General butthurt & pc faggotry etc

Started by Brad, October 31, 2011, 03:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GEWALTMONOPOL

Peterson has spoken out on a few taboo subjects and in doing so he's managed to upset the left. Obviously they don't tolerate any dissent so they've tried to smear and discredit him for at least a year now. It's the usual stuff. Racist, misogynist, transphobe etc. Plus traditional tactics like disrupting lectures, attempts at getting him fired, no platforming and none of it has worked. On the contrary, he just keeps growing.

There's a large section of people in the western hemisphere, mainly men, who are not perceptive to the left dogma anymore and where just waiting for the right man to come by. While Peterson's criticism of the left isn't anything new he somehow manages to communicate it to a larger audience than anyone before him.

The fact that he's making a killing from the sale of his book and his Patreon means the left can't touch him anymore and that is a good thing. I'm a fan of Peterson.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Peterson

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on May 22, 2018, 05:57:17 PM
making a killing

Quote from: Kayandah on May 22, 2018, 04:47:19 PM
search out the voice that tells you you are right and then the world makes sense. Now they are throwing money at the guy because he has become their guru.

Enough said.

PTM Jim

SumofTotal

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on May 22, 2018, 05:57:17 PM
Peterson has spoken out on a few taboo subjects and in doing so he's managed to upset the left. Obviously they don't tolerate any dissent so they've tried to smear and discredit him for at least a year now. It's the usual stuff. Racist, misogynist, transphobe etc. Plus traditional tactics like disrupting lectures, attempts at getting him fired, no platforming and none of it has worked. On the contrary, he just keeps growing.

There's a large section of people in the western hemisphere, mainly men, who are not perceptive to the left dogma anymore and where just waiting for the right man to come by. While Peterson's criticism of the left isn't anything new he somehow manages to communicate it to a larger audience than anyone before him.

The fact that he's making a killing from the sale of his book and his Patreon means the left can't touch him anymore and that is a good thing. I'm a fan of Peterson.

Nobody will give a shit about this guy a couple years give or take. I'll put money on it. Now I can't speak for any other country much less the whole of the Western Hemisphere, but I will say that as American living in a somewhat rural part of the south, I was completely unaware of him prior to reading the NYT article. As you mentioned this is nothing new; this is all same narcissistic far right rhetoric that's appeared to gain momentum in the last couple years. I hesitate to fully believe that this guy is substantially more popular than any of the inordinate celebrities of the alt right, but even so, their agenda doesn't hold a candle to collective interest or sympathies of the majority of the US population, and that's regardless of political association. Many conservative people I know may indeed agree with this man on several points, but I would bet that most of them don't have time or interest in reading his book, watching his YouTube channel,  attending his lectures, etc. This is because this type of garbage philosophy doesn't provide any real value. The majority of conservative men don't live their day to day lives enraged at the fact that they can't get pussy or suffocated by the lefts alleged censorship and bullying campaign. This guy found a particular demographic of sad sexually frustrated white men who require a vindication from a pathological loser equal to them; Part of me believes that if this has gained any significant popularity it's because he's undoubtably more identifiable with his audience; it's easy to see Peterson is nerdy, white, single, weird, unattractive, educated, etc. He's also a psychologist and a good one it seems, so not only can he speak directly to these people's  fears but his background (a social science) requires comprehension of social/behavioral norms & belief systems, shift of power, deviance, mysticism, etc. dating back to the dawn of western civilization. This provides him with an array of allegories he can casually pick and choose from to propagate his insipid ideas. It's no secret that alt right nerds love history lessons of events/civilizations/war that inadvertently heroize a specific group. However this is all regardless of the fact that Trump/far right movement is incredibly unpopular in America in general. We should not forget that basically nobody voted in 2016 US presidential election. Trump had significantly less votes than the prior two conservative presidential candidates who lost to Obama. The Democrats basically have the potential to completely demolish the right for good, however the cabinet are almost entirely made up of Clinton era career politician interventionists types who love to resort to playing the victim. In the next round or possibly thereafter another shithead Democrat (with a better reputation) will be in office and the bulk of the far right will dwindle from the discourse if it hadn't already by then. Just wait until Oprah confirms she's running, the alt right and it's paragons don't stand a fucking chance.

Duncan

I think a massive problem with his popularity is that much of the deeper underlying context of his beliefs (i.e. dense clinical psychology) gets totally passed over by people on the left AND the right (or wherever else) who want him to be something more than he is.  The above poster is absolutely right in saying typical conservatives are unlikely to bother reading his books properly and so likely get most of their ideas about him from edited youtube clips which makes it a lot easier to feel as though he is dog whistling or waving a flag for right wing politics.  The exact same thing is true of the 'left wing' contingent who are convinced he is racist, transphobic, sexist etc from the same reduced, surface engagement with anything he may have written or spoken about in depth.  Peterson says and does plenty of things that I think are stupid and badly argued, but he still comes from a field that would offer a lot to the current state of political and social discourse if people were prepared to interrogate their thinking a bit more than simply picking a side. It seems people are very quick to forget the PUBLIC part of public figure.  When people are increasingly convinced of what they believe before engaging with the topics at hand then it doesn't matter who this year's big topic is or what they have to say. And that's the way of it regardless of where you find yourself within the spent and meaningless spectrum of 'left or right', 'liberal or conservative' we still find ourselves banging our heads against.

All this is, of course, why the above poster is exactly right in saying nobody will give a fuck about him in a few years and why, despite whatever he might be trying to achieve, he has now got himself caught in a game where he can say whatever he wants but people will only hear the parts of it that they want to.  A game he probably should have known better than to have engaged with in the first place given that his whole bag and the context for most of what he says and thinks is an understanding of the psychology that gets us all playing.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Peterson also never backtracks or apologises. He goes on the attack by challenging claims and offering debate. The left don't know how to handle people who don't bend to their denouncements hence the hatred and smear keeps heating up but never amounts to any serious dismantling of his opinions. Only ineffectual hit piece after hit piece. Just look at Cathy Newman and what a laughing stock she's become.

Peterson is awesome!

aububs

jordan peterson is a fucking anus

Theodore

"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Peterson

The part about "a world that cannot accomodate their physical size" had me pretty giddy.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: aububs on May 26, 2018, 10:41:05 PMjordan peterson is a fucking anus

If he is then the left is allowing itself to have rings run round it by an anus. None of its attempts at shutting him down have worked. Not one.

aububs

it's admittedly very hard to shut down an anus when it just keeps relentlessly spewing out shite

GEWALTMONOPOL

Bloated Slutbag

I recently listened to an hour-long interview with Jordan Peterson. One of the things that struck me, up front, in his first 30 words, was his aversion to the idea of having to define a particular audience for one's message. That was interesting to me because it seems he conflates that notion with "the left" when I tend to associate that with plain old fashioned marketing, whether one is a politician trying to hawk a platform of so-called issues or a marketer trying to place a product. It struck me that an academic might have a somewhat insulated view of the way the world works... business works... has worked for the last fifty plus years (if not much much much longer).

Is "identity politics" just shorthand for "I'm sick of getting marketed to, you fucking asshole." If so, well, good luck. I'd say such shit has been going on at least since the Good News was first broadcast.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 01, 2018, 07:17:15 PMIs "identity politics" just shorthand for "I'm sick of getting marketed to, you fucking asshole." If so, well, good luck. I'd say such shit has been going on at least since the Good News was first broadcast.

Identity politics fits in pretty well with the whole consumerist mentality, as far as I can see. New identities, new markets, new opportunities, new commodities. It's the only way of thinking for a lot of younger people, no matter how they define themselves politically. When you're whole upbringing is about defining yourself on social media by what crap you buy and own, even if that crap is opinions (ideas and opinions are the current economy), there's really not a lot of other options. The Industrial scene is just another market, after all.

EDIT - as for Peterson, it appears pissing off "the left" isn't his only talent. 

http://alt-right.com/2018/05/12/jordan-peterson-hand-selected-jewish-tv-producer-lead-dissent/
Shikata ga nai.