Started by Brad, October 31, 2011, 03:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny_tove

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

calaverasgrande

Frankly I think the Brexit people are idiots.
The UK hasn't had a sustainable economic model since they were a legit empire. Everything since then, right or left, has been various flavors of crumbling. I mean, is there even a British car manufacturer that is actually still British and not owned by one of their former colonies?
Getting out of the EU is going to make things better for some folks in finance. But I think the blue collar guy will be worse off.
Sure they may no be paying VAT, but they need to have money to pay for something that requires VAT.
Should be cheap to fly to the UK for the next year or 5.

Theodore

I don't think Norway suffers outside EU. If they took a right decision we ll see it in 5-7 years, not now, not next year. At least, they have a chance, to change things for good or bad, their own, even with their own shitty politicians but not Schauble and his yes-man puppets. In EU there isn't any chance. Shit it is, shit will remain. I hope this was just the beginning. You know some people prefer to be a little more poor than they are now, to not travel free to other countries - but to feel they rule their country, and if it's to be destroyed, let's be by their own mistakes / decisions.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Duncan

The problems here in the UK are created almost exclusively by its own government and people.  For all the critiques we could give of the EU, this vote was won off the back of major ignorance and fear, capitalised upon by career politicians. This was not, by and large, a decision arrived at through critical thought and weighing of the issues.  The same gang of rich boy politicians have been running things into the ground during EU and will be what we are left with once we exit. Good luck everyone and well done. Let me know when the hyperbole about 'ruling your own country' and 'being the best we can be' stops being comforting.

Theodore

"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

calaverasgrande

Quote from: Duncan on June 25, 2016, 01:23:27 PM
The problems here in the UK are created almost exclusively by its own government and people.  For all the critiques we could give of the EU, this vote was won off the back of major ignorance and fear, capitalised upon by career politicians. This was not, by and large, a decision arrived at through critical thought and weighing of the issues.  The same gang of rich boy politicians have been running things into the ground during EU and will be what we are left with once we exit. Good luck everyone and well done. Let me know when the hyperbole about 'ruling your own country' and 'being the best we can be' stops being comforting.
This sums up my opposition to 99% of things political. Both on the national and local level.
Whether it's Gavin Newsom's "care not cash" plan for dealing with homeless, or Donald Trump's wall, it's all a bunch of rich boys using other peoples lives as poker chips. In some cases I actually kind of agree with getting rid of certain programs or whatever, but the motives of the politicians involved are so nakedly self aggrandizing and callous I come down with a severe case of fuck this shit.

PTM Jim

https://www.yahoo.com/music/justin-timberlake-apologizes-problematic-tweet-145501168.html

The guy was on their side and they still felt the need to attack him for no real reason at all, and basically forced a PR apology out of him.
Appropriation of culture doesn't exist.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: Duncan on June 25, 2016, 01:23:27 PMThis was not, by and large, a decision arrived at through critical thought and weighing of the issues.

No decision decided by vote ever is. We do encounter the usual problem when people explain to us how stupid referendums are, though. That is that many of the folks now telling Europe that this is a horrible example of democracy run amok are:
a) democratically elected themselves, which may in fact prove their point. If Great Britain or other Europeans are too stupid to decide if they want to be part of the EU or not, obviously they are too stupid to elect representatives, and we should revert to monarchy. That statement is 51% sarcastic, if that.
b) assholes in general. The main argument for Brexit in retrospect, to me, is that it has been condemned by every asshole on the planet.

In my opinion, the European Union could be a good thing if it secured its borders and represented Europe's geopolitical interests, rather than those of the US. At this point it does neither, and the stupidity of its leaders is beyond belief. IF you want to create an "open market" and profit immensely off of the working classes + the intelligentia of Europe, giving a few I-phones back in return, then kindly don't ruin the places where we live. Many of these cunts now lecturing the "xenophobes" of Britain for ruining the economy have themselves spent tens of thousands of Euros to buy homes well away from the "diversity." Why the FUCK do they expect working class whites to care about a loss of a couple of hundred quids in their monthly family income (which, apocalyptic and masturbatory revenge-fantasies of the Guardian comment section aside, is likely to be the absolutely most extreme result for most poor Britons even in a worst case scenario) to achieve the same result?

I don't mean this in any overtly radical way (i.e. "everyone who won't pass my special blood test will be killed or shipped back"), but I also don't mean it in any overtly retarded way (i.e. "well, the problem is that we don't do enough to integrate them" or "the real problem is radical Islam and that some of these new citizens don't like gay pride").

Either way, since I think a discussion of the moral value of immigration would send the forum ballistic, I will limit myself to this observation: if Europe had kept its borders secure and limited immigration to a reasonable level, none of this would have happened. While some may have voted brexit because they believed the EU fee would go towards health care or whatever other completely uninteresting retard issue the media is now pretending was very relevant to people's decision, the vast majority voted because they don't want to go outside and be met by the "oppressed Other" scratching his crotch and staring at them in a hostile fashion.

And before anyone goes all "well in fact" on me, I am well aware that the forces behind Brexit most likely will not limit immigration, since the neoliberal right never wants to. Still, the campaign pretended to, and the worse the situation in Europe gets, the more that strategy will pay off.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Zeno Marx

I've been under the impression the Brexit campaign was partially cloaked xenophobia and racism, but more so, it was about anti-intellectualism, anti-reason, and anti-experts.  People not caring about facts, or rather scoffing at them; as many in the USA don't care if Trump tells one lie after another during his speeches at such a clip that fact checkers can't keep up.  Rather than picking out one or two lies in a speech, it's easier to pick out the lone truths because they so rarely happen.  It's interesting how the "1%" has been so successful at pitting the working and lower classes against the middle-upper and white collar classes rather than against them.  The anger and frustration that ultimately comes out in self-destructive behavior.

I encourage people to google the Trump response to Brexit he gave at his new golf course opening in Scotland the next day.  It's golden.  You want to see a person who has no idea what is happening in the world and whose policy is clearly not having policy?  There you go.  The guy can't stay consistent within a sentence.  Crazy.  Literally.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Duncan

Intelligent and thought provoking post, Stoa, however, as one living on the ground of the madness that the Brexit vote has produced I want to just very simply pick up on two things

Quote from: Stoa on June 28, 2016, 12:22:34 AM
The main argument for Brexit in retrospect, to me, is that it has been condemned by every asshole on the planet.

For me at least, being stuck on an island with many of these assholes and their friends running the show is a more immediate issue.  I think this referendum has been a frighteningly concrete example that throwing the baby out with the bathwater and not using your vote to veer - even slightly - away from making a bad situation worse is the kind of theoretical stance best reserved for teenagers or people who don't have to live the reality of what this kind of poison can produce.

Quote from: Stoa on June 28, 2016, 12:22:34 AMa loss of a couple of hundred quids in their monthly family income (which, apocalyptic and masturbatory revenge-fantasies of the Guardian comment section aside, is likely to be the absolutely most extreme result for most poor Britons even in a worst case scenario) to achieve the same result?

Perhaps it's just late and I haven't understood this properly, but are you positing that the loss of a couple hundred quid a month, even for the poorest Britons as a worse case scenario, is not something to be THAT worried about?  Granted, it isn't the collapse of Western Civilization, but for many this would be a massive loss and one which would mark a major blow to an already worryingly unstable economic situation that most live under despite being in full time work. If it seems like something people shouldn't be concerned about or should suck up for the benefit of a long term gamble on an almost entirely unplanned, unprepared for new system, then I think the chasm between theory and practice that has effected the way so many voted and since reacted to this whole referendum has simply been illustrated yet again.

(If I've misread this I'll delete it.)

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: Duncan on June 28, 2016, 12:49:08 AM
Perhaps it's just late and I haven't understood this properly, but are you positing that the loss of a couple hundred quid a month, even for the poorest Britons as a worse case scenario, is not something to be THAT worried about?  Granted, it isn't the collapse of Western Civilization, but for an awful lot of people here that is a big loss and one which would mark a major blow to an already worryingly unstable economic situation. If it seems like something people shouldn't be concerned about or should suck up for the benefit of a long term gamble on an almost entirely unplanned, unprepared for new system, then I think the chasm between theory and practice that has effected the way so many voted and since reacted to this whole referendum has simply been illustrated yet again.

I should perhaps be a bit clearer: first of all, I don't think this will happen. In fact, unless there is some Vaster Conspiracy which really wants to fuck the UK over on account of you guys leaving the EU, there is no reason what so ever to think that the very poorest of the UK would lose a couple of 100 quids a month on account of brexit (at least not in some mechanistic fashion). When I said worst case scenario, I meant it.

However: most/many people, working class people included, who voted for brexit knew that their vote might entail economic hardship - at least I don't think they believed it would mean money in their pocket. And my opinion is that many were motivated by the issue of exaggerated "extra-European" immigration, and saw leaving the EU as the way to solve that issue. That may have been completely wrong, for one thing the Eastern European presence in the EU means there are FAR more politicians present there who are fucking serious about "Western Civilization", or at least "limits on immigration," than there are among the populist farts who may in fact just want to remake the UK into a Social Darwinist free trade zone deluxe, and could theoretically up immigration further (this is all a matter of Conspiracy vs. Populism - I think you should pray for the latter).

My point is just that poor/working class brexit voters prioritized other things than their own immediate economic well being. And that the white/jewish/indian/whatever British middle class voters who spend tens of thousands to escape the ghettos of their own creation shouldn't call these people "stupid" when they have similar priorities, but express these through this referendum rather than through consumption patterns which are closed to them.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Duncan on June 28, 2016, 12:49:08 AM
For me at least, being stuck on an island with many of these assholes and their friends running the show is a more immediate issue.  I think this referendum has been a frighteningly concrete example that throwing the baby out with the bathwater and not using your vote to veer - even slightly - away from making a bad situation worse is the kind of theoretical stance best reserved for teenagers or people who don't have to live the reality of what this kind of poison can produce.
This.  We could use more of this type of voice...everywhere.  The rebel without a cause voter. It indeed sounds like a bunch of angsty teenagers playing a dangerous game.  The fact that it is mostly older, entitled folk who have been a definitive voice of selfishness since WWII, up to Korea, makes it not at all surprising, but very much frightening.  This is their MO.  Boomers strutting their assholishness once again.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

bitewerksMTB

The poor and uneducated people must not have a say in Britain's future. That's not democracy—democracy is the one where a country is run by midwives, teachers, NGO workers, semi-professional artists, and secondhand-book dealers. The elderly had voted Out, but then, the selfish bastards were going to die soon anyway. Once again, democracy had been betrayed because ultimately democracy is a system based on how many years you have left to live.