Headphones - Recommendations?

Started by algiz, June 22, 2013, 04:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RG

Quote from: Levas on June 26, 2013, 08:48:51 PM
So status symbol has to do more with looks or with sounds? thanks for consideration, I'm not that worried about how I look while wearing headphones.

...I don't think you understood what I meant. And besides, I was kidding.

acsenger

I have a Grado SR125i. It cost 165 AUD (plus 43 AUD for a 4.5 m extension cord). I really like them although I don't have anything to compare them to as they're my first serious headphones. I feel the whole frequency range is equally represented and no details are lost. After using them for a while, my ears hurt a bit but with a couple minutes of rest, I'm good to wear them again for another album. On the other hand, my girlfriend can wear them for any length of time, so this seems person-specific. I should also add I only use them at home. They're not very nice looking I guess (although I have no problem with their design) if that's a concern for street use.
I know Grados are considered very good quality for a low price.

As for headphone amps, I don't have any experience with them. From what I've read, even headphones that are not power hungry often benefit from one because the headphone output on a lot of amps is not the same quality as the speaker outputs (many amp manufacturers consider them less important). I was told by someone I trust on these matters that the Grado+NAD amp (what I've got) combination is a great match though, and I've also read NAD amps (and, if memory serves me right, Cambridge Audio amps as well) actually have good quality headphone outputs.

Levas

Quote from: RG on June 27, 2013, 01:50:00 AM
...I don't think you understood what I meant. And besides, I was kidding.

It might be.

I've been mainly Sennheiser user. HD-555 are the ones that I currently have and they are ok and most important they are open. But a pair of closed ones for comparison while doing some mixing or so. I like mostly what Zeno said about sound being flat.

urall

As my previous headphones totally disintegrated (Bose AE2i) i'm in the market for a new pair.
I always like those pair, but i don't have a real base for comparison because they were my first pair of more expensive headphones. Previously i had sennheisers but more a low end series.

A friend of mine who is an audio engineer recommended me some Audio Technica headphones (can't recall the exact series), but i'm reviving this topic to get some more opinions. There might be some new ones on the market since 2013 which might be worth picking up.

FYI - i listen to everything from HNW, death metal to minimal modern composers, improv, etc...