Harsh Noise Wall [HNW]

Started by Otomo_Hava, May 22, 2013, 08:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Alex

Quote from: Potier on May 28, 2013, 10:13:16 AM
Quote from: Dr Alex on May 23, 2013, 12:36:31 AM
I become sick and tired of some newcomers with totally wrong view on HNW

Just for clarification:

Who would that be & what is the right view?

Also: at the same time you are blaming the "oldschool guys" for their unwillingness to check out new artists?

Funny how HNW-Threads always turn into this pro/contra & black/white line of arguments...

HNW should be brutal and static with brutal themes. Some people doing it with wrong themes or wrong sounds.

I didn't wrote about that. I tried to write that new artists in HNW need more attention.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: jesusfaggotchrist on May 28, 2013, 01:25:40 AM
Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on May 28, 2013, 12:28:45 AM
Quote from: jesusfaggotchrist on May 28, 2013, 12:01:53 AM
The butt hurt is strong with this one. There's only so much you can do with HNW before its no longer HNW. It's a dead end, much like troniks. I personally prefer dynamic noise where there's something that keeps the listener interested. I probably could only full enjoy HNW if I was really intoxicated. Otherwise it sounds like a pointless excersize in tedium.

Do you have the same opinion about minimal music?

Depends on how you define "minimal"

I mean minimal music like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimal_music
But I suppose that you don't listen this music usually. So, what do you think about ORGANUM, Rolf JULIUS or Thomas KOENER?
I don't like such sub-subgenres as HNW. I guess that such terms are useless. HNW is sub-genre of harsh noise, and harsh noise is sub-genre of industrial noise... but all of them use the same devices and techniques in  process of creation... and the main axis is NOISE as an esthetic factor.... I don't understand people who like HARSH NOISE  but reject POWER ELECTRONICS or OLD SCHOOL INDUSTRIAL or academic avantgarde of electronic music... If you love NOISE you should respect all genres which are based on NOISE... Of course, you may like/respect some project more than others, but genres?

Cementimental

QuoteSome people doing it with wrong themes or wrong sounds.
I know it's unfashionable around here to accept different people's views on what any given noise subgenre should be, especially if it's a 'newcomers' vs 'tradition' situation, but really; if something is a) Harsh b) Noise and c) a 'Wall' of sound then it seems absolutely fair enough to call it HNW regardless of what's depicted on the tape cover, or how uncool it is that HNW is 'cool' these days, or how good (ha!) a tape it is.

QuoteI'll throw in A View From Nihil as one of my favorites: very well "composed" and studied material, extremely good ideas and delivery.
He is indeed great, his set in Leeds recently was incredible and I'm proud to be on the same bill at the forthcoming London HNW festival.

Dr Alex

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on May 28, 2013, 04:52:30 PM
I don't understand people who like HARSH NOISE genre but reject POWER ELECTRONICS or OLD SCHOOL INDUSTRIAL or academic avantgarde of electronic music... If you love NOISE you should respect all genres which are based on NOISE... Of course, you may like/respect some project more than others, but genres?

THAT!!!!!

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Potier on May 28, 2013, 10:13:16 AM
Funny how HNW-Threads always turn into this pro/contra & black/white line of arguments...

It happens in other genre discussion too. What qualifies as "power electronics", what is "industrial" - does rock with drum machine or dance music with little edgy distortion qualify etc.

I do agree with Cementimental that if there are qualities of "harsh", "noise" and "wall", then it really is harsh noise wall, although I personally like the idea that "harsh" would also refer other qualities than sound.

It's hard to see if HWN could even have "traditional" vs "modern", when everything about it is kind of modern and genre is so new it's quite hard to convince about "the good old days... 5 years ago". hah...

I personally often don't like the close-up line sound. Where you hear small sound source and crackling pedal distortion, but nothing else. Having sense of true amplified space is something what I feel is lacking for vast amounts of HNW projects.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Cementimental on May 28, 2013, 05:01:45 PM
I know it's unfashionable around here to accept different people's views on what any given noise subgenre should be, especially if it's a 'newcomers' vs 'tradition' situation, but really; if something is a) Harsh b) Noise and c) a 'Wall' of sound then it seems absolutely fair enough to call it HNW regardless of what's depicted on the tape cover, or how uncool it is that HNW is 'cool' these days, or how good (ha!) a tape it is.

Question is, what we can consider as "wall" in music? Where begins "wall" (and what is "wall" in sonic art? Are there any parameters?), and where "looped/static cacophony" begins? There are very unclear differences, at least for me. I know that we can see differences between VOMIR and Kazumuoto ENDO for example, but, between HIJOKAIDAN and MASONNA are many differences too, but both have labeled as japan noise... Why? Why CABARET VOLTAIRE is labeled as industrial music (using ordinary term), and SPK or NON too, though all of them played different music? We may create more and more names, of course, but is it so important for describing music?

HongKongGoolagong

I'm way too old and out of touch to even know much about what HNW signifies. I saw Richard Ramirez doing a show as Werewolf Jerusalem which is possibly supposed to be in the HNW style? Found it a very disappointing and undynamic show although I have enjoyed his recordings over the years and I am probably simply prejudiced in favour of performances which have some theatrics thrown in - never enjoyed seeing anyone fiddling with effects pedals or laptops. I have Japanese noise which would seem to be harsh, a noise and a wall - some live Merzbow and later Masonna and Hijokaidan.

Can anyone give me a precis of what the HNW genre actually is, and how it differs from traditional 'static' long noise pieces?

jesusfaggotchrist

dr alex, they asked a general question about hnw and i gave an honest answer. not everyone is going to feel the same way and this pretty much public domain, with some moderation. the world doesnt revolve around you.

Dr Alex

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on May 28, 2013, 07:11:34 PMCan anyone give me a precis of what the HNW genre actually is, and how it differs from traditional 'static' long noise pieces?

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf3pgsYIIXE

Why is so important HOW someone make noise? It's important what you hear, right?

Personally I'm not fan of digital made noise but some digital farts sounds good, right?
Propergol do laptop pe/industrial/ambient/whatever-it-is and still sounds great!

Similar discussion was on one Serbian metal board about progressive metal. Progressive metal is about how they play it, not how it sounds like. Fuck it! Fuck progression!

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: Dr Alex on May 28, 2013, 07:32:16 PM
Why is so important HOW someone make noise? It's important what you hear, right?

Completely agree but with live performance I enjoy seeing some theatrics, even if it's just a slideshow or some movement. Really hate watching someone perform noise as if they are recording at home alone. There's an audience there, everything changes.

I like The Rita's noise but I have Grey Wolves-related cassettes dating back to the 1980s that are very similar in sound. It's hardly new.

FreakAnimalFinland

To label Hijokaidan and Masonna "japan noise" appears accurate: They are noise from japan aren't they? Is there some confusion about any of these facts?

The moment when there is difficulty to give precise mathematically accurate rule, some people say it's "impossible". But it's not different from saying cold or hot water. Its not different from saying black or white. Even if there are things between, we acknowledge the difference of black and white and hot and cold. Some grey area between is irrelevant, if HARSH NOISE WALL basically has been often applied only to THE most static, THE most harsh (in context of utmost distortion of original sound signal, resulting mere distortion?). What sets apart "harsh noise wall" from traditional static long noise pieces, would appear to be most of all intent? Intent to focus only on this very minimal approach, where compositional structure may be almost non-existent - or perhaps more accurately to say: Happens only on level of microscopic distortion? If it's all sorts of throwing objects, screaming, guitars, drums, vivid electronics, it appears to be distance quite far from the grey solid brick wall.

Usual examples:

The Rita
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvQoTfgA8Fo

The Rita / Werewolf Jerusalem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_ftL4DcdNg

Vomir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLzEgrHKxNM

etc.

However, often project like Werewolf Jerusalem uses almost Chop Shop like quit cuts from one sound to another. Distracting flow of steady rumbling & crackling noise. And celebrated projects like Cherry Point and perhaps several releases of The Rita too, are more like normal quite dynamic harsh noise with plenty of modulation of drastic moves within the noise piece. Perhaps one should purchase AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE and read the article by The Rita related to this matter. And many of noise makers where doing stuff before term "HNW" was established.

When we talk of "modernism", it's most standard proceedings are: Manifest like approach taken for new expression, what seeks new purity, new restricted form. (Like purification of noise to even more monochrome and direct form.)
But most often they didn't born out of absolute nothing and it soon blends into everything else. It could be even up to debate whether the "MILITANT WALLS" merely had its sudden peak in 2005-2006 and was almost instantly watered down simply by calling just about anything HNW, despite it would be just noise.

What would be most militant output to summarize the genre? "Total Slitting Of Throats" CD? Perhaps! At the same time, very few involved projects are "HNW" in general. It was vision of The Rita where he went further from standard noise piece. If something like that CD and Vomir sets the standard for THE harsh noise wall, then it's pretty easy to see what remains merely good solid noise pieces? To check out the standard, CD's appear to be sold at discogs for less than 3 euro...   HongKongGoolagong can get the reference of utmost "HNW" by listening for example Whitehouse "movement" tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9AXHfjGZ1Y

Oh no! Vomir before Vomir, haha!

(old versions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RthIrdP24yA   Movement 1994.. I guess Movement 1982 is not in youtube? Step by step you hear growing level of "wall". Step by step, finally in utmost static purity. Take that example and transform it to developing "genre"? Movement 1982 was basically just track on great album. Movement 1994 stood out strongly in its minimalism, yet was had still plenty of compositional elements, 2001 = total brick wall of distort mayhem with everything stripped away)
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 28, 2013, 08:20:06 PM
To label Hijokaidan and Masonna "japan noise" appears accurate: They are noise from japan aren't they? Is there some confusion about any of these facts?

I thought that every genre in music or art is based on esthetical factors, not where from something comes. Do we create new genres as American, Finnish or German noise? Maybe "japanese noise" is fake because every noise industrial has the same roots, sources, methods, techniques and devices? Frankly speaking, I don't use term "japanese noise" too because this term is very artificial, which was created only to name all artists from Japan, rejecting important differences in esthetical factors.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on May 28, 2013, 09:08:33 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 28, 2013, 08:20:06 PM

I thought that every genre in music or art is based on esthetical factors, not where from something comes. Do we create new genres as American, Finnish or German noise? Maybe "japanese noise" is fake because every noise industrial has the same roots, sources, methods, techniques and devices? Frankly speaking, I don't use term "japanese noise" too because this term is very artificial, which was created only to name all artists from Japan, rejecting important differences in esthetical factors.
It's nothing new.  Krautrock.  Americana.  Brit pop.  San Francisco psychedelia.  Mountain folk or Appalachian folk.  Swedish death metal.  Regions do sometimes create a unique, identifiable sound or lyric style.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 28, 2013, 09:45:54 PM
It's nothing new.  Krautrock.  Americana.  Brit pop.  San Francisco psychedelia.  Mountain folk or Appalachian folk.  Swedish death metal.  Regions do sometimes create a unique, identifiable sound or lyric style.

As you perfectly know, in krautrock were some groups that came from Belgium, Switzerland, Denmark, Austria too... But ok, I know many other country-named "genres". I am conscious that is  possible and ordinary used, even in Poland are something like: polo-rock (polish version of typical rock music), disco polo (polisj version of disco music), polish punk... So?

Dr Alex

@Mikko nobody said that HNW is something new. Wall noise can be heard before "HNW" mark. Nobody wrote that Vomir or The Rita is inventors of noise.

I don't know why people have problem with HNW as description for some noise? I like when I know what can I except from release.
I can't put term "harsh noise" on Vomir and Sickness or Emil Beaulieau and Dead Body Love. It's not the same. I prefer closer description of sound. But yes, all that is noise!