Harsh Noise Wall [HNW]

Started by Otomo_Hava, May 22, 2013, 08:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haare

Quote from: Dr Alex on May 28, 2013, 12:27:58 PM
HNW should be brutal and static with brutal themes. Some people doing it with wrong themes or wrong sounds.
If that was the case, some stuff by The Rita and most by Vomir wouldn't qualify as HNW.

Bloated Slutbag

HNW is the first true (noise) product of the internet/wiki age. Most (all) others (and their many and varied descriptors) came online before most of us were online.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

nahàsh atrym

It is known as in Tao Te Ching:

The foolish student hears of the Tao and laughs aloud.
If there were no laughter, the Tao would not be what it is.

I always apply it to my manner of making noise.

When I have to start to manufacture my walls, my friends laughed at me, the salesmen in the specialized stores in musical equipment laughed at me...

we should always be respectful incomprehension, because it is it which proves to us that we are right to persevere.

This is the TAO - This the WAY

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: nahàsh atrym on June 27, 2013, 08:34:16 PM
When I have to start to manufacture my walls, my friends laughed at me, the salesmen in the specialized stores in musical equipment laughed at me...

"When I was young, I told my family and everyone I knew that I wanted to be a comedian, and they laughed at me. Well they're not laughing now!" - late UK comedian Bob Monkhouse.

Tao Te Ching is a great great book full of fun, mischief, mystery and compassion.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: nahàsh atrym on June 27, 2013, 08:34:16 PMwe should always be respectful incomprehension, because it is it which proves to us that we are right to persevere.

No. Because if people stop laughing and start listening you'll then think you're wrong. If HNW is your thing, do it whether people laugh or not.
Shikata ga nai.

Zeno Marx

IDX1274 – Condensed Milk (2005)
GX Jupitter-Larsen/IDX1274 (2005)
IDX1274 - Deluxe Rehearsal Noise Box (2004)

The first time I heard Vomir, I thought of Condensed Milk and Phroq's Static Walls.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

nahàsh atrym

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on June 28, 2013, 02:33:43 AM
Quote from: nahàsh atrym on June 27, 2013, 08:34:16 PMwe should always be respectful incomprehension, because it is it which proves to us that we are right to persevere.

No. Because if people stop laughing and start listening you'll then think you're wrong. If HNW is your thing, do it whether people laugh or not.

What I wanted to say it is that it is necessary to persevere though the others think about it.

But it is difficult for me to correctly express my opinion in a language that I do not control

superskum2013

good wall of noise = good wall of noise imho. , whether it's called HNW or not , I really don't care.

some faves would include Vomir,Sodadosa,Nascitari,Bad Algorithm,Light Collapse but i like many others...
i prefer the pedalbased analog stuff but a good noise is a good noise imho. so sometimes i find myself
listening to and liking other stuff too , Noise Jihad and Inshallah 88 come to mind...

African Audio

HNW is noise of course, if it's good is good but there is a difference in the sense that with a long static slab of noise the game as far as I'm concerned is to get lost in the textures until I'm not sure wether the cracks or micro-variations I perceive in the wall are real (because the sound source shifted for a millisecond for example) or if it's in my mind, numb by the continuous harsh assault.

I don't think HNW has to be 100% brutal in sound but there are some limits, it must be extreme in sound enough to perceive what I call 'cracks' in the wall, not mere oscillation in a wave form, otherwise it's.. a drone maybe ?

dmkerr

Quote from: African Audio on November 22, 2013, 05:26:40 AM
to get lost in the textures until I'm not sure wether the cracks or micro-variations I perceive in the wall are real (because the sound source shifted for a millisecond for example) or if it's in my mind, numb by the continuous harsh assault.

I feel the same, except I think the mind may be over-active rather than numb.  We may be searching too diligently for those variations, which may or may not actually be appearing.

African Audio

Quote from: dmkerr on November 25, 2013, 05:39:59 PM
Quote from: African Audio on November 22, 2013, 05:26:40 AM
to get lost in the textures until I'm not sure wether the cracks or micro-variations I perceive in the wall are real (because the sound source shifted for a millisecond for example) or if it's in my mind, numb by the continuous harsh assault.

I feel the same, except I think the mind may be over-active rather than numb.  We may be searching too diligently for those variations, which may or may not actually be appearing.

Hmm is it over-active or numb ? Perhaps over-active in the "interpretation" of the sound and numb to all the rest.. Or perhaps I'm saying "numb" because I'm influenced by the Vomir esthetic of claustration and nihilism..

On a related note, I'm not really into "changing / moving" walls, except when it's done by Richard Ramirez, maybe because it's more segments of walls next to each other than really moving per se.

The exception would be Black Air "Paris" on Urashima. Fantastic SHIFTING texture there...

pentd

Marko-V

Back in 80's in high school we used to have these juvenile discussions about synth pop vs. so called 'real' music. The fans of guitar music called synth pop "press play and go get some coffee" -music.
Whenever I listen to some of the most boring and static HNW, those discussions return to my mind.

Deadpriest

This is the harshest thing I've ever heard:

Passion Lumberjack - The Smell Of Wood And Blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lVXLCw5m4M

If this isn't a completely redundant reply.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

calaverasgrande

I dunno I feel like the HNW thing is almost like the whole drone trend of a few years ago with some elements of Power Violence tacked on. I've noticed in some major metro areas that I frequent I recognize faces from the hardcore punk scene. I guess some folks are clustering around HN or HNW as the new underground.
I find it really funny to see people fist pumping and getting really aggro at a live performance.
'sick wall bro!'.