gear setup for noise (pictures)

Started by jesusfaggotchrist, April 05, 2014, 09:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesusfaggotchrist

here is the current setup for Arseterror, I use a number of apps, Droneatron, Grain Synth and 8-Buckaroo, wired into a bass guitar effects/distortion unit, and a Peavey combo practice amp with the distortion channel on.

makes for great harsh noise. the Droneatron can be used as a sampler for war speeches, ambience, insect sounds, and military/battle samples as well as synth drones and I can even record synth fx from the Grain Synth and import it into the Droneatron and loop it and process it through pitchshifting, delay, flange, phase and and even weird fx like pitch bend, drone, and randomizer.

silentinstinct

Jordan

Not a very interesting photo, and not only for the quality. Maybe wait to post pics like this until you have more than one multifx unit?

mdtdeath

my live set-up

a 10 kg galvanized chain
an iron plate with a contact mic

pedals:
bass fuzz
grunge distortion
phase shifter
pitch shifter
echo machine
reverb
digital delay

other fx:
an hand made wasp filter

xiwi 4x4 matrix mixer

Cementimental

Quote from: Jordan on April 15, 2014, 09:50:49 AM
Not a very interesting photo, and not only for the quality. Maybe wait to post pics like this until you have more than one multifx unit?

any and all gear setup photos are valid in my book. Maybe use a camera next time tho rather than http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/recorded-with-a-potato

l.b.

Quote from: Cementimental on April 17, 2014, 12:20:55 AM

any and all gear setup photos are valid in my book.

why? not trying to be a prick just curious. do you think they are all equally, comparatively valuable? Or valuable in and of themselves?

Cementimental

Not 'equal' or 'valuable' per se, just valid in the context of posting on the gear forum of a messageboard. IE I think it's acceptable and OK to do so. In general it can be interesting/useful, it's nice (to me) to just see loads of them. the specifics don't worry me too much, it's good to have an overview of what people are doing even if one given photo might not be great in itself, and it doesn't really do anyone any harm. Even if it's a 'bad' photo or not an interesting setup that can, as here, induce constructive criticism which could be helpful.

Back on topic here's a recent setup of mine:

Kollaps

Nice MXR Bluebox. I used to play around with one of those quite a bit. The original 70's blue box's sound amazing.

Would you be able to describe what some of those units are and what you use them for? You have a very interesting setup.

Cementimental

Yeah the Blue Box is great. Mine is a more recent one, I've done the mod where you remove a capacitor for more volume/better sound, dunno how it compares to the 70's original.
I saw a kit for a modified clone version with added options such as a switch to change between one and two octaves down, i might get that soon. http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Blue_Fool_MXR_Blue_Box_clone/p847124_9554536.aspx

thanks :) in this photo: Behringer mixer, I like this one due to the number of useful channels vs some of the more noise-scene-standard models, + it has both pre and post fader sends, a couple of channel inserts etc. the thing in the centre is the Ghostbox, one of my earliest and best circuitbent things, the circuit is from a ghostbusters voicechanger toy, mounted in an old radio casing. Can make all sorts of harsh noise, tones, gabber-ish beats etc on its own. Reverb tank from an old amp on the top right, driven by an FX send and put thru the envelope filter and Metal-X. DOD Metal-X is supposedly identical/similar to the rarer and more expensive Corrosion, tho I haven't compared them, just read on the internet that's the case. Anyway it's a really nice distortion and easy to find cheap on ebay... Bottom left corner; two homemade fuzz pedals based on this circuit - http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html - the red one contains 4 in a row! and the clear box is two of them as per the 'buzz box' at the bottom of that page. Both made with pretty much whatever random components i had to hand, they sound pretty nasty and sometimes pick up christian radio stations really clearly :D

online prowler

@ Cementimental

I see you are using a reverb spring. How is the signal quality through this one? A friend have a similar, he have to crank up the gain or use an overdrive or something similar to get the juice out of it. When that is said, it produces excellent sound.

Cementimental

I was using it more as an instrument in this particular setup but I've found that I can get a clean spring reverb sound running it off the FX send of behringer mixers without anything additional, I think different tanks may need a hotter signal tho?

online prowler

You might have a point re hot signal on various tanks. Using it in a chain sounds like a good idea for efx purposes. So you where playing on the strings? Nice one. Speaking of chain... are you running the Blue box as one - or is it connected to the third channel from the left? I've been considering to purchase one for myself, but I have to acquire a couple of other pedals before I can go dwn that round.    

Cementimental

yeah touching/scraping the strings makes good sounds :)

I think in this setup I had FX send -> blue box -> a channel, so I could feed any other channel thru it and/or feed it back, sounds like Zeus' ZX Spectrum loading :D

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Jordan on April 15, 2014, 09:50:49 AMMaybe wait to post pics like this until you have more than one multifx unit?

Less is often more. I quite admired the sparsity of his set-up. And the picture, for that matter.
Shikata ga nai.

online prowler

Quote from: Cementimental on April 20, 2014, 12:31:44 AM
yeah touching/scraping the strings makes good sounds :)

I think in this setup I had FX send -> blue box -> a channel, so I could feed any other channel thru it and/or feed it back, sounds like Zeus' ZX Spectrum loading :D

Aaa... ok. Hellbent fury in other words?!! On another note, what the øzgjvlnfvæzpw is a Zeus' ZX Spectrum ? Have to search the internet for that one. hehe! - Is it a game console?