Purchase List

Started by Otomo_Hava, May 24, 2013, 09:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acsenger

That Martin Davorin Jagodic CD on a previous post's photo is amazing! I discovered it a few weeks ago and it's such a great and strange album. Apparently the only one in the Jagodic's decades-long career so far.

Got a few packages in the last couple days:

Andrew Chalk - Forty-Nine Views In Rhapsodies' Wave Serene CD
Shift - Bulk CD
Merzbow - Recycled tape
Igor Wakhevitch - all 6 recently re-released LPs
Morton Subotnick - Silver Apples of the Moon/The Wild Bull CD
Malcolm Goldstein - Early Electronic/Tape Collage Music LP
Gary Sloan and Clone - Harmonitalk LP
V/A - Institute For Psychoacoustics And Electronic Music (IPEM) - 50 Years Of Electronic And Electroacoustic Music At The Ghent University 2CD
Altar of Flies - Cenotaph 7"
V/A - Le Couperet: Music For The Crimes Of Dr. Petiot LP
Pierpaolo Zoppo - Necrosi Statica 1-sided LP
Arsene Souffriau - Experiences Bimes 3CD
Luc Ferrari - Presque Rien 2LP
Pietro Grossi - Combinatoria 2CD

Henrik III

Quote from: acsenger on May 29, 2013, 12:28:43 PM
That Martin Davorin Jagodic CD on a previous post's photo is amazing! I discovered it a few weeks ago and it's such a great and strange album. Apparently the only one in the Jagodic's decades-long career so far.

Hey, all those are original LP's :) Got the CD a few years ago and really wondering how such a gem is so rarely mentioned. Same goes also to Miereanu's "Luna Cinese" from Nova Musicha series. Hope to find that LP next time in Italy!

Quote from: acsenger on May 29, 2013, 12:28:43 PM
V/A - Institute For Psychoacoustics And Electronic Music (IPEM) - 50 Years Of Electronic And Electroacoustic Music At The Ghent University 2CD

This is among the "others" I mentioned. Very nicely done and well-curated compilation.

vomitgore

Quote from: SILVUM on May 29, 2013, 02:44:25 PM
Quote from: vomitgore on May 29, 2013, 11:03:14 AM
Quote from: SILVUM on May 29, 2013, 04:27:56 AM

And, one of those 6" Victor record blanks with nothing on it for a nice silent listen.

Ha, it doesn't get more hipster than that! I don't know whether to praise or despise the manufacturer for putting such crap out. How much does one pay for a nice silent listen?

Look it up, they were produced as blanks that people could cut audio into, mass produced from the 30's to 70's I imagine.  It was $1 at an antique store.  And the blank material on these is really poor, so at a loud volume all the imperfections result in crackles of pointillist noise.  And at low volumes, I always found the crackle of silence on records relaxing.  I'm sorry you're ignorant to these things and choose to display the ignorance for all to observe.

Edit: Here, I looked it up for those unsure of how to use search engines.

RCA Victor introduced home phonograph disk recorders in October 1930. These phonographs featured a large counterbalanced tone arm with horseshoe magnet pick-up. These types of pick-ups could also be "driven" to actually move the needle and RCA took advantage of that by designing a system of home recording that used "pre-grooved" records. The material that the records were made from (advertised as "Victrolac") was soft and it was possible to somewhat modulate the grooves using the pick-up with proper recording needle and a fairly heavy weight placed on the pick-up. The discs were only six inches in diameter so recording time at 78rpm was brief. Larger size Victor blanks were introduced late in 1931, when RCA-Victor introduced the Radiola-Electrola RE-57. These machines were capable of recording at 331⁄3 rpm as well as 78 rpm. One could select to record something from the radio or one could record using the hand-held microphone. The RAE-59 sold for a hefty $350.00 at a time when many manufacturers had trouble finding buyers for $50.00 radios.

Interesting, thanks for the info! I guess 1$ is an ok price if one sees it as an old obscurity. To each his own, I'd find it a bit cheeky to release something like that nowadays, but if it suits you: all the better. Being ignorant towards the pleasures of blank records is something I can live with though, same goes for its public display. Thanks for the empathy though! ;) I could imagine these discs may be more suited for collectors of obscure art, or am I on the wrong track here?

vomitgore

Quote from: SILVUM on May 29, 2013, 03:40:39 PM

I don't know if anyone collects these really, it was a buck and I like the sound of vinyl crackle, it's not like I'm imposing it on anyone, I merely mentioned it in a thread about music purchases.  Some of these will have songs from the radio recorded on them, but I'm actually looking for ones with private one off messages, they were sometimes used as a way to send an audio letter, and I find the idea of an audio letter sent to someone in the 30s interesting, a view into a private mundane transmission, or perhaps a juicy secret one.  I like found recordings, answering machine tapes, that kind of thing, though when I bought this I did see it was blank.  I also have one of the record cutting machines, so figured I could use it to test the machine once I get it repaired.

As I said, no hard feelings, I didn't mean to ridicule. I guess the idea of an audio letter is kinda neat in a way. Are these kind of machines easy to come by nowadays? Never heard of that technology...

FreakAnimalFinland

"audio letters"... This is the format what I used back in '93 when first Grunt tapes came out. Post office was selling this audio letter package which consisted white C-20 tape, pre-paid bubble wrap envelope (was it international? Don't remember..) and total price was cheaper than to buy C-60 and pay postage and envelope. So I did bunch of such releases back then.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

youngnosh

The best of what i've bought recently;

Rudimentary Peni - Farce 7"
Poison Idea - Darby Crash Rides Again
Poison Idea - Filthkick 7"
Cramps - File Under Sacred Music 10 x 7"

Zeno Marx

Quote from: acsenger on May 29, 2013, 12:28:43 PMIgor Wakhevitch - all 6 recently re-released LPs
Hadn't heard about these.  Still some of the oddest music I've ever heard.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 29, 2013, 07:39:10 PM
Quote from: acsenger on May 29, 2013, 12:28:43 PMIgor Wakhevitch - all 6 recently re-released LPs
Hadn't heard about these.  Still some of the oddest music I've ever heard.

Very, very unique and interesting music. Recommended!!!

Johann

Blood Stereo & Smegma - awaiting my rearrival in Detroit...first lp ive bought in months

impulse manslaughter

Raison D'être - The Empty Hollow Unfolds cd
Hafler Trio - "Bang!" - An Open Letter cd
Dominik Steiger - Ad Hoc Musi 1980-84 12"

acsenger

QuoteHey, all those are original LP's :) Got the CD a few years ago and really wondering how such a gem is so rarely mentioned. Same goes also to Miereanu's "Luna Cinese" from Nova Musicha series. Hope to find that LP next time in Italy!

Do the original Nova Musicha LPs cost a fortune? I'd love to get Luna Cinese (and the whole NM series, although I don't know if I'd like everything) but it seems there's no affordable version, since the CD version was released only in Japan and is very expensive. Same goes for some other albums in the series, unfortunately.

ghoulson

New stuff this week:
Le Syndicat: 30 Years of Excess 6MC (Influencing Machine Records) !!!!!
Entre Vifs: Heavy Duty CD (IMR)
Sshe Retina Stimulants: Gorgeous Primitivism From Quartz Satellites ‎MC (IMR)
Hollow Bush: Phase IV (IMR)
Ättestupa: Musik för tomma rum LP (Järtecknet)
Blodvite: Falskt spektrum MC (Järtecknet)

Steve

Robert Haigh "Strange & Secret Things" CD (Siren)
Column One "Was Sonst Mir Verborgen" 5"Lathe -Cut (Like A/an Everflowing Stream)

Happy day.

Henrik III

Quote from: acsenger on May 31, 2013, 10:46:09 PM
Do the original Nova Musicha LPs cost a fortune? I'd love to get Luna Cinese (and the whole NM series, although I don't know if I'd like everything) but it seems there's no affordable version, since the CD version was released only in Japan and is very expensive. Same goes for some other albums in the series, unfortunately.
Those few original NM LP's I saw in Italy were usually quite pricey, like 80 euros or above (fortunately Tempo... LP I found was more bearable). Apparently there's a proper vinyl reissue of Luna Cinese in works. Some years ago I bought a few of those Jap NM reissues (which are, btw, nicely done) in Tokyo and they had regular price back then.