General butthurt & pc faggotry etc

Started by Brad, October 31, 2011, 03:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eraciator

Well I agree. It is an issue of profits and reputation. Waitrose have identified veganism as a key area for growth.

I think it's unlikely that any of us here will become posh journalists soon though. So in the event that we get caught making a joke at the expense of our employer's target audience we won't be able to whine in the national press about freedom of speech. Or make much money selling our stories.

If we are pressurised into "resigning" we need other ways of defending ourselves.

Duncan

Sure enough, but it wasn't the case that this was some shelf stacker who made a glib comment on their facebook profile.  This was the head of one of their major publication/PR endeavors making those comments in a professional setting while representing his employer in that capacity.  ANYONE would get the boot for something like that for no reason other than not towing company line though most of us wouldn't get to 'resign' -  we'd be fucked off the payroll without a reference to fall back on.  The fact this was a vegan related drama makes it an easy bit of weekly grist for the 'free speech' screeching children who simply wear a different brand of blinkers to the snowflakes they spend their time moaning about but in no way does this come close to some Orwellian nightmare of business strictures.  If there is a union which protects its members from writing shitty emails back to potential clients then sign me up!

Andrew McIntosh

QuoteThere are lots of tourists to Cairns from overseas and what do they think, that we're all a bunch of rednecks?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-02/its-so-vile-wicked-campers-exploit-obvious-legal-loophole/10458054
Shikata ga nai.

Soloman Tump

Quote from: Duncan on November 01, 2018, 07:55:56 PM

I'm not so sure I follow the union comment? My point here is that while it's easy for some to see anything attached to veganism as part of a culture of whining moral crusading (yawwwnnn btw) this is a case of a posh cunt journalist working for a posh cunt supermarket making a posh cunt comment that seriously clashes with what a major and growing source of his employer's income.  I doubt the atmosphere that led him to quit had anything to do with Waitrose saying 'oh fuck, loads of vegans are complaining' and more 'dude, what the fuck...we've just spent millions on this new vegan campaign'.  Lots of press has predictably spun the thing to be either about the lamentable increase of moral censorship in PC Britain or why it's an important lesson on not speaking nastily about a group of people but I've yet to read anything that comes at it from the profit/loss angle that so obviously dictates everything.

Completely agree.  Bad timing on his part!  Pretty sure he will walk into another job elsewhere though, reference or not

eraciator

Well being in a union isn't a get out of jail free card... but I have defended people who have done some pretty wild things. It doesn't always work but can often have more of an impact than people expect.

As comrade Crow says: "If you fight, you won't always win. If you don't fight, you'll always lose".

l.b.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 30, 2018, 09:49:31 AM
Something that was abomination for old left. Contemporary left embraces moralism. That's the biggest change.

i remember reading once that during the Iranian revolution the left-wing students and communists were willing to join up with islamists and religious people because the left wing students were even more morally strict than the islamists!

CosmicWeaponOfThule

THOUSAND YEARS EMPIRE

Duncan

Quote from: CosmicWeaponOfThule on December 01, 2018, 11:49:37 PM
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Anti-Mikko-Aspa-Co-Split/release/12617934

Probably missed the thread about this, still find it funny.

Surely most of the language and imagery on that release based on song titles alone is spectacularly un-pc?

Peterson

Despite the stellar band name Sperm of Freddie Mercury (+1), yeah, dunno about anything PC there, but butthurt? In spades. You have to wonder what someone's daily life and mental health is like when they devote that much time to sniping at folks they've never met (-1). The phrase "envious consternation" comes to mind. So I guess it sort of evens out at zero.

aububs

getting butthurt to make music to get butthurt to