what's your current influences

Started by jesusfaggotchrist, October 26, 2013, 09:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesusfaggotchrist

and has it inspired you to try new things with your noise?

here's my deal...

been binging on the synth sounds of early Giancarlo Toniutti and Maska Genetik, as well as more rhythm oriented stuff like In Slaughter Natives

I like some of those early Italian death industrial synth sounds and would like to know how to achieve them, I think I got rhythm down, sometimes rearranging drum loops and sound effects with granulizers and a VST called SupaTrigga.

Murder Corporation is also good, synth-driven harsh noise sound scapes, real raw stuff compared to the cleaner Italian sound

not big on Japanese noise/industrial except for a few select groups/projects, like Incapacitants and Hanatarash.

need that pulsating synth sound and is there a good place I can find sound effects for free? I need VSTs, I owe my phone company a hefty sum of cash and would like free ones, thank you.

nowirehangers

Currently a lot of Controlled Bleeding, Shanked and Slithered is what has been really been fueling a lot of the sound me and my partner in noise have been going for. I personally have also been into incorporating more field recordings into a live setting. Living near an elevated subway stop and a junkyard provide plenty of material and ideas.

auerbachnsn

With vst's you really need to use torrents, unfortunately that really isn't a legal option but vst's are so expensive it's insane, some of the best synths are like £200, insane. Free vst's are great but don't have much scope as a lot of them are programmed using synth maker and not raw C. I would recommend anything by rob papen as a synth sound source, especially blue. Only because it's presets are amazing and can be tweaked on every side.

Cementimental

SoundHack VSTs (and the original freeware SoundHack app) are highly recommended, some free, some for sale: - http://www.soundhack.com/

My gear inspiration at the moment mostly consists of productively revisiting things I haven't used for a while due to having broken/lost a few pedals etc of late. :(

tinnitustimulus

Dub techniques of King Tubby, Scratch Perry, The Scientist and Flying Lizards. Eq fiddling, delay overdriving everything else, hands always on my 4 track faders, various left field sounds. Just you know, no musical instruments and long digital instead of a space echo. Also I really don't convey the laid back mood, couldn't if I tried. Also plastikman on filter sweeps, there is several tracks where there is only a drum machine, filter, and delay, and get rid of the drum machine part.

I think if you just have noise influences it can get a bit inbred, though it certainly does not have to music influences either. 

That said, there were a lot of performers where I lived that used 4 tracks extensively as instruments but have now quit and I miss them a lot, and I realized most genres of music I listen to are recorded on a 4 track, so I got a nice Tascam cassette 4 track for 50 bucks. I don't scoff at people with computers but it is easier and more satisfying for me to have access of multiple controls, and the irreplaceable aesthetics of magnetic tape or what someone said "the oil painting of electronic music".

Giacinto Scelsi, this is more of coincidence as I have been playing the casiotone synth while detuning it at the same time, and now appreciate Scelsi pieces he composed with detuning a clavioline, the 50's version of a casiotone. Each note slightly off from the last, also doing this with tape speed and filters. When successful can really create a complex  mood, but difficult not have a lot incoherent moments when putting things together, which is sometimes good.