INCAPACITANTS

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 13, 2014, 11:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Huh? No Incapacitants topic yet? At least search didn't come up with such.
Perhaps one could say Incapacitants is talked in so many forums and so many decades, why another topic? Well, I guess question could be why not?

I have not been totally captured by some of the latest releases. While one could say Incapacitants repeats their set over and over again, I guess it's only true if you look at surface level. One can easily find at least 4 different phases of Incapacitants and further variation between some individual releases. Lets say, early solo works of Mikawa until REPO, which sums well 80's. Then change to noise duo format with extremely piercing, high pitched and noisy sound.  Feedback Of N.M.S. setting new standard of disturbing noise assault for next 5 years. Then more bass-loaded & heavier electronic sound with theremins and oscillators etc. known from Ministry of Foolishness, As Loud As Possible, etc.  Late 90's and early 2000's appears like they started to collaborate more and do splits. Often appears like it was live stuff and some "less album" kind of material there. Sheer noise, though!  Then more recent times, band started to proceed further into electronic again. Tight LP or Mon? Ma. Mon!! CD for example seemed like half&half less noisy electronics and typical Incapacitants routines.
That's my impression. There are very different things when comparing sound or especially when some collaborator is involved.

I have not been too blown out by any new release for almost 10 years. There is good stuff, but often not so amazing. But what the hell! This 2012 INCAPACITANTS / TORTURING NURSE split 7" was something I had stashed in long row of 7"s to be listened "later on", as I didn't think it was something I needed to spin immediately (for mentioned reason). However. Now today, already this much later, I find myself spinning Incapacitants side 4th time in row, hoping that more stuff like this should be published!!! Too bad this is ltd to 108 copies only, but judging how long I sold it in my distro (now all gone), I guess it was just about right amount. But what a track! One guy does electronics what sound almost like echoing water splashing. It has some similarity to elegant beauty of older AGENCEMENT works. On top of this, is the ultra harsh and piercing high pitched feedback, tormenting ears with harshest contact mic distortions and at end of track wild screaming vocals emerge. Fucking brilliant track what appears to be composed specially 7" side in mind. Length and development is so on spot. It never goes to full on noise havoc. Totally controlled, perfectly executed. I hope they could sometime soon produce new good "studio album" like this. Not just routine of throwing some session + live track as filler, but proper album with this much of new innovation and power!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Andrew McIntosh

What is there to say that hasn't already been said? Or what is there to say overall? I turn to The Incapacitants when I want Harsh Noise and don't want to be disappointed - when I want no surprises, no "innovation", no "finely crafted" wankery, no pretention, no fucking around, just sheer onrushing power and intensity. When all is said (and said and said) and done, all they do is get behind a couple of tables of gear linked up to amps and go fucking ape. It just works. Analyse it to death if you want, but it's always just going to work.

Mind you, I've got no desire to get everything and compare the nuances. I've got "Box Is Stupid", "The Pariah Tapes", "El Shanbara Therminosis" on cd, the split with Sewer Election on vinyl and a few things on hard drive, and that is more than enough for me (well, I wouldn't turn down the Alchemy box). A blazing hot curry is great every now and then but every night it would loose its flavour.
Shikata ga nai.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

I like INCAPACITANTS very much, but, I guess that their power of art/music/noise comes from live acts, not from releases. No doubt one of the greatest noise live band ever .... Their releases aren't so good, but still classic.

THE RITA HN

The two amazing retrospective sets that Mikko and Lasse respectively put out are still on CONSTANT rotation; such amazing go-to sets to throw on, especially if you don't want to wear out your old cassettes, etc.
And yes, SPOILED the last few years with the volume of newer releases - my favorite being the Cold Spring ltd. LP.

ddmurph

i passed on the torturing nurse split but was obviously foolish to do so. bummer, will have to track down a copy at some stage. i think my favourite incapacitants related release of the past 10 years is mikawa's gyo-kai elegy. looking forward to checking out the new solo cd on alchemy also but current funds are putting orders on hold for now. of the splurge of 2012 releases, zashikiwarashi effect was probably my favourite but i guess that doesn't really count since it's all recordings from the 90's. anyone here have any comments on the quasispecies four lp released this year (mikawa/agencement/nobuo yamada/katsuyoshi kou collab)? it's top of my to-order list along with the aforementioned mikawa solo disc

audiodissection

I was truly impressed by the split w/Torturing Nurse. Their best track since the year 2000 in my opinion.

Zeno Marx

The track from the split with Torturing Nurse reminded me of the opening to Operorue (needs a reissue).
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

jesusfaggotchrist

Someone compared Arseterror to Incapacitants before. Whitehouse was mentioned too. Pretty high praise for my shitty project

THE RITA HN

QuoteOperorue (needs a reissue).

SECONDED.  Their heaviest and most powerful release.

FreakAnimalFinland

I recall this was 1000 copies pressed was it?
I see Kubitsuri label is still around, but I would suspect they wouldn't do it? Operorue is good disc. Only thing I don't like in that, is the abrupt stops in last track. Where sound pauses for very short time and continues. I was always intending to ask artist was this glitch or meant to be like that? Sonically it is perfect example of that "1995 sound", where most people appear to praise As Loud As Possible, while I prefer Ministry Of Foolishness, and lately when was listening re-issue of El Shanbara Therminosis, I'm pretty sure it would be equally potential case of worship, if it wasn't smaller edition tape back then. Now popular opinion is mostly leaning to easily available american CD release that had good covers. Which is very logical. I'm quite sure most people like the most the very first album they heard from project.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

tisbor

Nothing much to add, except praise for already mentioned Mikawa's solo CD and total worship of most of Incapacitants' work.
Even the newer electronic stuff works for me.

P A N I C

Quote from: tisbor on May 14, 2014, 09:09:59 AM
Even the newer electronic stuff works for me.
Ditto. I understand that for most people the only good stuff is up until c. 2000, but lots of newer stuff I've found to be nice as fuck as well, even if my personal favorites (Quietus, Extreme Gospel Nights) are older, too. But honestly, discs like Sec End and more recently Mon, Ma, Mon!!!, or the No Fun registration (although Pain Jerk really takes the cake there) have been utterly fucking enjoyable. Especially Sec End with its ridiculously piercing harsh sounds is fantastic. (As was mentioned Zashikiwarashi Effect was great, but indeed doesn't really count.) Right now spinning Eat Meat Manifesto which I guess is nothing really special but still manages to hit all the right buttons with me. Can't comment on the split with Torturing Nurse as I've not really focused on the vinyl side of things yet. Only snagged up the Cold Spring 12" when it came out but haven't given it a spin yet. Otherwise, vinyl aside, consider myself to have a pretty decent collection (Alchemy Box Is Stupid, Box Is Stupid, Pariah Tapes + a load of a regular releases, some of which double in the boxes) but always looking to have more. The feel Incaps give me is generally one of utmost, undiluted, utter harsh noise pleasure, be it of the crunch kind, the high piercing kind or the blown out electronic kind - it's all good!

Bloated Slutbag

I tried to avoid posting here in order to save my breath, but in response to this:

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on May 13, 2014, 12:52:54 PM
I've got "Box Is Stupid", "The Pariah Tapes", "El Shanbara Therminosis" on cd, the split with Sewer Election on vinyl and a few things on hard drive, and that is more than enough for me (well, I wouldn't turn down the Alchemy box).

I will simply say that, in my view, the holy trinity are:

Feeback of NMS
Quietus
No Progress

All on Alchemy.

(I could go on and on, but will (try to) leave it at that.)
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Dr Alex

I listened "Burning Orange" cd very loudly today and it's fucking great harsh blasting on both tracks. Try to listen this cd as loud as possible and you will be surprised with specter of harsh frequencies.

accidental

My copy of Extreme Gospel Nights has extremely unequal levels. The right one seems about correct but the left is at the bottom. The sound out of the left speaker is also very low. Was this the case on all copies? Would be great to hear from others who own this tape.