John Duncan

Started by Otomo_Hava, September 02, 2013, 10:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NO PART OF IT

I am not that familiar, but I am familiar enough to know this man is a true artist.  That said, "Send" hasn't been mentioned yet, and I think it should be. 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

Andrew McIntosh

Shikata ga nai.

Zeno Marx

Longtime love for [almost] all the LAFMS cats.  I say almost because I know nothing about John Duncan.  I don't think I've even paid any attention to the folklore.  A total blank.  No reason or argument as to why.  Anyone recall when Ace Farren Ford was selling tons of cool LAFMS paraphernalia, original tapes, LPs, and "artist editions" on ebay in the late 90s?  I still kick myself for not buying more than the few things I ended up winning.

I don't know why, but I don't think of Duncan when I think of LAFMS.  The bright side of that is I have an entire artist and world to explore that is part of a bigger set that I already think is fascinating and fantastic.  The latest episode of Noisextra is to blame, and I thank them for it.  Listened to "Purge" and am now ready.  Is there a key point to start, or is that a bad question considering his talents, expansive interests, and long history of experiments?  I look at Discogs and get a bit overwhelmed.  I wouldn't want to pick the wrong things and get turned around again.

https://youtu.be/YWCKw8Pwt1Y
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bringbackthewhip

"River in flames" and/or "Klaar"  is a good place to start

aububs

CMSFoundation

I agree that Duncan doesn't "feel" like an LAFMS artist -- his work is decidedly bleaker and darker than most of the project associated with that label. But he's in there and adds yet another facet to the always-enigmatic LAFMS jewel. (if you want to hear Duncan in the company of fellow LAFMS-ites, check out the CV Massage group, which appears as part of the "Riot" CD reissue on Dark Vinyl.)

I can't quite say "start anywhere," but close -- I feel like Duncan has a pretty solid hit-to-miss ratio, enough so that even when things don't move me at first, I usually end up assuming that I just wasn't in the mood and I'll "get it" at some other date in the future. 

While his conceptual work has a lot of different approaches and styles, sonically a lot of the albums have similar components, mostly shortwave and other "coded" sounding frequencies. His Allquestions label released a bunch of his records in the '00s, often with surprising collaborators like Mika and Ilpo of Pan Sonic or Graham Lewis from Wire. Used copies range from extremely reasonable ($5 to $10 for the disc with Zeitkratzer) to collectors-only prices ($40 to $60 for desired treats like The Keening Towers).

Here are some of my personal favorites:

- The Crackling (with Max Springer): Made partly with sounds from the Stanford Linear Accelerator. It's in that Duncan zone I enjoy most, in which it sounds like you're spying on the inner machinations of huge super-computers or military weaponry. (The three-way split with Aube and Schloss Tegal, titled "The Mind of a Missile," makes this feeling more explicit with its military-dossier-style oversized folio sleeve and Aube's use of "digital signal data" as source sound. It's also sufficiently high-pitched that the packaging explicitly warns you against listening on headphones.)

- Riot: Apparently, the recent reissue on iDEAL is more than a remaster or brightening up, but a true "definitive version" -- the original LP (one of Duncan's most legendary and beloved) was mixed down on a machine that didn't capture all eight audio tracks originally recorded, so only four of the eight tracks appeared on the original copies. I've A->B'd the Dark Vinyl reissue CD from the '90s with the new LP, and it's indeed a more active, ferocious beast, more layers but also still hewing to the original feeling. Instrumentation: "Voice, Shortwave, Steel Door."

- a previous poster recommend Klaar and River in Flames, and they're both terrific and highly recommended. One of them (I think River in Flames) concludes with one of Duncan's most unhinged, aktionistic extended vocal howls on any of his records. He works himself up into a hoarse, shuddering mess by the end. A 2CD version combining both releases exists, but inexplicably, it's usually cheaper to buy the original two releases, in my experience.

- John See Soundtracks was one of the most available Duncan CDs out there (RRR had it in print forever, and may still), and it's still an excellent intoduction to the various things he does, from soundtracks to his XXX movies (lots of women moaning) to incendiary (literally...one involved the burning of a giant fabric curtain separating Duncan from audience) performance pieces.

- Our Telluric Conversation (with C. M. Von Hauswolff): A great package from 23five with a thick booklet, slipcase, very tactile. Of the two collabs with C. M. Von Hauswolff, I prefer this over "Stun Shelter," but I'm not convinced I won't change my mind later.

- Palace of Mind: Most of his solo Allquestions CDs are great, but I remember liking this one the best.

Like I say, I'm not going to dismiss too many of his discs out of hand -- always worth a re-visit, some of them are quite minimal and require patience that I don't always give them -- but some discs that didn't really move me on first or second listen include Stun Shelter (with C. M. Von Hauswolff), Tongue (with Elliott Sharp) and Presence (with Graham Lewis). The last one seems like a match made in heaven, and maybe I was in a bad listening mood that day, but I just didn't connect.

Collaborations that *really* worked for me include There Must Be A Way Across This River (with Z'EV and Michael Esposito), Contact (with Andrew McKenzie), and Home, Unspeakable (with Bernard Gunter).

I remember liking The Scattering, Incoming, Mort Aux Vaches: Seek and Tap Internal without remembering exactly why.

I need more time with The Nazca Transmissions, Organic (recent reissue on Etats-Unis), Nav (2CD collab with Francisco Lopez), and Crucible before forming an opinion.

Errant Bodies Press (the publisher that was tied somehow to Groundfault) did a John Duncan book/CD set that used to be readily available but now appears to be a bit rare. It's worth seeking out, and it not only contains a lot of background into his early actions, but also contains some rare audio, including the hard to find "Creed" EP.

Good luck, and enjoy the journey!

Quote from: Zeno Marx on August 11, 2019, 09:57:52 PM
Longtime love for [almost] all the LAFMS cats.  I say almost because I know nothing about John Duncan.  I don't think I've even paid any attention to the folklore.  A total blank.  No reason or argument as to why.  Anyone recall when Ace Farren Ford was selling tons of cool LAFMS paraphernalia, original tapes, LPs, and "artist editions" on ebay in the late 90s?  I still kick myself for not buying more than the few things I ended up winning.

I don't know why, but I don't think of Duncan when I think of LAFMS.  The bright side of that is I have an entire artist and world to explore that is part of a bigger set that I already think is fascinating and fantastic.  The latest episode of Noisextra is to blame, and I thank them for it.  Listened to "Purge" and am now ready.  Is there a key point to start, or is that a bad question considering his talents, expansive interests, and long history of experiments?  I look at Discogs and get a bit overwhelmed.  I wouldn't want to pick the wrong things and get turned around again.

https://youtu.be/YWCKw8Pwt1Y

bitewerksMTB

I ran across J.D. covering a song by The Gun Club while trying to find a U.S. distro with the "Riot" LP (use to own the RRR version):

https://idealrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/bitter-earth

It's the first 12 minute song, "The House on HIghland Ave". I like the lyrics & Duncan's voice. I know nothing about The Gun Club.

Zeno Marx

Thanks A LOT for taking the time and details, CMSFoundation.  Such a great and helpful post.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

CMSFoundation

Quote from: SILVUM on August 13, 2019, 01:27:55 AM
Exactly the vibe he hits that I'm thinking of too.  Perfect description. 

Also feels like being able to see inside someone else's head (unbeknownst to them) who is alone, a narrators perspective (his work doesn't seem to "show off" it just exposes itself), the detachment even on the really explicit stuff is what makes it work for me.  Fresh crime scene with the TV still on.

I need that Riot LP re now, didn't know the og had essentially a mixing error...

Here's the writeup from the label. It's a little hard to parse, but it seems to suggest that the original machine Duncan mixed the audio on was an outdated format, so not all of the tracks appeared on the original LP.

"This release of RIOT is the one that I have always wanted to hear. This is so much more than a re-release: the original 8-track master has been re-recorded and re-mixed, with other tracks recorded at the time and excluded from the first LP that are now added here, thanks to Daniel Araya at EMS in Stockholm who managed to get a working model of the long-obsolete machine that the master was recorded on, turning the impossible to a done deal. All of them have now been mastered as I originally intended, in this LP sounding exactly as they always should have...If there is any one must-have release that defines my work in sound, this is it."

Wish there was a DVD of all the AQM VHS stuff

Same. I wish I had pulled the trigger on those Duncan VHS tapes RRR distributed back in the day!

I also file that O'Nancy In French CD reissue Impulsy Stetoskopu did along w Duncan as they are Japanese artists that seem to only be documented through work w Duncan and AQM, so to hear the direct allies when he was there is cool.  I love the CD, exactly what I'm crazy about, Minimal archaic heavy slow tone and texture manipulation.  Just feedback and distortion of voids - I think it's microphones in metal barrels.

Totally forgot this project was Duncan! I'll have to track down a copy, thanks for the reminder, Nick.

FreakAnimalFinland

New noisextra episode was about John Duncan. It is without visitors, but it does have good amount of Duncan information that is beyond just talking about that particular recording.

Quote from: CMSFoundation on August 12, 2019, 08:38:57 PM
I feel like Duncan has a pretty solid hit-to-miss ratio, enough so that even when things don't move me at first, I usually end up assuming that I just wasn't in the mood and I'll "get it" at some other date in the future.

I know it is annoying for the artist to see listener who won't evolve together with their progression. Nevertheless, I tend to appreciate pretty much every old Duncan recording, and even after decades, won't be bored to hear yet another story about his early performance pieces re-told again and again. New works? I am very clueless. I have seen him live, and it was good. I have listened several CD's, and like what I hear but do not remember pretty much any details about them. Then I put RIOT or some other shortwave recordings on stereos, and conclude that seemingly the simples and easiest genre of "radio noise" - Duncan did it better than pretty much anyone else and it still rules after many decades.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

impulse manslaughter

Quote from: CMSFoundation on August 12, 2019, 08:38:57 PM
- Riot: Apparently, the recent reissue on iDEAL is more than a remaster or brightening up, but a true "definitive version" -- the original LP (one of Duncan's most legendary and beloved) was mixed down on a machine that didn't capture all eight audio tracks originally recorded, so only four of the eight tracks appeared on the original copies. I've A->B'd the Dark Vinyl reissue CD from the '90s with the new LP, and it's indeed a more active, ferocious beast, more layers but also still hewing to the original feeling. Instrumentation: "Voice, Shortwave, Steel Door."

Thanks, I have the cd-version so might have to buy the IDEAL version as well..

Bloated Slutbag

Another vote for The Crackling. Which I think sounds exactly as advertised and exactly like you'd expect, only better.

Wish there was a DVD of all the AQM VHS stuff, and would love to hear lots of those Japanese CS collabs etc, glad the Mikawa got CD re.

Say heyyyyy?
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

P A N I C

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on August 14, 2019, 09:44:31 AM
Another vote for The Crackling. Which I think sounds exactly as advertised and exactly like you'd expect, only better.

Wish there was a DVD of all the AQM VHS stuff, and would love to hear lots of those Japanese CS collabs etc, glad the Mikawa got CD re.
Say heyyyyy?
Radio Code was reissued on CD by Urashima!

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: P A N I C on August 14, 2019, 11:04:37 AM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on August 14, 2019, 09:44:31 AM

Radio Code was reissued on CD by Urashima!
Say heyyyyy?

Noted, snagged, awaiting imminent earhole infection!
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

acsenger

This is the Mikawa release that recently got reissued: https://www.discogs.com/Toshiji-Mikawa-Radio-Code/release/13942071. It was originally a tape on AQM and has an introduction by Duncan.