Nuclear Nightclub, Oulu
www.nuclear.fi

Jaakko Vanhala
Umpio
Stolen Kidneys
Bonehunter

Jaakko V.

Great evening. Everyone delivered.

UMPIO proved again that he's one of the greatest live performers within noise, and everyone everywhere should book him immediately.

Just a minimal set-up of his self-built devices and metal objects, a few effects used in an open-minded way - and the result was simply amazing. "Simple" (as in not too many channels on at the same time) and rough junk sound blasting through a mic'd amplifier, with lots of variation and utmost control of the gear. It's nice watching have a guy who's really content with being on stage and in full control of his gear. There was a bit of ad-hoc stage show, like suddenly dismantling the "table" on which he had some metal stuff, and which was mic'd throgh the effects (sounded and looked great), crawling around with the metal pieces while playing them, and couple of quite amusing moments when for example when he suddenly pressed mute on all gear, just to clear some thick phlegm from his throat, and after a second continued with the noise. Good job!

MT

Great gigs!

Vanhala delivered a ferocious set of harsh noise supremacy. Still can't say "the usual deal" even though I've seen him perform at least 5 times. I would say this was probably the best so far. Latter part of the set had interesting development to the sound, synth'ish parts and even a bit of vocal work! Umpio did a set of unexpected sounds, intense bursts of harsh noise and overall highly enjoyable noise with excellent craftman ship. It was pleasure to see both guys who are on top of their game in the noise scene in general. Sound system at the venue worked great and at least to me sounded very nice.