpse of sid 7"

from pre-noisecore one could list many bands, but Brigado Do Odio remains the absolute favorite. Even their comeback 7" was good, even if not as phenomenal like stuff from 80's.

Who are the good noisecore of TODAY is much more harder task to think. I tend to know all the people personally who somehow impress me with what they are doing. I started with some irrelevant noisecore blasts in '92 and in '93 playing in band called Noise Waste. Almost last 10 years operated in Nihilist Commando, which noisecore done as I thought (& think) is the ultimate form.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Ashley Choke

The Insect Warfare "Noise Grind Power Death" EP on 625 is imo great current noisecore. Rest of discogrephy is really strong wellplayed grindcore

hateful.neglect

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 04, 2010, 12:29:50 PM
Most certainly later days Anal Cunt isn't exactly "noisecore", but I don't know who listen to those.

Don't people buy them just to read the song titles? The recent 110 Song LP (recorded with the original line up) is definitely worth getting if you're interested in hearing them play more of their early style though, and I believe they have another coming out sometime like that.

I think there are several pretty amazing contemporary noisecore bands, and I enjoy keeping up on it.

JoeTheStache

TxQxB (norway)
THC Eradicus (US i think)
Pissdeads (Russia) - this dude does some of the best one man noisecore ever.

LAST

My favorite group from this genre has always been World. Very little recorded output but what has been is solid.

As of recent there is a project from Florida called Nuclear II that plays in the vein of 7MON, early A.C. and the above mentioned World. I highly suggest finding his Population Decimation cassette.

halthan

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 04, 2010, 12:29:50 PM
Like any "genre", noisecore crosses over to some specific close genres. Debate when exactly band is PURE NOISECORE is quite useless. Does couple intro-like starts of grinding riffs in beginning chaos make it "grindcore"? Hardly. If amusing hardrock ballad melodies are attached between moments of chaos, does it stop being noisecore? And where you draw the line who is what, when almost none of the bands had consistent style in their discography. Most certainly later days Anal Cunt isn't exactly "noisecore", but I don't know who listen to those. In the glory days when it was more about compressed high blast energy than retaird humor, most definitely prototype noisecore.

Some of my personal favorites have been, and always remain:

AUNT MARY (fin) 600 song 7"
7MON (aus) especially the early years with 7"s.
ANAL FIST (ger) 7"
B.G.T. (ger) 7"
W.B.I.(ger)  early stuff, especially 7"s
TUMOR (ger) demos and early vinyl before became hc band
ANAL CUNT (usa) stuff before debut LP
ARSE (fin) -demo & live tapes. Been trying to get it re-issued for years.. we'll see when I get masters...
EXTERMINIO BRUTAL (bra) all tapes
NOISE (bra) all vinyl and tapes
INDUSTRIAL HOLOCAUST (bra) especially first split 7", but later more musical is fine too
SORE THROAT (uk) all, but especially Death To Capitalist hardcore 7", Abrahams Ear 7", Disgrace to the Corpse of sid 7"

from pre-noisecore one could list many bands, but Brigado Do Odio remains the absolute favorite. Even their comeback 7" was good, even if not as phenomenal like stuff from 80's.

Who are the good noisecore of TODAY is much more harder task to think. I tend to know all the people personally who somehow impress me with what they are doing. I started with some irrelevant noisecore blasts in '92 and in '93 playing in band called Noise Waste. Almost last 10 years operated in Nihilist Commando, which noisecore done as I thought (& think) is the ultimate form.
Brigada do odio have been all time my fave

manuel-ronf

all of those Mikko's personal favorites are mine too AUNT MARY, 7MON, WBI, ARSE, TUMOR, B.G.T. it's all there

B.G.T. is one of my fave as well, some vids I put into youtube of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYxSaNHH2Mg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZbqyCKYZNg

and I would add Senseless Apocalypse and Oral Climax from Lithuania who did great noisecore with drum machine, couple of demos circa 1993-94, later they changed into hardcore-grind.

Today's noisecore is too joke-related imo, only few bands worth, Nihilist Commando, Funeral Mongoloids...

I had my own noisecore band circa early-middle 90's, Genital Masticator, here's a fine noisecore youtube compilation featuring Brigada Do Odio, Anal Cunt, Sore Throat, Traci Lords Loves Noise, The Gerogerigegege, Meat Shits and Genital Masticator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwdhzJXTC1U

tisbor

Nikudorei !
bordering on pure noise lately
splits with Anal Massaker and D.I.E. are great .

And of course all the "I'm Going Ape" 7"s ...

use of term "noisecore" has always been stupid , i remember when everybody here thought noisecore = Converge !

Ernest Thesiger

Quote from: tisbor on July 05, 2010, 06:33:10 PMuse of term "noisecore" has always been stupid , i remember when everybody here thought noisecore = Converge !
I like Ax/ction Records' term for it: blurrcore.

My first post here, BTW.  Hiya.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: tisbor on July 05, 2010, 06:33:10 PM
use of term "noisecore" has always been stupid , i remember when everybody here thought noisecore = Converge !

Here? I think it was sometime in the 2000's when I first heard "noisecore" being launched as new genre tag for such bands. And also noisecore that meant some sub-genre of techno music. Noisecore had long flourished as established (relatively speaking) type of sound. And it wasn't just one Terrorizer journalists attempt to get credited for coining another term.
It seems like common british media mentality, to be trying to come up with new genre names, and perhaps to be remembered as the one who "found them". New Musick, Britcore, Freefolk,...
If there were hundreds, if not thousands of noisecore bands playing quite similar style, calling themselves "noisecore" and "grindnoise" or such, I guess whatever happens afterwards, don't change it. Does hardcore bands stop being hardcore, since the term is used in just about everything?

And about the bands, someone mentioned ANAL MASSAKER! Early stuff is great. Later stuff not so much. Split with Barcass remains among my favorites, even when grindcore elements are used.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

tisbor

with "here" i meant in Italy ^_^

yeah genre names are all dumb , and lead to funny confusion .