FREE JAZZ - recommendations & reviews

Started by HongKongGoolagong, January 25, 2014, 01:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterson

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on July 13, 2016, 01:17:33 PM
https://deadneanderthals.bandcamp.com/album/endless-voids

This stuff's great. "Heavy jazz", eh? Absolutely removed from anything like jazz right into dark ambient territory. A few guitar twangs and sax squalls to remind you of the actual instruments making it (some of them), but apart from that, jazz is dead.

In the credits, under "voice and electronics," there's a Thomas Ekelund. Is this Mr. Trepaneringsritualen??

I think I might have less than ten jazz albums in my collection overall. These days I find myself pretty easily bored by the earlier Davis, Coltrane, typical stuff I own. From what I've explored in free jazz, I like it much better than "regular" jazz, but still often find something lacking. So far, I seem to prefer stuff without drums or guitar, for increased "anti-musical" factor, but I'm convinced there's intense jazz drumming and guitar that slays, I just haven't heard the really killer stuff yet.

What I'm looking for is the harsher, squalling, explosive multi-brass type that's more in-your-face. In the direction of Brotzmann and Borbetomagus. Any recommendations?

V.T.R

Quote from: Peterson on July 18, 2016, 10:29:36 PM
What I'm looking for is the harsher, squalling, explosive multi-brass type that's more in-your-face. In the direction of Brotzmann and Borbetomagus. Any recommendations?

Alan Silva's "Luna surface" is worth trying in this case. And Mohel from Finland is really intense blasting! Their "The Second temple" is really great.

holy ghost

QuoteWhat I'm looking for is the harsher, squalling, explosive multi-brass type that's more in-your-face. In the direction of Brotzmann and Borbetomagus. Any recommendations?

Interstellar Space by John Coltrane and Rashied Ali is a total skronk blowout. Some of his harshest shit. Really exciting drums and sax.

As I mentioned above the Burning Tree LP is one of harshest things I've heard.

I absolutely love the Braxton/Wolf Eyes collab. Really out there.

I'd also suggest both "Unit Structures" and "Conquistador!" by the Cecil Taylor Unit. I'm an unabashed Taylor fanatic but these Blue Note albums are the best entryway into his huge catalog. Plus Blue Note has just reissued them which is a GREAT move.

sportfan

I enjoy the Paul Flaherty / Chris Corsano collaborations:  The Hated Music, The Beloved Music

david lloyd jones

at the 'rock' end of free jazz-
Rudolph grey 'remain in light'
various 'decension' releases-post skullflower Stefan jaworzin project

at the jazz end- Coltrane's Japan recordings, anything by Albert Ayer, especially his early esp disk records.

Duncan

Well shit, sometimes the classics are what you need to deliver the goods:

Anthony Braxton & Derek Bailey - Moment Precieux (1987)

Just a phenomenal and all encompassing collaboration between two majorly important musicians.  There has been some interesting stuff written about Braxton in this thread, looking back over it, but here he is pure soul and feeling.  Maybe the most surprising thing about this record is how tuneful and beautiful it so often becomes: loads of space, atmosphere and movement around deceptively simple and easy going little passages that morph into really distinct melodies.  Bailey brings his usual palette to the table but employs the same kind of ear in developing these understated progressions that move the improvisations together.  It seems that Braxton quite naturally takes a lead role more often simply owing to the timbre and volume of his instruments when placed next to Bailey's guitar but you get the feeling that it's Del pushing things into new directions more frequently, changing up the rhythms, pace, mood and so on.  Can't recommend this enough and it always seems to be going cheap.

F82123

Sonny Sharrock- Black Woman Sharrock is my favorite free guitar player. The female yodeling-ish vocals are sublime. Not extremely aggressive but almost perfect.

Mtume Umoja Ensemble- Alkebu-Lan - Land of the Blacks Recorded only a couple miles from where I live in the early 70s or late 60s. This is a dark record (in more ways than one hah!). Starts out straightforward then gets wiiiild. The kids chanting on Baba Hengates is insane.
Fatigued & Relapsing

cr

WhiteWarlock

The Joe Daley Trio At Newport '63
have original Reels of meticulous arcane concrete "noise" experiments from notorious member
done in that era
personally bestowed for me along with cases of his reels & tape machine plus other "gear"
why?
something that's called
in his words
lineage

Recorded from the original master 1/4" Reel to Reel tapes. Using the same Teac Tape machine bestowed upon me by the creator, we present to you an epic in Occult history. Journey deep into the realms of the unknown with this masterpiece of musique concrete by one of the mysterious forefathers of the method, Ammon De Adda in this maelstrom of pataphysiques spanning from original recordings starting 1963 until the mid 1980's.
Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
FreakMaker
SynthWizards/N01ZE

WhiteWarlock

Eye never really comprehend the extreme natural high of playing free jazz drums until semi recently...
ironically
met Louie Bellson through relative he played with
he signed promo 8x10 photo for me at age 9 or something
had not even the slightest clue who he was except someone my grandma had played some gigs with
was heavy into black sabbath & learning bass then
would be decades later until even comprehended who he was... or miles davis... or max roach... or buddy rich
yet knew who bill ward... keith moon... bonham... neil peart & ginger baker were
wasn't really interested in drums
more like never figured would have enough coordination & agility
until forced myself learning
strange as usual
honestly free jazz drums really are so much fun playing
Art Blakey & Ginger Baker Drum Duo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qghrsBfSbgk
obviously there's always the standard classic Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (1970)
yet the soundtrack of The Mutations 1974 also has insane chaotic free Jazz soundtrack segments
plus too many 70s giallo movies for naming them all
btw there's always Nihilist Spasm Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ERTEtZB8Iw
FreakMaker
SynthWizards/N01ZE

pentd

recommended balls out energy blastingz:

yosuke yamashita "chiasma"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB_cOgLa4rA

and yes RIP cecil taylor, heres my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EstPgi4eMe4

theworldisawarfilm

Great thread here! Would like to resurrect with an absolute stone cold killer which I don't believe has been mentioned (?) and which I think will appeal to denizens of this board:

Borbetomagus' Snuff Jazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cB-IKnEDWw

Absolute hell.

holy ghost

Talkin' Borbetomagus is my idea of a good time! And that one is an absolute RAGER. I still haven't seen the documentary, due to my reluctance towards ordering a DVD on amazon when I don't even own a DVD player.... however seeing it is very high up on my list of things I plan on getting around to adding to my list of things to do.

My brother is a huge Eric Dolphy fan and to be honest, Out To Lunch is cool but a record I rarely spin, reading about the new 3xLP on Resonance Records https://resonancerecords.org/artists/eric-dolphy/ I decided to give it another listen and wow, I think I'm ready for this sort of thing in my life - not as wild or free and I think that's what I gravitate towards, and it always seems a little too tame for a wild free jazzer like myself. But maybe having not been plying that much free jazz lately has given me time to appreciate even if it's not a harsh blow out.... anyway, fuck this RSD shit, I'll just buy the CD if prices are insane.....

absurdexposition

I'm hardly a frequent user/abuser of the genre, but love the hook in Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity. I haven't spun it in a minute but Don Cherry's Symphony for Improvisers was a banger last I heard it, too.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

WhiteWarlock

anyone feel like making some intense freejazz w/noise?
can play/record real drums in the style
will be working on that "project" soon anyways
FreakMaker
SynthWizards/N01ZE