win xp

Started by pentd, January 31, 2014, 04:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pentd

just wanted to mention that xp will not be supported after april 2014. i know this doesn't concern many, but if theres more garbage rats like me out there (using old/found/recycled hardware til it melts cos i can't afford much), take note.

xp is very stable and light for lots of audio work tasks, and xp machines will be sturdy workhorses for years to come, just dont internet with it anymore. actually, machines where the internets have been totally disabled in system settings are quite fast to boot up and rarely/never crash. i don't see how a setup with asio, reaper 4.xxx, reaktor 5.8, puredata, wavosaur, audition, whathaveyou + tons of xlent freeware/donationware/cheapware available could possibly be of "no use" in the future

kettu

fuck,
I have xp and I work at home with it.

has anybody used an external monitor and keyboard with a tablet? id use that for work since I cant see well enough to work with just a tablet and extr.keyboard. the software I use for work is very humble, all I would really need is internet access.

I dont have the $ for a new regular computer.

Niko

You can still use it, there just won't be anymore security updates to windows XP.
Of course some of the software will or already have stopped supporting XP but all the non-niche software should work fine.
www.obscurex.org Noise, Power Electronics, Industrial & Experimental Label.

tiny_tove

farewell xp-
I still use a virtual machine with professional version of that, and definitely the most stable windows system I ever worked with.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

linxtyx

I wouldn't say that XP is most stable windows version.

Win 7 is more stable then that + it works faster.

But still a pitty, because it was best choice for older machines.

tiny_tove

well it did for me after suffering with previous systems eheh

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

pentd

all i meant to say was:

keep on xp.ing but just dont internet with it after april 2014 (and hope that no virus sneaks in via usb stick or such)

optimal scenario: get all updates (system + softwarez) you possibly can, then "freeze" the moment with clonezilla to an external disk.. then disable networks, then install some doubleboot system. that way you will be able to do audio work with your familiar gear on one side, then reboot to the other for internets

personally i'd love to go linux all the way but what a pain in the ass to get it to run with some soundcards, jack etc etc.. reaper runs almost ok via wine but not entirely bug-free.. some crazy behaviors with "alt + some key" or "ctrl + some other key".. but still very ok for initial work. much more fluid than using ardour, as much as i'd like to support that.

ironically right now for me: win7 + "new 2nd hand" machine comin up cos my sound station is physically falling apart after 7+ years of hard service and some programs have already stopped delivering updates for xp... mac i cant afford and is not my favorite anyway...

also i predict good times for finding powerful used pc's cos the general public will go into an upgrading panic.. lots of households and businesses will dump their machines like crazy during this year.

andy vomit

i've been recording using the same XP machine for years, and it hasn't been connected to the internet in probably 6 or 7 years.  runs great.  probably the best thing you can do for a computer is keep it off the internet..
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

Cementimental

LOSE XP MORE LIKE A I RITE?

pentd

officially dead. disable yr network interfaces + keep using otherwise

cleanup c drive + defragment + consider installing dual booting with ubuntu studio / kxstudio for newer machines. older hardware = liteos / lxle / crunchbang / antix (maso level)

cheapmachines julian recommended apodio on muff's but so far i cant get it to install, stops halfway & hangs. sounds tempting though