Muslimgauze

Started by Ulmer, June 09, 2010, 11:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on October 20, 2015, 03:49:21 AM
If anyone wants to recommend exceptional ambient work by this artist, I'll try to check it out.
Maybe try Iran.  That's about as close to ambient as I remember him getting.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

NO PART OF IT

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

Bloated Slutbag

I agree with a good number of those already posted and appreciate the lists courtesy Zeno Marx and collapsedhole (among others). For me there are a good 50 albums that would be worthy of repeat play.

One I haven't seen mentioned- Unfinished Mosque. Possibly ignored on account of the title and/or brevity. The killer is the track "Tel Aviv Nailbomb", chief elements of which appear in the percussion-heavy "Jeruselum Knife" (from Hamas Arc, also Speaking With Hamas). But in "Tel Aviv" the manic percussion is significantly reduced, employed principally as texturizing agent- and the net feel is rather ominous, even lustmordian. This sadly clocks in at a mere 6min. A shorter track very much resembles one of the more ambient efforts on Satyajit Eye.

Also I believe unmentioned- Re-mixs. (Yes, that's the correct spelling.) Three sprawling studies in abstraction, perhaps a bit aimless for some, and not to be ranked at the top. I would easily take Re-mixs well before, say, the relative boredom of Veiled Sisters. This may be a point of contention; what one calls "focus" I call "bored out of my tree". But my favorites do tend toward meandering sprawl, collecting diverse elements at irregular junctures while maintaining a steady, sustained, atmosphere.

It is again the more abstract, if not at all sprawling, pieces that I prefer from early efforts like Flagelata, Abu-Nidal and Jazura-Ul-Arab. The latter two in particular got a huge amount of play on college radio, in Toronto, in the late 80s. I still associate this sound- to qualify: the more abstract recordings from these records-  with 80s college radio, along with NWW, Illusion of Safety and Zoviet France... and now that I mention it, more than a good share of early-mid Muslimgauze does not sound dissimilar to earlier Rapoon. Tempted now to pull out a big batch of Rapoon to supplement my Muslimgauze reminiscence. Am also reminded, perhaps in production and general effects, of SPK Zamia Lehmanni... all of which is to say that while I do very much appreciate the early Muslimgauze I don't think he'd developed a particularly distinct voice to that stage. It's ironic that only later, when dipping more readily in the more generic "world music" sound that he really found his peculiar niche. This is probably a tough sell so I'll leave it at that.

One direction that I'm the verge of getting (but not quite) is that of the looping brevity, the pure rhythm studies; Blue Mosque being a notable example. I'm getting there slowly via-
Azad, Sycophant of Purdah, Silknoose, and to a lesser extent Hand of Fatimah.
Sufiq might also squeak through.
-But I've been "getting there" for a number of years and no closer so...  I will say that "Cairo Mercedes", from Sycophant of Purdah, has the distinction of being the sole hip-hop beat track, of all the hundreds and thousands of hip hop beat tracks, that I actually kinda dig. Reminds me of an angsty Boris Mikulic. Something to bump in the ride.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

collapsedhole

anyone care to share thoughts on the book (which also came with a compilation CD) "chasing the shadow of bryn jones"? i sometimes feel compelled to buy it off of discogs - listed under the title of "a putrid oasis" - but know to little about it to ever pull the trigger...

beyond that it is a biography, what else is there? interviews, notes on recordings, etc?

Zeno Marx

I haven't looked into that Archive series enough.  The Satyajit Eye DAT reissue should have piqued my interest.  I have to agree about Veiled Sisters.  It's maybe Jones at his most focused, and I both desired such a focus and found that he was boring me half way through the first disc.  Here's the cake, and then I want to spit it out.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

collapsedhole

maybe the overall length of 'veiled sisters' turns people off? i can't believe i didn't put it on my list of favorites earlier since i feel he really hits the mark on that album... but for some reason it seems to fade into the background - both in daily listening and overall, perhaps it's often overshadowed by his more engaging albums? though i bet if a tally was kept, it would show i play it almost more than any other...

d/l`d 'unfinished mosque' today - now that one really is all over the place! proving i like my muslimgauze albums coherent... first and second tracks are fast percussion with droning background, spoken samples... 3rd more on the dub side, 4th purely ambient, 5th back to the fast stuff. this one falls into the 'nothing special' category for me... many superior choices that focus upon said styles but with better execution.

also went through 'box of silk and dogs' - for anyone curious as to the style - this one is like 'ayatollah dollar' or 'baghdad'. simply impossible for me to judge one better than the other - merely a matter of preference at this stage of his game. 

Zeno Marx

Quote from: collapsedhole on October 21, 2015, 01:13:02 AM
d/l`d 'unfinished mosque' today - now that one really is all over the place! proving i like my muslimgauze albums coherent... first and second tracks are fast percussion with droning background, spoken samples... 3rd more on the dub side, 4th purely ambient, 5th back to the fast stuff. this one falls into the 'nothing special' category for me... many superior choices that focus upon said styles but with better execution.
They're definitely inconsistent in making the collection releases consistent in style.  Some are.  Most aren't.  It's more like they're samplers than anything.  I find it rather unfortunate, like they're hurried along and haphazardly compiled rather than given some consideration.  I can imagine how overwhelming it could be.  An archivist could be dedicated to Muslimgauze alone, but if you're a fan, you'd like to think some thought would go into them.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: collapsedhole on October 21, 2015, 01:13:02 AMd/l`d 'unfinished mosque' today - now that one really is all over the place! proving i like my muslimgauze albums coherent... first and second tracks are fast percussion with droning background, spoken samples... 3rd more on the dub side, 4th purely ambient, 5th back to the fast stuff. this one falls into the 'nothing special' category for me... many superior choices that focus upon said styles but with better execution.

Heh, sorry if you wasted your d/l energies there. There was really just that one standout track (which the phrase "fast percussion" does not imo do justice). But I suppose I'm to the point where just a couple standouts are sufficient; I'm happy to just skip the unwanted, or to simply accept the quirks in the best spirit of wtf. (This latter read suits the punchy persona projected in later interviews rather well. Like I'm not going to raise an eyebrow at them fightin words but get all bent out of shape over some ill-placed dub.) In the case of Unfinished Mosque, blip over the middling dubber and you are left with percussive build into concussed ambient-drone sandwich- an especially tasty one at that. A perfect snapshot of a preferred atmosphere.

Quotemaybe the overall length of 'veiled sisters' turns people off?

Good point. Here I am going on about a 6min piece of brilliance...
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Goat93

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 19, 2015, 01:36:10 AM
Racism and nationalism are two very different animals.  Racism is tolerated in the USA, as well as encouraged and sanctioned in certain regions.  Xenophobia is widespread, and I would go as far as to label it an American value.  Considering a national identity, and then with the additive of terrorism + national threat + cultural threat, you have the makings of something far more sensitive and pervasive than racism.  This is obviously all speculation, but comparing a group like Death in June with something of the makeup of Muslimgauze is like comparing a couple of scout ants to a giant termite mound.  A small percentage of the population will take real issue with the likes of DiJ, whereas nearly every single US citizen could find a reason to take offense with the likes of Muslimgauze.  24/7 news cycles love potential shitstorms like Jones.  I think it is reasonable to assume he would have gained spotlight at some point, so he would have the recognition necessary to be a far bigger beast than DiJ.

Neither Muslimgauze or DI6 Propagate Racism or Nationalism in the American View of Live and the People who mock on Musicians doesn't care too much about Ethic Differences in the Music, Ideology or Aesthetic of the Musician. And it is a Matter of Trend Issue. Some Years Ago Marilyn Manson was THE Antichrist in the USA and now?

But Fact is Soleilmoon sells not only in the USA and DI6 have already a nice Provocative Past with Reactions from Insane People. Don't remember something like that hearing about Muslimgauze.

Zeno Marx

Side A of The Unfinished Mosque is a solid pair of tracks.  I liked them both quite a bit.  I just listened to Zealot, so I was a bit worn out for that sound the feel on side B.  Overall, a decent 12".  I'll be listening to it again.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Muslimgauze - For Muntaz (Sycophant of Purdah)  https://youtu.be/dk8Vnw9sEW8

This is an interesting track.  The buried synth layer reminds me of Gary Numan.  If there are others, I'm interested in hearing more like it.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Not that I'm out digging for anyone doing stuff like Muslimgauze, but Siamgda is the first I've heard that struck me with such an obvious Jones' influence. In a way, it's what I would have expected from Muslimgauze had I not known where he went, but at the same time, it's because of where he went that Siamgda sounds like they do.  Without a lot of experience yet, I might even say I like Siamgda's direction more than I do Muslimgauze post-mid-90s or so.  Tribal Gathering is a good place to start.

http://siamgda.bandcamp.com/album/tribal-gathering-remastered

http://ant-zen.bandcamp.com/album/re-born

http://ant-zen.bandcamp.com/album/oppression
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

david lloyd jones

just briefly looking at this thread, seems like lots of people are in ignorance of muzlimgauze.

this project was started by one Bryn Jones and initially had an anti polish communist aesthetic.
the Arabic aesthetic came later.
buy n Jones died, I believe , of cancer.
there were loads of recordings, released by various labels as memory requires.
quality at the time seemed varied, despite those who saw Bryn in a 'holy' light.

would like to say that as sill here after years in the wilderness he deserves all.
as he haw been dead for years, don't know who deserves thelaudits, and cash.

Bleak Existence

Mullah Said is one of my favorite album from Muslimgauze

Marko-V

Quote from: collapsedhole on October 20, 2015, 09:18:38 PM
anyone care to share thoughts on the book (which also came with a compilation CD) "chasing the shadow of bryn jones"? i sometimes feel compelled to buy it off of discogs - listed under the title of "a putrid oasis" - but know to little about it to ever pull the trigger...

beyond that it is a biography, what else is there? interviews, notes on recordings, etc?

The book is essential to anyone interested in Bryn's work and life. There's very few interview snippets from the man himself, it seems like he wasn't very talkative person in a first place, but Ibrahim manages to interview a lot of people who have actually met and worked with Bryn along the years. The author even visits his past home where his dad still lives (or lived at the moment of writing the book) and manages to take a quick look into his room and interview Bryn's family members. All kind of topics are covered here: his techniques of recording, analysis on music, his mental state with various ups & downs, childhood memories, gigs and travels etc. The only disappointments are that I wished there was much more pictures of the cover art, inserts etc. and a detailed analysis on his vast back catalogue. Otherwise a great book. I own the big box of records and a book and accompanying compilation cd. Somehow I feel like the LP's on the box set does not represent the best of his catalogue but maybe that's just my vague first impression... seriously gotta take another listen. Still I don't regret bying the whole package (especially because as a bonus gift I got the Hussein Mahmood... promo LP for free along with the purchase).