Kevin Tomkins solo + Sutcliffe Jugend

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 06, 2013, 08:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

The Hunger 2CD is really great, a monumental release! Monolithic. I listened to it several times in the last couple weeks.
It's perfect when you are in that special mood, can't describe it any better.
I also think that all the records from the last years would deserve a mention in the melancholic noise/PE thread as well, at least for my tastes and how I perceive them.

cr

Got the Relentless 4CD set this week and just finished the first CD. This seems to become a glorious farewell. Better than anything from the last 10 years. But then, I also really liked most of the other releases from 2007 onwards.

Max DeFrost

I believe Kevin was working on the definitive WSOTG re-release but had some sort of computer failure which resulted in him losing all his work. This then became history and he only concentrated on latest stuff.
The above was explained by Kevin on his FB page some years ago.

Don't be expecting any WSOTG set any time soon, or indeed, ever

Thor

Quote from: Max DeFrost on July 05, 2019, 07:43:00 PM
I believe Kevin was working on the definitive WSOTG re-release but had some sort of computer failure which resulted in him losing all his work. This then became history and he only concentrated on latest stuff.

I spoke to him about the reissue just a few months ago and he was still open to the idea.

vomitgore

Quote from: Thor on July 09, 2019, 10:13:29 AM

I spoke to him about the reissue just a few months ago and he was still open to the idea.

I remember this incident, too. I think the computer crashed and all the work they did on the remastering was gone, or something like that. Shame! I guess nobody can argue with the fact that WSOTG is one of the most rerelease-worthy works of the entire genre.

Leatherface

Quote from: Thor on July 09, 2019, 10:13:29 AM

I'm in close contact with Kevin for years now, WSOTG will NEVER be re-release.

Leatherface

And to close this subject here's Kevin Tomkins' point of vue:

"Hi Xavier, hope you're well. No plans ever to re-release WSOTG or any Sutcliffe Jugend recorded before year 2000. A different band as far as I'm concerned. Too busy making new music to even think about it. A large amount of it is unfit for release in my opinion. Embarrassing. So can't see it happening. Don't want to put my name to it anymore. I don't like PE. Especially the naive early era stuff. And the copyists. Can't stand any of it. I can't relate to all that Nazi shit. Not my thing. The opposite in fact. Same with Serial killers, lost interest over  twenty years ago. I get asked about releasing the old stuff a lot. I always said maybe one day, just to put them off. Now I'm just saying no.
Did you know Sutcliffe Jugend only existed for about six months in the eighties? No gigs, just a few cassettes (maybe 20?) sold to Whitehouse fans in that time. I didn't even come up with the name. Or the wsotg title! I was very much under Williams wing and influence then. I don't really think I found my own voice until 'This Is The Truth'. Believe it or not, I think our music is very much against all the things people have associated us with, we use the violent imagery in the songs to illustrate our disgust at a vile world. The lyrics are all written that way.
Hope you're that answers your question.  ;)
Kevin"

Leatherface

Sutcliffe Jugend "Relentless" 4CD (Death Continues Records)

After the announcement they are no more, the final Sutcliffe Jugend recording is 'Relentless'. Approximately four hours of ecstatic extreme expressionism. Do not file under easy listening. It's brutal, violent unforgiving and unapologetic art. It is definitely not for the average noise or industrial music listener. A brutal and violent unjust world makes for brutal, violent and some would say 'unjust' art. We say let the world see itself before it drowns in its on shit.

With the exception of two tracks 'Relentless' was recorded in five sessions primarily using analog synthesisers, guitar and vocals. Part written, part improvised the aim was to capture the relentless intensity of their incredible late period live shows.

These are the last scheduled studio recordings of Sutcliffe Jugend, testing the listeners and indeed their own endurance limits. After this release there is nowhere else left to go. Kevin pushes his voice to the limit one more time and Paul matches him every step of the way. Both using their standard live set up plus three analogue and one digital synthesiser, the musical interplay is as brutal and vicious as ever, perhaps even more so. This is the sound of a band not going quietly and collapsing in on itself, they clearly new they only had a short time left. You have been warned, 'Relentless' lives up to its name and it's intensity has no equal. 'Relentless' is clearly not for the faint hearted.

Do not miss out on this limited edition 4CD Digipak release. It's an experience like no other. As Kevin screams on the opening title track, 'THIS IS FUCKING RELENTLESS!'

The circle is closed.

cr

Someone already listened to Sutcliffe No More - Domestic 2CD and can comment on it?
Thanks for any contributions!

impulse manslaughter

QuoteKevin Tomkins of Sutcliffe Jugend is already cooking on the audio for the 2x10Lp Set. Anders Peterson (Audio-Mastering) has mastered already 11 of the 20 Lps. "Campaign Vol.1 & Vol.2 1979-2020" 2x10 Lp-Sets is scheduled for release in April/May 2023. This 2x10Lp Set will consist of 2 individual Box-Sets with 10 records and a booklet. Box 1 will be committed to very early material by Sutcliffe Jugend and pre Sutcliffe Jugend dating back to as far as 1979 until 1983 incl material that Kevin had sent to COME still being called DEATH SQUAD before William Bennett of COME actually suggested to use Sutcliffe Jugend as name and released the famous We Spit On Their Graves Box. Tracks from the WSOTG Box-Set will be on the Vol.1 Set but it will not be released as a whole entity. Box 2 will contain the second period from 1996 until its termination in 2020 and a "Best Off" Selection by Kevin Tomkins.

Taken from the VOD-Facebook page..

Kayandah

Quote from: cr on March 18, 2022, 05:28:26 PM
Someone already listened to Sutcliffe No More - Domestic 2CD and can comment on it?

It's quite a subdued record, more drone than noise but very vocal heavy. The concept is more interesting than the execution but I would still recommend it

MT

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on March 18, 2022, 11:01:01 PM
QuoteKevin Tomkins of Sutcliffe Jugend is already cooking on the audio for the 2x10Lp Set. Anders Peterson (Audio-Mastering) has mastered already 11 of the 20 Lps. "Campaign Vol.1 & Vol.2 1979-2020" 2x10 Lp-Sets is scheduled for release in April/May 2023. This 2x10Lp Set will consist of 2 individual Box-Sets with 10 records and a booklet. Box 1 will be committed to very early material by Sutcliffe Jugend and pre Sutcliffe Jugend dating back to as far as 1979 until 1983 incl material that Kevin had sent to COME still being called DEATH SQUAD before William Bennett of COME actually suggested to use Sutcliffe Jugend as name and released the famous We Spit On Their Graves Box. Tracks from the WSOTG Box-Set will be on the Vol.1 Set but it will not be released as a whole entity. Box 2 will contain the second period from 1996 until its termination in 2020 and a "Best Off" Selection by Kevin Tomkins.

Taken from the VOD-Facebook page..

I'd say the demand for the Vol 1 will be huge. And not so for Vol 2. At least for me.

impulse manslaughter

cr

Quote from: Kayandah on March 19, 2022, 12:14:39 AM
Quote from: cr on March 18, 2022, 05:28:26 PM

It's quite a subdued record, more drone than noise but very vocal heavy. The concept is more interesting than the execution but I would still recommend it

Thanks for your comment. Got this some days ago and I think it's really good, if I'm in the mood for something like this (which I was in the last couple days)
Cheers!

IRONFLAME.de

Quote from: MT on March 19, 2022, 07:08:07 PMI'd say the demand for the Vol 1 will be huge. And not so for Vol 2.

Both sets will only be available as a bundle, not separately