"CONFESSIONS OF FAITH: 30 YEARS OF PURGATORY" Con-Dom / Slogun / Sickness + more

Started by Peripheral Records, November 07, 2013, 05:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peripheral Records

PERIPHERAL RECORDS + WRASSE PRODUCTIONS + FREAK REVIVAL
PRESENT:

"CONFESSIONS OF FAITH:
30 YEARS OF PURGATORY"

CON-DOM [UK]
SLOGUN [US]
SICKNESS [US]
SUDDEN INFANT [SWI]
GREY WOLVES [UK]
IROHA [UK]
W.I.P [UK]
BRUT [SCO]
TUNNELS OF AH (ex HEAD OF DAVID) [UK]

Celebrating 30 years of CON-DOM...

16TH NOVEMBER 2013

WAGON + HORSES
DIGBETH
BIRMINGHAM B9 4ED

DOORS // 7PM
TICKETS // £12 (ADVANCE) / £15 ON THE DOOR

TICKETS AVAILABLE FROM // WWW.PERIPHERALRECORDS.CO.UK

martialgodmask

What time is this scheduled to finish? 8 acts, 7pm kickoff... Ax was a late finish with half the acts so is this intended to be a late one also?

sickness999

Quote from: martialgodmask on November 08, 2013, 09:14:02 PM
What time is this scheduled to finish? 8 acts, 7pm kickoff... Ax was a late finish with half the acts so is this intended to be a late one also?

Everyone has 30 minutes MAX to play. Hoping it will be one right after the other. Setup should already be done.

ironfistofthesun

For all the bands and visitors , a great record shop has just opened just round the corner from the venue.
It's run by Nathan from Backwards and stocks noise, black metal, hardcore, soundtracks and all manor of electronic styles. He is also keen on doing any trade direct with labels and bands.

http://milqueandmuhle.co.uk

martialgodmask

Quote from: sickness999 on November 13, 2013, 12:26:20 AM

Everyone has 30 minutes MAX to play. Hoping it will be one right after the other. Setup should already be done.

That's cool, just so I have a fair idea of what to expect. Looking forward to it...need to grab a ticket though!
Quote from: ironfistofthesun on November 13, 2013, 08:58:30 PM
For all the bands and visitors , a great record shop has just opened just round the corner from the venue.
It's run by Nathan from Backwards and stocks noise, black metal, hardcore, soundtracks and all manor of electronic styles. He is also keen on doing any trade direct with labels and bands.

http://milqueandmuhle.co.uk

Looks good, not been in the Factory for yonks...probably not since the last Superzonic I went to.

martialgodmask

Quote from: martialgodmask on November 13, 2013, 09:48:34 PM
Quote from: sickness999 on November 13, 2013, 12:26:20 AM

That's cool, just so I have a fair idea of what to expect. Looking forward to it...need to grab a ticket though!

Grabbed a ticket, looking forward to this. Looks like a lot of people going.

martialgodmask

Just read that one, pretty spot on.

Was a good gig, but certainly seemed harsh on Slogun and Sickness as I myself left around 1:10 (Sickness hadn't gone on by this point) and many others seemed to be making a move.

9 acts was perhaps too much... Iroha seemed kinda pointless on the bill, didn't add anything for me other than take 30mins out of the evening that could've been better distributed to the other acts; Towers Of Ah would likely be better on the CD player as there was no real delivery of performance so to speak; Sudden Infant was massively marred by the bleeding sound from the double-booked gig upstairs; W.I.P. was a great start, both The Grey Wolves (ft. Mike Dando) and Con-Dom were excellent and both fed off the audience as you'd probably expect; surprise "hit" of the night for me was Brut - really impressed with both the sound and the performance, definitely a "whole package". Would love to hear something by her but can't seem to find anything... anyone with a pointer, speak up.

Was cold but not too cold, certainly worth a drive down the motorway. Maybe less acts next time though.....

FreakAnimalFinland

Now, those two CD's planned for event came out just handful of days too late....
http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=4133.0

Report sounds brutal for those traveling long distances. But I think this is still something know and to be expected in UK? At least seen it happen several times... And also been in that position myself. If you're going to play in UK - never take offer to be headliner...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Cauldhame

I thought Sickness was the set of the night; after an abundance of loop-orientated acts the hands-on, fully engaged approach was really refreshing and more to the point, took my face off. Incredible control and intuition.
Grey Wolves were great sonically but the vocals lacked intensity a bit, which stood out a lot more once Mike Dando joined them. The Con-Dom set itself was perfectly judged but for the interjections from upstairs; total charisma and commitment underpinned by straight-to-the-point, punishing electronics.
I felt bad for Sudden Infant in that respect as he was obviously really committed to a powerful performance that was horribly undermined by the sound bleeding down from the other gig. Slogun was excellent too; I'm not sure how much the pathos and dismay of the closing minutes of his performance was inspired by the situation itself, but the painful honesty of it was very affecting. I don't really understand why so many of the people left over by that point were more interested in pushing and shoving.
Finally, I feel a bit silly that I missed all but the last two minutes of Brut as I didn't get the context of the performance at all until reading about it afterwards. Also missed W.I.P. entirely, starting the gig with Tunnels of Ah who I thought had interesting shades of early C93 but lost a lot of details and subtleties in the mix; I don't really feel any the wiser about what he's aiming for.    

TheDayManLost

I made the journey down to this (2+ hours in the motor), but was well worth it.

I actually thought it was perfectly suited to it being held outside, obviously my point would be completely null and void had it been a bit colder and/or raining too. Totally agree about the bleed over from the other gig upstairs, but, hey-ho. Didnt ruin things too much.

If im honest, i went for Con-Dom and The Grey Wolves. So very happy i caught both and was suitably blown away! Excellent stuff.

Agree about Brut too! Very good performance, both visually and sonically. Would love to hear and see more (no pun intended).

And, yeah, too many bands on the bill (for the start time). So do feel bad for Slogun and Sickness. I would have loved to have stuck around, but it went on too late for me, so had to dash.

Top night! Well done to all involved in putting on the night.

Cementimental

Quote from: Cauldhame on November 22, 2013, 11:10:22 PMI don't really understand why so many of the people left over by that point were more interested in pushing and shoving.
Booze :D and maybe to keep warm :)

I was probably one of these 'drunks' mentioned about 10 times in the Idwal review, can't stay it stopped me having a proper appreciation of the performances. :-/

I really enjoyed it, agree with most of the problems/criticisms mentioned about but had a great time and enjoyed most of the sets a lot especially Brut and Sickness, and Slogun's final speech definitely resonated with me ha. Great to meet various old and new Birmingham/noise friends.

ironfistofthesun

For all those who missed Phill Taylor's W.I.P project  here are the two studio tracks taken from the gig only cdr that we performed live.
Thanks
lee

https://soundcloud.com/ironfistofthesun/why

https://soundcloud.com/ironfistofthesun/w-i-p-elemental