Muslimgauze

Started by Ulmer, June 09, 2010, 11:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulmer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslimgauze

I rarely see this guy's work mentioned in the current "noise underground" discussion forums, etc. and I can't help wondering why. Emphasis on looped rhythms and allusions to traditional cultures don't seem to have gotten Z'ev blacklisted, for example.

He made so many releases: anyone got a word to say as to the general quality? Are there any particular stand-out discs?

bogskaggmannen

Ouch...too great a task to go through his whole career... I can name but a few which I consider very good - will be back soon!

catharticprocess

I'm a huge fan, myself. Let's see... Essentials that are easy enough to find right now:

Muslimgauze - Chapter Of Purity CD
Muslimgauze - Jaal Ab Dullah CD
Muslimgauze - Sufiq CD EP
Muslimgauze - Mazar-I-Sharif CD

The early- to mid- 80s stuff is amazing, but out of my league with the collectors prices in the $80-200 range.

-Ben

Zeno Marx

Iran is just now being reissued by Soleilmoon.  Not upper echelon, but close to it.

"Abu Nidal/Coup d'Etat CD, though truncated, remains my favorite CD. Everything about those two 12"s hits on all cylinders. Those early Limited Editions LPs (7) were particularly visceral. Talk about a welcomed, needed reissue box set on CD. It's not necessarily my favorite period, but it is the period that resonates best with various moods. The Iran CD is a relaxing Sunday morning kind of album. I really enjoy Zul'm and United States of Islam (I hope it isn't Intifaxa that I'm thinking of as the 2nd Extreme album I recommend). That digital recording with the field work is thick with particulates and atmosphere. Played loud on a good system can both feel open-windowed and dense to the point of near-suffocation. Beyond that, I only remember Drug Sherpa and Zealot making a lasting impression, but there's no doubt that if I'd heard others, I would've been enthusiastic about a good percentage of them."
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

catharticprocess

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 09, 2010, 08:21:04 PM

"Abu Nidal/Coup d'Etat CD, though truncated, remains my favorite CD.

Yeah, that's a good one. I wish it was a complete reissue on 2 CDs, though.

I don't know how I forgot about "Armsbazzar" CD! That has some amazing design work - amazing presentation of one of my favorite album covers of all time, and the disc is great, too.

WATERPOWER

Sufiq seconded.

I also find Lo-Fi India Abuse appealing as well. It seems like a rarity that I find a Muslimgauze album that I can't get into in some way or another. You're right though, I don't hear much about him. Shame too.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: WATERPOWER on June 10, 2010, 05:54:38 AMYou're right though, I don't hear much about him. Shame too.
If you think about it, as cliche as it sounds (though true to my watch), with noise being this generation's punk rock, and now being about touring (maybe less so very lately), and with what seems like a general indifference towards studio skills, it makes a lot of sense that Muslimgauze would fade into the backdrop.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Strömkarlen

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 10, 2010, 06:16:27 AM
If you think about it, as cliche as it sounds (though true to my watch), with noise being this generation's punk rock, and now being about touring (maybe less so very lately), and with what seems like a general indifference towards studio skills, it makes a lot of sense that Muslimgauze would fade into the backdrop.
Being dead for over ten years doesn't help much when touring is the thing. Did he ever play live in the first place?
Staalplaat have sold a lot over Muslimgauze records over the years so maybe we are just not talking to the right people.

magnus

Quote from: Strömkarlen on June 10, 2010, 10:03:51 AM
Did he ever play live in the first place?
He played on the Stubnitz boat in Stockholm, (what year was it now? 97-98?) but that was the day after the "drugs"-fiasco and he had to play below deck with audience out of sight only watching on monitors, to prevent from dancing or something equally ridiculous.
I also really enjoy much of his stuff, both sounds, estethics, topic etc. but i guess he was a little overproductive...never really been into the early lps though, to my ears it took him some years of practice to get the hang of it all.

Strömkarlen

Quote from: SILVUM on June 10, 2010, 02:00:38 PM

Would be nice if someone would clearly list which releases fall into what category, since it's a chore digging through all the hyperbolic write ups by Staalplaat and Soleilmoon to find out what they are releasing is bottom of the barrel sets of like remixes of Vampire Of Tehran material.

I must say I've more than once thought the thought "Wonder who does the Muslimgauze recordings these days?"

blackoperations

Some of my favourites :

HAND OF FATIMA (my personal favourite)
SILKNOOSE
SUFIQ (definitely agree it is a good introduction - short and has variety of his styles)
ARAB QUARTER (especially second disc)
JEBEL TARIQ
FAROUK ENJINEER

I'm only really into Muslimgauze from about '94 onwards.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Strömkarlen on June 10, 2010, 03:32:28 PMI must say I've more than once thought the thought "Wonder who does the Muslimgauze recordings these days?"
Soleilmoon has always maintained that they have an insane number of unissued hours of his work.  200 hours?  250 hours?  Something crazy like that.  There's really no need for it to ever be released, though.  They have a decade or two worth of reissues.  They could almost have an archivist solely dedicated to his work, sort of like how the Grateful Dead do.  I find that comical, but in a positive way.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Andrew McIntosh

If they where smart, they'd have an online archive. If they wanted, they could charge for downloads. But hard copy releases of everything just seems too Merzbow to me.
Shikata ga nai.

Andrew McIntosh

A good compromise would be good decision making; releasing the quality material with the best packaging and promotion and saving the rest for downloads or, perhaps, cheaper cdr re-releases, for the hardcore punters. I have no issue with fan getting their hands on as much as they want of their favourite artists, but a bit of quality control is absolutely necessary and, in this case, simple respect to the artist's memory.
Shikata ga nai.

Strömkarlen

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 11, 2010, 04:41:38 AM
Quote from: Strömkarlen on June 10, 2010, 03:32:28 PMI must say I've more than once thought the thought "Wonder who does the Muslimgauze recordings these days?"
Soleilmoon has always maintained that they have an insane number of unissued hours of his work.  200 hours?  250 hours?  Something crazy like that.  There's really no need for it to ever be released, though.  They have a decade or two worth of reissues.  They could almost have an archivist solely dedicated to his work, sort of like how the Grateful Dead do.  I find that comical, but in a positive way.

Yeah, I've been told the same by Staalplaat. Do anyone know what happened to that Muslimgauze book that SAF was suppose to release? Did the author make a free download of it in the end?