FREE JAZZ - recommendations & reviews

Started by HongKongGoolagong, January 25, 2014, 01:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on April 28, 2021, 05:22:59 PMThen Compulsion comes out and it's his most forceful and free statement to date.
Another Andrew Hill album of note, absolutely.  I've been listening to the massive Mosaic set for the last month, which can be a little weird because of the sequencing.  Most of his albums have alternate takes, but Compulsion did not.  I was disappointed.  As I read about this album, it reminded me of the politically and culturally charged We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite.  Compulsion is far more heady, but you know, huge declarations.  A true behemoth of an album.  I maybe say this too often, but after this album, silence is best to follow.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bruitiste

I think my favorite so far this year is:
Roscoe Mitchell/Weasel Walter/Sandy Ewen/Damon Smith: A Railroad Spike Forms the Voice
These three are not intimidated by Roscoe's elder statesman status and are great at pushing him out of his comfort zone.  One long track that never gets boring.

Also really dug Bill Orcutt & Chris Corsano: Made Out of Sound, though that was recorded separately and not live together in a room, and Bill even added a second guitar track of overdubs.  But damn it's sweet.

Other killer performances that would qualify as archival however, but not heard before they were unearthed this year:
Cecil Taylor Quintet: Lifting The Bandstand (Cecil is always a no-brainer, and this really cooks)
Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble: Warszawa 2019 (same with Evan)
Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble & Sainkho Namtchylak: Fixing the Fluctuating Idea

AKTI Records

I`ve been enjoying these lately:

Evan Parker - Monoceros
Milford Graves - Bäbi
Rauhan Orkesteri - S/T

...Monoceros might be one of the best sounding jazz recordings out there, stunning all the way. Parker is truly the Saxophone Colossus!

holy ghost

Quote from: Bruitiste on September 27, 2021, 08:47:38 PM
Roscoe Mitchell/Weasel Walter/Sandy Ewen/Damon Smith: A Railroad Spike Forms the Voice
These three are not intimidated by Roscoe's elder statesman status and are great at pushing him out of his comfort zone.  One long track that never gets boring.

Had not heard of this one - looking to check it out immediately

Bruitiste

Quote from: holy ghost on November 15, 2021, 01:55:32 PM
Quote from: Bruitiste on September 27, 2021, 08:47:38 PM

Had not heard of this one - looking to check it out immediately
Hope you enjoy.  Roscoe's been surprisingly productive this year, but this is the one that stands out to me.  Many of his other releases lately have been too sparse and quiet to my taste.

holy ghost

I saw him in Montreal a few years back - solo set the night before Anthony Braxton played. It was interesting but not something I'd go out of my way to see. I much prefer him in a band context. "Sound", "Old/Quartet" and "Congliptilous" are big favourites for me!

Bruitiste

I missed that one but I've caught him at the FIMAV a couple of times in different contexts — and I was at that Braxton set at Suoni.  I also prefer Roscoe when he's working in groups, the Art Ensemble of Chicago being the obvious benchmark, where I think he's done his best work.

brian o'blivion

the new Evan Parker record Winns Win, which was released last month, is really excellent. find it here: https://byrdout.bandcamp.com/album/winns-win

Bruitiste

Quote from: yullowteef on November 16, 2021, 02:45:48 AM
the new Evan Parker record Winns Win, which was released last month, is really excellent. find it here: https://byrdout.bandcamp.com/album/winns-win
I'll second that rec, it's solid.

AKTI Records

Pharoah Sanders - Karma
More like post-bop, but close enough so I`ll post it here.
Karma is really good. Especially the first track "Creator Has a Masterplan". Sanders has incredible touch with his tenors melodies on Karma. Sometimes soft and playable, sometimes fierce and full of soul. Lonnie L.Smith Jr.`s playing reminds me of Alice Coltrane in the way it dances and communicates. The percussion & bells are also a nod to Coltrane as well.

Peter Brötzmann / Fred Van Hove / Han Bennink - Balls
Relentless work by these three. Primitive and hypnotic. Full of these bomb-like eruptions of tension. Classic!