M.S.B.R.

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 26, 2010, 07:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acsenger

Just finished listening to the Ultimate Ambience 2 CD. The first two (studio) tracks have this kind of spacey vibe to them due to how the electronics sound (I have no idea if it's an effect or a synth or something else). Track 3 is a live recording that is in much the same vein, but with a different sound, of course. Perhaps the CD is a bit too long, but it's still great because of that special sound on the first two tracks.

The M.S.B.R./Kengo Iuchi split/collab CD is also worth checking out. It's far from being consistently good, but I think the unusual pairing makes it an interesting release nonetheless. Iuchi is an obscure, somewhat Keiji Haino-like (to me anyway) "noise-folk performer", as Discogs puts it (none of his other releases are available for sane prices). There's a long solo track from each musician and a couple short live collaborations. While I don't like a lot of Iuchi's parts on his long solo track, during the collabs the two musicians often gel quite nicely. The M.S.B.R. solo track is pretty atmospheric.

I wasn't too keen on the Ultimate Ambience LP, since it's too one-dimensional for my taste. Too bad Collapseland is above my budget, since everyone seems to think it's one of M.S.B.R.'s highlights. Here's hoping it'll be reissued at one point.

accidental

I know Soddy liked Structured Suicide more than Ultimate Ambience, and i've seen it on other lists and mentioned a lot. Do you stop it short when listening? Or is this based of the cdr reissue? The title track takes the great forumla from the debut and send it down quite a trippy road. The first cut on the b-side is also great. But the two last tracks? God damn. Makes it impossible for me to appreciate it even close to the debut, when looked at as release. A real disappointing ending to a surprising and great start.

FreakAnimalFinland

MSBR / BLAZEN Y SHARP "Mass for dead insects" CD
There was good Noisextra episode about this. I should have both, the regular, and this ltd 50 MSBR edition. Could not find regular from this mess of CD piles... but of course special CD is good to go.
Noisextra described so well the content of CD that I felt like need of re-visit it. 20 years ago when I got it, I felt like the "electro acoustic" elements of it was too much, and I just wanted the violent harsh noise. I tried it again later on, but again, was't what I was looking for at that moment.
Like the Noisextra in recent listener question episode said, sometimes its better not to be that critical when you may change your mind. Nowadays, I do prefer the hands-on dirt and physical "electro acoustic" elements of this disc. And also the "cheesy" pitch effects that are nearly unheard these days. All would be things I might or could have been critical back in the day... but now I can simply salute and worship. 2nd rotation of disc today and exactly zero criticism to give!
MSBR, Blazen Y Sharp and also cheers to Noisextra crew for reminding dozens of good discs and records that should get more rotation!

See my previous comments c. 10 years ago in opening message!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

brutalist_tapes

one of my favourite japanoise projects of all time. i remember when i first started listening to noise as a teenager, msbr - destructive locomotion was one of the first noise cd's i had and heard, together with some masonna, merzbow and atrax morgue. i immediately thought that there was something different about msbr compared to merzbow and masonna - a lot less spastic, more overwhelming, monolithic and massive - without being particularly aggressive like for example american harsh noise. some guy on discogs said his music could be compared to natural forces, and i agree. even though i love a lot of japanese noise, there is a special place for the slow burning intensity of msbr in my heart as i think it prepared me for the more austere approach of for example american or swedish harsh noise, which is by now my favourite style of hn. not long after i had gotten into msbr, the road was paved for stuff like macronympha, taint, sewer election, treriksröset... stuff that seemed to monotone for me when younger, at first. so yeah, probably my favourite japanese project after incapacitants - even better than merzbow, for my money, although he would probably be nr. 3. and oh yeah - RIP, legend..

no_baizuo_allowed

Quote from: accidental on September 14, 2020, 12:42:50 PM
I know Soddy liked Structured Suicide more than Ultimate Ambience, and i've seen it on other lists and mentioned a lot. Do you stop it short when listening? Or is this based of the cdr reissue? The title track takes the great forumla from the debut and send it down quite a trippy road. The first cut on the b-side is also great. But the two last tracks? God damn. Makes it impossible for me to appreciate it even close to the debut, when looked at as release. A real disappointing ending to a surprising and great start.

That's why it's so good though :) with the off-kilter "Metacid 1 (with 24 Track Loop)". I would rather it be included, as it is, just so one can hear the full range of his ideas. Sure, it's his own idiosyncratic sound world, and since he is a true original harsh head, an originator: I feel it is a privilege to hear his ideas at play.

For harsh goofballs only!
⚠️不允许白左⚠️ https://novichoklabel.blogspot.com/