Mastering Noise

Started by Jaakko V., July 09, 2013, 07:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Human Larvae

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 10, 2013, 01:31:00 PM
This leads to whole question about recording noise being much more important than mastering. If one wants sounds to be loud, it should be recorded to sound loud, not assume any sort of "boost", like additional digital distortion, will save the final master.

Obviously mastering itself should only be done to give the record a final touch, but whether one should record loud or not I guess depends on what sound your going for. 

Concerning compression, I think it's the pop industry that sets the standards and nowadays the trend is to reach maximum loudness in a mix at the cost of dynamics.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 10, 2013, 09:48:07 AMYep, but there is certainly difference in pushing to maximum limits in various formats or methods.
Macronympha case, as far as I know, has been analogue tape master pushed to maximum. This differs quite a lot from digital "hard clip" mastering.

Yea, that's what I meant when I mentioned how digital things are, compared to Macronympha who are analogue. The difference is often quite stark. However, I have gotten away with adding delay/echo filters in the mastering process that do, in fact, boost volume without getting that bullshit digital clipping. I've also fucked up otherwise good recordings back when I was getting used to using software.

At the risk of changing the subject - I was working on something today and I've got to say I LOVE how it's possible to cut and paste so easily in digital. Yes, yes, the old razor-and-tape craft issues, I know. But I've spent hours on pieces (I don't mean over a period of hours, I mean actual work hours) cutting, pasting and trying to get things right. It's more convenient in digital but it doesn't take away from the sheer pleasure of working on such things. There are very distinct advantages with mastering and mixing in the digital format and while it's cool if others don't want to, I know I've gotten a great deal out of those sorts of simple features.

Thinking about it, mastering doesn't have to be that hard. What needs to be learned, over time and with experience, is more what not to do than what to do.
Shikata ga nai.

Cementimental

Quotehip-hop style of frequencies
:D haha what?

Cementimental

I use Barry's Satan Maximizer plugin for Audacity for 'mastering' sometimes, makes everything super loud without clipping, horrible.

A technique I sometimes use is mixing hard limited/distorted/clipping version of a track with a clean version..

My philosophy at some level is who am I to decide what frequencies are important in the noise that i've recorded? but I do tend to do the usual stuff like high pass sub-audio frequencies (usually I do it at 30 ish in case i ever get to play my recordings thru some serious soundsystem) etc. Pretty much I try and make everything loud.

Funny to hear this 'loudness war' talk on a noise forum. :D Accidental digital clipping is stupid but really you can use even simple free audio software to master stuff nice and loud without any supposed dreaded 'digital' sound very easily if you remotely know what you're doing.

Don't tell jliat I said so but if things aren't fairly hard clipping/distortion/squarewavey then it's probably not 'harsh'.

and re:looking at the waveform - if it's 'noise' but doesn't appear as more or less a solid rectangle on soundcloud I often skip it :)

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Dr Alex on July 09, 2013, 08:32:08 PM
Maybe it looks better but sounds so poor.
I will put both for download later so you can notice the difference.

I was trying to find few missing wav files from my "archives" of cdr's... Didn't find them, but instead I found Sektion B "Power is nothing without control" promo CDR. I was quite sure that when I open the file, I will find the Steinklang mix kind of less compressed one, but no. Original mastering on the promo CDR what was mailed before Sektion B had any releases out, is exactly that loud "everything at maximum" kind. Can't say much which sounds better, though..
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

online prowler

Digital tech / mastering tools for purchase and demo versions. Worth a check.

http://www.waves.com/

Dr Alex

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 22, 2014, 05:42:28 PM
Quote from: Dr Alex on July 09, 2013, 08:32:08 PM
Maybe it looks better but sounds so poor.
I will put both for download later so you can notice the difference.

I was trying to find few missing wav files from my "archives" of cdr's... Didn't find them, but instead I found Sektion B "Power is nothing without control" promo CDR. I was quite sure that when I open the file, I will find the Steinklang mix kind of less compressed one, but no. Original mastering on the promo CDR what was mailed before Sektion B had any releases out, is exactly that loud "everything at maximum" kind. Can't say much which sounds better, though..

I read somewhere that Steinklang fucked Dissecting Table's release with making tracks so quiet and poor. Maybe this is the same situation.
Peter confirmed me that louder one is right one.

pentd

i finally found and updated my old notes on compiling masters, here

http://www.umpio.com/?attachment_id=33

i included the screenshot cos maybe it looks like crapp on the pdf.

disclaimer: this is no ultimate tutorial, just some ideas for workflow in reaper.

SNR

Without a proper panning, EQ, and balance of different source sounds, the "all goes red" method not worth so much. Especially, when someone digital distorts a material - not analog, or not even at the gain section of the mixer - , what already contains a huge amount of high frequencies, what are not even the most sensitivite ones for the ear. White noise like, full mono recordings, even with a 98% RMS rate can't win over a bassy, panned, and well-equalized mastering... especially listening them on speakeres, even if it's more "noisy", doesn't really matter. Personally, when I master tracks what have this method, I always cut very high frequencies, becase they are take out the place from other, way more audible frequencies. Give a boost for bass,  and mid ones. Thougth It's recommended to make loud sounding recordings with EQ by the Fletcher-Munson curve, I need to disagree with this in some cases. For example, if the rooms base frequency is around 120-130 Hz, and that artist's recording is full of feedbacks with EXACTLY this frequencies, it's SOUNDS (in reality not, but the room amplifies it) more loud, than a harsh, mid-high recording. So, it depends a lot of things.
Dynamics are another different thing. Non-stop wall of sound have that thing, that is oppress everything, and have a great "louder than anything" effect.. but a recording with big dynamics is maybe not so hurtful - if you think about the contant sound pressure, what was in the previous situation - but it' have a punch, and effect, that the ear can't acclimate to the sound. So, both methods have pros, and cons. I think it's hard to make a real 'standard' when we talk about mastering - in noise, or any other genre. Personally - thought there are a lot of exceptions, but - I more prefer recordings, what have less dynamics, and more non-stop noise loudness... but this is just my taste.

Dr Alex

I just installed repaer v4.57 and I can open/import .wav files. Can someone help me to solve this problem?
(Yes, it's "torrent" cracked copy because I can't afford to buy original)

bub

I have use pedals, boxes, and stuff.
I did use a Mac Power book until the
mother board eat it self.
On the mac I was working with Reason alot.
Every thing from neural gutting to synaptic bliss.
I also recorded  analog gear, utopian synth sleep drone
The incredible W.M.D. Geiger counter. I also us my trusty
Boss BR 12 recorder. As you can see I am a purest, in that I use anything that makes sound that I choose to use.

Cementimental

Really an impurist then, that's the way forward. :)

QuoteI just installed repaer v4.57 and I can open/import .wav files. Can someone help me to solve this problem?
Uuuuuh the problem is that for some reason you've downloaded some dubious torrent of software that you can download from the official site and use for free in full unlimited 'trial' mode forever :) I mean it's not that much of a pain to click 'still evaluating' from time to time surely?

(to be fair there could be some other reason it's not working, sorry can't help you more specifically)

Dr Alex

Quote from: Cementimental on April 23, 2014, 01:27:21 PM
Really an impurist then, that's the way forward. :)

QuoteI just installed repaer v4.57 and I can open/import .wav files. Can someone help me to solve this problem?
Uuuuuh the problem is that for some reason you've downloaded some dubious torrent of software that you can download from the official site and use for free in full unlimited 'trial' mode forever :) I mean it's not that much of a pain to click 'still evaluating' from time to time surely?

(to be fair there could be some other reason it's not working, sorry can't help you more specifically)

Thank you!

Leatherface

Hum... what are the best and the cheapest programs i can use for made myself my own mastering?

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Leatherface on June 29, 2014, 01:14:09 PM
Hum... what are the best and the cheapest programs i can use for made myself my own mastering?

See earlier messages of this topic... Reaper. Free. Easy.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net