- EFX PEDALS & PORTABLE SOUND PROCESSING STATIONS -

Started by online prowler, July 02, 2013, 07:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cementimental

You can run anything through anything, just give it a go!
The Boss ODB would be good for this since it has a mix knob.

I currently run my whole mix thru the electroharmonix 2ube for a little extra loudness/drive/tube without  colouring the sound

Another possibility is to fx send everything thru the overdrive, that way you could mix the overdriven and clean sound for more control.

For that matter I often just fx send my whole mix into a spare channel in the red for extra overall distortion/loudness.

Try things.

Marko-V

Quote from: Leatherface on October 10, 2013, 01:14:12 PM
Quote from: online prowler on October 10, 2013, 12:10:38 PM
Quote from: Leatherface on October 10, 2013, 11:34:19 AM
Someone try the "Electo-Harmonix 8 Step program" pedal?

What kind of solution is that? Have any links as to hear the qualities?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSk25-95H0

I have it and I cannot really say is it good or bad since it really depends on the pedal it is attached to. It is not a sort of pedal which you can plug an instrument in and hear some sort of effected result. You can use it to control some parameters of your efx pedal if it has a foot switch or expression pedal input. I am using it with Boss ME-90 and EH Ravish Sitar with variable success. It has an CV output so you can also attach it to analog synth.

JoeTheStache

Quote from: Marko-V on December 08, 2013, 08:47:31 PM

I have it and I cannot really say is it good or bad since it really depends on the pedal it is attached to. It is not a sort of pedal which you can plug an instrument in and hear some sort of effected result. You can use it to control some parameters of your efx pedal if it has a foot switch or expression pedal input. I am using it with Boss ME-90 and EH Ravish Sitar with variable success. It has an CV output so you can also attach it to analog synth.

how is that Ravish Sitar working out for noise?  I am very interested in trying one out.

Marko-V

Well, in my opinion ANYTHING is good (or bad) for noise making... it is only a matter of the way you use it and the structure of efx chain. I just recently bought RS second hand from some guitar oriented player (blues... I think?) who probably didn't find it very fascinating. Ravish Sitar is basically made for guitar but I found it being more interesting when combined with synth and Weird Sound Generator. Some You Tube -videos suggest also that it has a potential with bass guitar. It is probably more useful in drone stuff than hard in-your-face PE noise. But as I said, I just recently got it, so haven't had too much time testing it.

tinnitustimulus

I know for a fact Karlheinz used a sitar pedal for the song "Packing" can't remember what kind it was. He seemed to be very into the pedal.

dietsociety

Quote from: online prowler on October 10, 2013, 04:16:04 AM
Quote from: tinnitustimulus on October 10, 2013, 01:16:41 AM
Quote from: Cementimental on October 10, 2013, 12:48:12 AM
I believe you'd have to have a pretty bad tremelo for it to colour the sound much at all since it's not really supposed to do that; any half decent/modern one should be fairly transparent. For more unmusical sounds one with a greater variety of types of LFO might be good, eg one that can do a squarewave (going from silent to full volume with sudden steps instead of a smooth sine or triangle.)
For some reason my EH Worm on tremolo mode is higher gain and hissy. Not very great pedal as I don't like how the range knob is also the volume, but maybe the pulsar.

As for OP, when you mean a cold tremolo, do you mean like a stutter effect aka fast hard square wave lfo?

Thanx guys!

As I said I have never used A Tremolo properly. Though it came to mind I tested one in a music store. That had a warm feel to it. A bit Hawaiish. Think it was A MXR, I might be wrong about that. Couldn't find the model on their site.  

No, I am not thinking about a stutter effect. It is the sound colour left by the pedal as the signals travels through its circuitry. I know I am being very particular here, but that's how it is. Maybe instead of colour, tonality is a better word. Maybe we are talking about different things, I don't know, but to my ears different pedals - lets say delay efx - for an example have each a unique tonality. This is also my experience with all the other pedals I have - be it distortion, flanger, overdrive, reverb, etc. Some are cold, others are warm, some are dry or wet for instance. Of course, there are brands on the market that have a more transparent sound as [C] mentioned. In my experience Boss (the new pedals) is a little bit like this, but then again if you are looking fro something that doesn't affect your produced sound this is perfect. In ending I have to add that I own mostly old second hand pedals. Like the sound of those better the the new once I have come across, but there are exceptions.

Interesting LFO / squarewave thought. Maybe I misunderstood. Is there a Trem pedal that have this function? Could be an interesting additon w that function. Use this a lot on my synth.  

It's not cheap, but the Boss Slicer pedal can be harsh tremelo (very choppy) - but I've never had a chance to play with the pedal in a setting where I could put it through it's paces. It's kinda rare, but usually tops out at $100 because it's not particularly useful in most rock n roll settings.

Marko-V

Quote from: JoeTheStache on December 09, 2013, 08:10:21 AM

how is that Ravish Sitar working out for noise?  I am very interested in trying one out.

I just noticed that I can get some nice results when using Ravish Sitar with percussions. Not necessarily meant for that use but I found by accident that it adds some character to metallic percussion with certain settings. "Experimentation is the name of the game".

bub

For working in Doctor Dark Disturbing Labratory ( i.e. not live)
the choices of distortion and time based fx's are this pair
The Jomox T-Resonator and the W.M.D. Geiger Counter.
Both are expensive and complex, I am very pleased with the results and find the investment worth it. I am also very happy with the Boss DD-20 Giga-Delay.

Cementimental

modified my already japanoise-classic FX25.

Added a fixed filter frequency knob, made the envelope faster, increased the filter range, increased the resonance horribly. = amazing harsh noise tool worthy of a precious Takashi Murakami sticker.

In the interests of actually FINISH A THING for once I resisted the temptation to turn this thing into a poorman's Sherman Filterbank but it seems like there are a lot more mods one could do, or even just the ones I did could be usefully knob-controlled if the thing was rehoused.

Marko-V

Quote from: JoeTheStache on December 09, 2013, 08:10:21 AM

Here is a link to a test file I made by using Alesis drum machine and Ravish Sitar (scroll down to the bottom).
http://ikuinen-kaamos.blogspot.fi/2014/11/gear-holic-part-14.html
It is quite nice'droney when not trying to get some basic sitar sounds out of it. But once you get those fake sitar sounds (as you can hear from the middle of the test file I made) it can get a little annoying.

online prowler

SHERMAN FILTERBANK Compact cased FB2 ANNOUNCED.

tiny_tove

Quote from: online prowler on April 15, 2017, 09:14:48 PM
SHERMAN FILTERBANK Compact cased FB2 ANNOUNCED.

!!!

loved the first version, but never owned one
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

online prowler

I reckon the twp previous versions will be avail on the second market more frequent as this is launching. Of the two, I would recommend the second unit. Powerful beast.