Noise Suggestions on Spotify...?

Started by L.Ø.G.R., May 04, 2013, 07:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L.Ø.G.R.

I've noticed Spotify actually has a great amount of noise/PE despite my initial assumption of a service like this not even slightly catering to the genre(s). I wanted to see if anyone else here is using it too for the specified purpose. There's a shit ton of Prurient on there (not surprised since everything is on Boomkat and otherwise) so I'm interested to know if you guys have any top-tier albums you could recommend that are available within the app. Sadly our lord and master Masami Akita is lacking in availability (weird) otherwise I'd be too busy going through everything I've yet to hear by him and have no time for what I'm asking for!

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: L.Ø.G.R. on May 04, 2013, 07:37:31 PM
I've noticed Spotify actually has a great amount of noise/PE despite my initial assumption of a service like this not even slightly catering to the genre(s). I wanted to see if anyone else here is using it too for the specified purpose. There's a shit ton of Prurient on there (not surprised since everything is on Boomkat and otherwise) so I'm interested to know if you guys have any top-tier albums you could recommend that are available within the app. Sadly our lord and master Masami Akita is lacking in availability (weird) otherwise I'd be too busy going through everything I've yet to hear by him and have no time for what I'm asking for!

I can write only that you choose wrong place on listening music :) Maybe I am wrong but SPOTIFY isn't nice place for the most readers from  SI forum :) At least I don't consider SPOTIFY (and similar services) as good place for searching interesting music.

L.Ø.G.R.

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on May 04, 2013, 07:59:22 PM

I can write only that you choose wrong place on listening music :) Maybe I am wrong but SPOTIFY isn't nice place for the most readers from  SI forum :) At least I don't consider SPOTIFY (and similar services) as good place for searching interesting music.
It's not the best thing in the world, but I'm also on a trial and won't be paying for it unless I find it truly useful. There's nothing wrong with it - maybe it's "hip" or whatever, but the opinion of others on a piece of software being popular or not certainly isn't going to sway me in a direction where I won't at least see what it's all about. And so far it has enough relevant noise artists that it seems there should be at least someone who is interested in using it for the genre. I'm all for paying for physical releases (you can't beat holding something) but it's nice to be able to check out classics seamlessly and at one's own will.

Invisible War

It depends on the label. Tesco has been putting a good deal of their back catalog on there.
Genocide Organ (about 10 of their releases)
Deathpile - G.R.
Bloodyminded
Institut
Operation Cleansweep - Power Hungry
Grey Wolves - Division, Blood & Sand
Tesco Disco - Heavy Electronics II
Sutcliffe Jugend
Whitehouse
IRM - Oedipus Dethroned, Virgin Mind
Navicon Torture Technologies
Theologian
Con-Dom - The Eighth Pillar, Acts of Faith, The Beautiful, All in Good Faith, Control Domination

L.Ø.G.R.

Quote from: Invisible War on May 05, 2013, 09:04:00 PM
It depends on the label. Tesco has been putting a good deal of their back catalog on there.
Genocide Organ (about 10 of their releases)
Deathpile - G.R.
Bloodyminded
Institut
Operation Cleansweep - Power Hungry
Grey Wolves - Division, Blood & Sand
Tesco Disco - Heavy Electronics II
Sutcliffe Jugend
Whitehouse
IRM - Oedipus Dethroned, Virgin Mind
Navicon Torture Technologies
Theologian
Con-Dom - The Eighth Pillar, Acts of Faith, The Beautiful, All in Good Faith, Control Domination
Awesome. Thank you. Tesco Disco sounds like it'd be awesome, checking it out tonight.

Jaakko V.

Don't have Spotify myself so cannot be too sure, but doesn't Beläten have also some stuff available there?

post-morten

Sadly our lord and master Masami Akita is lacking in availability (weird)

Actually Merzbow is extremely well represented, since there are around 50 releases by him on Spotify. But I think their availability may depend on what region you're in (I'm in Sweden btw). Also Daniel Menche and Prurient have huge portions of their respective discographies in there. Other artists that have many albums include Illusion Of Safety, Z'ev, Beequeen, NON, Contrastate, and Nurse With Wound. If you want to explore the early electronic pioneers (Henry, Xenakis, Cage, Stockhausen, etc etc) or the minimalists (Reilly, Conrad, Reich, Charlemagne Palestine) or general oddballs (Moondog, Sun Ra, Harry Partch) you can go on for weeks.

That Spotify is useless for the experimental music fiend is an uniformed misconception.

post-morten

Quote from: Salamanauhat on May 06, 2013, 11:45:15 AM
Don't have Spotify myself so cannot be too sure, but doesn't Beläten have also some stuff available there?

Yes: http://open.spotify.com/search/label%3abelaten

Mattias G

I don´t use Spotify myself but i was also very impressed how huge the selection is. Allot of EAM and older classics. Hospital, Hanson stuff. Surprising!

andy vomit

i've found lots of good stuff on spotify...

the grey wolves
con-dom
brighter death now
dissecting table
folkstorm
sutcliffe jugend
isomer
lustmord
institut
operation cleansweep
IRM
NTT / theologian
deutsch nepal
and pretty much everything hospital has put out.

tons more too.
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

acsenger

I listened to Maximum Punishment Solutions by Thorofon and most of Leichenlinie by Genocide Organ on Spotify yesterday. The sound quality wasn't very good but then I didn't expect it to be either. Seeing how much interesting music is on it, I think it's a great source for discovering new music, nothing more, nothing less: if I like something, I'll buy it in physical format and if I don't, I saved money by not having bought the physical format and didn't waste time trying to find a downloadable version on the net.

scumwalski

I'm not sure about the mechanics of how the deals between Spotify and labels go down but personally, I'd love to see more noise available via that particular outlet. Sometimes it's just too difficult to shell out enough cash to purchase each and every album that you'd like to own at the exact moment when it comes out and downloading mp3s often feels like stealing from both the label and the artist. Listening to music on Spotify is a fair alternative - I get to listen to the album and the label still receives some cash. Plus it works really well on mobile devices which is also pretty cool and opens up some nice possibilities like not having to carry a stack of CDs to play in your car stereo and/or not having to rip CDs to load mp3s on your music device.

martialgodmask

Quote from: apewrist on July 06, 2013, 01:18:38 PM
I'm not sure about the mechanics of how the deals between Spotify and labels go down but personally, I'd love to see more noise available via that particular outlet. Sometimes it's just too difficult to shell out enough cash to purchase each and every album that you'd like to own at the exact moment when it comes out and downloading mp3s often feels like stealing from both the label and the artist. Listening to music on Spotify is a fair alternative - I get to listen to the album and the label still receives some cash. Plus it works really well on mobile devices which is also pretty cool and opens up some nice possibilities like not having to carry a stack of CDs to play in your car stereo and/or not having to rip CDs to load mp3s on your music device.

Many many artists/bands/performers have Bandcamps now though, is it necessary for them to be on Spotify also? Maybe Bandcamp could do with a Spotify-style UI that is also optimised for mobile devices but at least you know that you're listening or downloading with the artist's consent.

I'd never thought to look for noise/related on Spotify, always assumed I'd be wasting my time. May have to check it out.

scumwalski

Quote from: martialgodmask on July 07, 2013, 01:57:38 PM
Quote from: apewrist on July 06, 2013, 01:18:38 PM

Many many artists/bands/performers have Bandcamps now though, is it necessary for them to be on Spotify also? Maybe Bandcamp could do with a Spotify-style UI that is also optimised for mobile devices but at least you know that you're listening or downloading with the artist's consent.

I'd never thought to look for noise/related on Spotify, always assumed I'd be wasting my time. May have to check it out.

Well it's obviously not necessary although Bandcamp and Spotify are quite different in the sense that Bandcamp is a website and Spotify is a streaming service that you can access through dedicated software available on many platforms (Windows, Linux, Android, iOS etc.). As far as I know, getting your music on Spotify is a much more bothersome process which is actually a good thing - more quality content in comparison to Bandcamp.

JK-blodrode