- EFX PEDALS & PORTABLE SOUND PROCESSING STATIONS -

Started by online prowler, July 02, 2013, 07:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cementimental

Quote from: online prowler on July 14, 2013, 02:38:03 PM
I need phaser and flanger. I'm usually not looking further than DOD. any other recommendations? I was using Boss phaser for quite some time. Not bad.
Behringer Super Phase Shifter is good and cheap with various different modes including ramps and sample + hold/random as well as more normal sounds.

online prowler

Quote from: Cementimental on October 09, 2013, 10:20:24 AM
How do you mean "cold sounding"? A tremolo just makes the volume go up and down.

I am thinking about the signature sound - or the quality of the sound processed by the pedal, not the function. A pedal that have a "cold" sound quality as opposed to for instance the warmth of analogue gear. Hope my response clarifies your question a bit. So far in my experience EH pedals have some "cold" qualities, though not all. I never tried this sort of pedal myself. My only experience is from seeing it used live and on records.

Cementimental

I believe you'd have to have a pretty bad tremelo for it to colour the sound much at all since it's not really supposed to do that; any half decent/modern one should be fairly transparent. For more unmusical sounds one with a greater variety of types of LFO might be good, eg one that can do a squarewave (going from silent to full volume with sudden steps instead of a smooth sine or triangle.)

tinnitustimulus

Quote from: Cementimental on October 10, 2013, 12:48:12 AM
I believe you'd have to have a pretty bad tremelo for it to colour the sound much at all since it's not really supposed to do that; any half decent/modern one should be fairly transparent. For more unmusical sounds one with a greater variety of types of LFO might be good, eg one that can do a squarewave (going from silent to full volume with sudden steps instead of a smooth sine or triangle.)
For some reason my EH Worm on tremolo mode is higher gain and hissy. Not very great pedal as I don't like how the range knob is also the volume, but maybe the pulsar.

As for OP, when you mean a cold tremolo, do you mean like a stutter effect aka fast hard square wave lfo?

online prowler

Quote from: tinnitustimulus on October 10, 2013, 01:16:41 AM
Quote from: Cementimental on October 10, 2013, 12:48:12 AM
For some reason my EH Worm on tremolo mode is higher gain and hissy. Not very great pedal as I don't like how the range knob is also the volume, but maybe the pulsar.

As for OP, when you mean a cold tremolo, do you mean like a stutter effect aka fast hard square wave lfo?

Thanx guys!

As I said I have never used A Tremolo properly. Though it came to mind I tested one in a music store. That had a warm feel to it. A bit Hawaiish. Think it was A MXR, I might be wrong about that. Couldn't find the model on their site.  

No, I am not thinking about a stutter effect. It is the sound colour left by the pedal as the signals travels through its circuitry. I know I am being very particular here, but that's how it is. Maybe instead of colour, tonality is a better word. Maybe we are talking about different things, I don't know, but to my ears different pedals - lets say delay efx - for an example have each a unique tonality. This is also my experience with all the other pedals I have - be it distortion, flanger, overdrive, reverb, etc. Some are cold, others are warm, some are dry or wet for instance. Of course, there are brands on the market that have a more transparent sound as [C] mentioned. In my experience Boss (the new pedals) is a little bit like this, but then again if you are looking fro something that doesn't affect your produced sound this is perfect. In ending I have to add that I own mostly old second hand pedals. Like the sound of those better the the new once I have come across, but there are exceptions.

Interesting LFO / squarewave thought. Maybe I misunderstood. Is there a Trem pedal that have this function? Could be an interesting additon w that function. Use this a lot on my synth.  

Leatherface

Someone try the "Electo-Harmonix 8 Step program" pedal?

online prowler

Quote from: Leatherface on October 10, 2013, 11:34:19 AM
Someone try the "Electo-Harmonix 8 Step program" pedal?

What kind of solution is that? Have any links as to hear the qualities?

online prowler

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 04, 2013, 11:38:23 AM
thanks for tip! Ordered. I haven't bought any new gear for years, but using some rack mounted tube pre-amp gives good final mastering for stuff, but in live situation would be impossible to carry such thing... Have tried to live with "simulating pre-amp" with mono line only, but now all the problems appear to be solved! Lets hope it will be worth the Finnish import price...

Did you receive it yet? If so, any thoughts on the attributes?

Leatherface

Cementimental

The danelectro tuna melt seems to be one of the cheaper tremelos with a squarewave lfo "hard" option as well as the usual triangle wave.

online prowler

Quote from: Cementimental on October 12, 2013, 01:34:28 PM
The danelectro tuna melt seems to be one of the cheaper tremelos with a squarewave lfo "hard" option as well as the usual triangle wave.

Thanx C! I'll check it out. A friend recommended me the same brand. Said it was high quality if one looked past the horrible pedal design.

Leatherface

Quote from: online prowler on October 13, 2013, 09:33:15 PM
Quote from: Cementimental on October 12, 2013, 01:34:28 PM

Thanx C! I'll check it out. A friend recommended me the same brand. Said it was high quality if one looked past the horrible pedal design.

Or try the Electro-Harmonix Pulsar. Great tremolo for a ridiculous price...

obfuscatedrecords

Quote from: Leatherface on October 13, 2013, 11:38:17 PM
Or try the Electro-Harmonix Pulsar. Great tremolo for a ridiculous price...

It is relatively cheap but from my experience I found it had a hard time dealing with hot signals.. since then I've been using the Alesis MODfx Ampliton which is stereo and has far more features but it's discontinued .

nowirehangers

I was wondering if I could somehow run my mixer through an overdrive pedal before hooking it up to the actual PA. me and my partner in noise where discussing this. Anyone have any experience with it?