General butthurt & pc faggotry etc

Started by Brad, October 31, 2011, 03:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scat-O-Logy

I'm butthurt about the price of new Consumer Electronics album!

cantle

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on September 01, 2014, 04:48:17 AM
Ever wondered how to deal with all your privilege? Let this handy cartoon help.
http://www.robot-hugs.com/privilege/

What the fuck is cisgender?

Andrew McIntosh

It's what you get when people who do "gender studies" for a living explain biology to the rest of us. As Wikipedia helpfully explains -
QuoteCisgender and cissexual (often abbreviated to simply cis) describe related types of gender identity where individuals' experiences of their own gender match the sex they were assigned at birth. Sociologists Kristen Schilt and Laurel Westbrook define cisgender as a label for "individuals who have a match between the gender they were assigned at birth, their bodies, and their personal identity" as a complement to transgender.There are a number of derivatives of the terms in use, including cis male for "male assigned male at birth", cis female for "female assigned female at birth", analogically cis man and cis woman, as well as cissexism and cissexual assumption. In addition, certain scholars have begun to use the term cisnormativity, akin to sexual diversity studies' heteronormativity. A related adjective is gender-normative; Eli R. Green has written that "'cisgendered' is used [instead of the more popular 'gender normative'] to refer to people who do not identify with a gender diverse experience, without enforcing existence of a normative gender expression".
So, basically, the last million plus years of male and female gender has been made redundant by mesdames Schilt and Westbrook.
Shikata ga nai.

cantle

Ta for that- it's a new one on me....

tiny_tove

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

tiny_tove

", without enforcing existence of a normative gender expression"

I am too ignorant for gender(bender) studies
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

burdizzo

Jesus! Let me get this straight (excuse the pun!), a 'cis' is normal, no? So, what's a sissy?
Is it the French government that's funding research into surgery that'd let men give birth, and teaching in the schools that gender is a 'social construct'?

Cementimental

QuoteI will have an undergraduate class, let's say a young white male student, politically-correct, who will say: 'I am only a bourgeois white male, I can't speak.' ...I say to them: 'Why not develop a certain degree of rage against the history that has written such an abject script for you that you are silenced?' Then you begin to investigate what it is that silences you, rather than take this very determinist position - since my skin colour is this, since my sex is this, I cannot speak... From this position, then, I say you will of course not speak in the same way about the Third World material, but if you make it your task not only to learn what is going on there through language, through specific programmes of study, but also at the same time through a historical critique of your position as the investigating person, then you will have earned the right to criticize, to be heard. When you take the position of not doing your homework - 'I will not criticize because of my accident of birth, the historical accident' - that is the much more pernicious position.
- Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak

Andrew McIntosh

If conventional "gender studies" are correct, it's the white, male and hetero voice that's been the loudest for a while. Which I would of course agree with. Our "young white male student, politically-correct" may well feel a degree of guilt about being what he actually is, but he'd be better off admitting what he is and just getting on with his life and doing his best rather than chastising himself with any "lord I am not worthy" academic twaddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ukN2jovdpk

Shikata ga nai.

Jordan

The whole "cis" thing started off as kind of a joke on a trans usenet group, if what I've read is correct, and the fact that 99.7% of people (according to wiki) are now, in some quarters, at least, expected to identify themselves as such, and feel guilty about it, boggles my mind.

I'm 100% okay with people doing whatever they want with their bodies, but I kind of think the whole trans thing is weird when considered a medical issue that requires hormones and surgery to correct. We've been around for a couple of hundred thousand years, by some counts, and people have existed across the gender spectrum without hormones or surgery. Different cultures used to accommodate those people in different ways, not all the best ways, but there are plenty of examples of cultures that integrated what are now called "trans" people in healthy ways, seemingly, at least.

And if we're supposed to be against binary gender roles, doesn't "transitioning" kind of spit in the face of that?

I can't stand the term, but maybe it would be better if more people were "genderqueer", though, again, I'm 100% fine with people doing WHATEVER they want with their bodies. I guess it's the medicalization that makes me feel uneasy. 

Cementimental

Cis seems like a successful meme that's not going anywhere so probably best to just live with it

Andrew McIntosh

Amusingly, there are prominent "second wave" feminists - the very people who invented the argument that gender is a "social construct" - who suddenly become "biological determinists" when it comes to trannies. The current meme for them is TERF - Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists. There's been conflict between them and trans people and their supporters for a couple of years now. Look it up, it's great fun.

We are the memes. You will be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.
Shikata ga nai.

Jordan

Yeah, I've spent way too much time reading about the TERF stuff. On some issues, I side with the feminists, for example, I read about some feminist meeting where the trans participants got up in arms because the cis-women (ha) were talking about menstruation and child birth, deeming those topics "trans exclusionary", so, topics unfit for discussion at a feminist meeting, but most of the TERF crowd are just horrible people.