General butthurt & pc faggotry etc

Started by Brad, October 31, 2011, 03:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on June 02, 2018, 03:07:40 AM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 01, 2018, 07:17:15 PMIs "identity politics" just shorthand for "I'm sick of getting marketed to, you fucking asshole." If so, well, good luck. I'd say such shit has been going on at least since the Good News was first broadcast.

Identity politics fits in pretty well with the whole consumerist mentality, as far as I can see. New identities, new markets, new opportunities, new commodities. It's the only way of thinking for a lot of younger people, no matter how they define themselves politically.

The interviewer actually tries to corner him on this point and his response is, well, "I'm a capitalist" (which is fair enough, and goes with his assertion, earlier on, that he is a "Classical Liberal", all caps included.) I was equally unimpressed by his equivocation with regard to apparent bogeymen like... Derrida.

I laughed. (no joke)
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Theodore

One more racist is finally uncovered ! https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44472277

QuoteIn them, he makes sweeping and negative generalisations, for example calling the Chinese "industrious, filthy, obtuse people".
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on June 02, 2018, 03:07:40 AMIdentity politics fits in pretty well with the whole consumerist mentality, as far as I can see. New identities, new markets, new opportunities, new commodities. It's the only way of thinking for a lot of younger people, no matter how they define themselves politically. When you're whole upbringing is about defining yourself on social media by what crap you buy and own, even if that crap is opinions (ideas and opinions are the current economy), there's really not a lot of other options.
This stuff is amazing [to me].  If someone is looking for how different things are from now and pre-internent, they needn't look any further.  I attempt to say this with no judgment, either.  As you said, not only do they know no differently, but since everything central to their lives is based on marketing and algorithm manipulations, it's literally difficult for them to even comprehend any ideas outside of these things.  When asked about what a "sell out" is, the concept made zero sense to them.  "Can you explain that again?  We don't understand."  Or asked if it is OK if every youtube video they watch is sponsored by a company or geared towards selling something?  They see absolutely nothing wrong with it.  It isn't even just about capitalism, career/being successful, hustling, etc.  It's much deeper and ingrained than any of that can explain.  When you're being sold to, marketed, and manipulated every second of the day, it's a very different animal.  Fucking phones.  I personally find it difficult to relate because my entire being isn't inside that bubble.  Brain scan studies are necessary for me to begin to wrap my head around it all.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Theodore

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 18, 2018, 11:06:22 PM
Fucking phones.  I personally find it difficult to relate because my entire being isn't inside that bubble.  Brain scan studies are necessary for me to begin to wrap my head around it all.

That's the major small thing i am proud of. I don't have mobile phone. Since 2007. Started as neccessity cause i wanted to go away from pretty much everyone of my circle of friends, then as a choice. Not for health reasons, just is annoying you can be found anytime by anyone. It's a trouble, from any point of view. Calls will interrupt something you do. If you have it closed then they will ask you why. Doing illegal business ? You will be ruined by it. Only if your job demands it or you have kids is really neccessary.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

THE RITA HN

QuoteThat's the major small thing i am proud of. I don't have mobile phone.

I've never owned one, neither has my boss and a few old close friends.
Main excuse is usually the example, "Well, back in the 80s and 90s there were DIY punk/hardcore shows put on and SOMEHOW people know about them, how to get to them, and the crowds were usually huge."

Andrew McIntosh

It's not just phones, though. There's a whole system in place which has no genuine alternative, apart from, arguably, Islamism and even jihadists use mobile phones, Facebook and memes. And it's not just the technology, it's the consumerist mentality driving it all.

The last hold-out of hope I had was that when more home-recording technology became widely available there would be no need for a music industry and it would become weakened. I was extremely wrong. The music industry is bolstered by legions of hopefuls who could do it all themselves, even the business and promotional end, but instead use all that to get the beloved contract. It's an insanity I can't understand either. As much as they shit me I can't help but also pity the current younger generations who have no idea of anything beyond the system they're in to the point that even "anti-capitalists" are just conceiving of "inclusive" and "intersectional" capitalism.

Now the last hold-out of hope I have is that global warming really does kill all Life on Earth. I bet I'll be disappointed with that, too.
Shikata ga nai.

Zeno Marx

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.