Quiet, Please

Started by Andrew McIntosh, April 29, 2013, 04:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

I've been more and more interested in "quiet noise", music/sound-art that is still abstract, perhaps even still distorted and dirty, but on the other end of the volume spectrum - quiet, remote, unimposing, insisting more on concentrated listening rather than feeding the gluttonous urges.

I've mentioned Vangelis's "Invisible Connections" in the Playlist topic. While usually known for melodic (and lately, sickly and over-the-top theatrical) music, his background in jazz puts him in good stead when he wants to do something different, and this release is very abstract, no doubt unlistenable to his usual audience. Strong use of silence and darkness.

"Duos For Doris", by the duo of Keith Rowe and John Tilbury, also from jazz/improv. backgrounds (as I understand), is a release I heard a few years ago that made me realise how important and powerful the use of soft volume and silent spaces can be. Three lengthy, improvised pieces over two albums, combining piano, guitar and electronics, this is demanding listening, not forgiving of the lazy. For those who make the effort, I believe it will be worth it to you. Again, very abstracted, hardly anything identifiable as "music", with soft crackling distortion and buzzes, sparingly used piano plunks and other, occasional sounds (including radio).

The last few years, for me, have also been years of influence by Ernie Altoff, Australian composer of sound installations and improvised 'scapes. A maker of solar powered instruments from the cheapest and easiest available materials which, when operated together, make pure, soft yet metallic sounds. Other recordings of his feature simple materials found around the house, blatant field recordings, and so on.

Thanks to our favourite magazine I was introduced to the work of Raymond Dijkstra. The couple of albums I've downloaded (I appreciate that his releases are total packages) are greatly inspiring - the squeaky rubbing of glass, the gentle murmur of the accordion, and the over-all couldn't-give-a-fuck attitude of the sound arrangement. By that I mean, there's a charming naivety to the construction, intentional or not, that makes it greatly listenable for me. Certainly, others of his pieces are noisier (http://www.thewire.co.uk/audio/tracks/p=15017), and equally charming.

I can't speak with any authority on most of the albums mentioned on this list - perhaps others can, as well as fill in more gaps with more recommended "quiet noise".
Shikata ga nai.

Potier

When we are talking about quiet, abstract, dirty, silence, darkness, drones, improv...let's see...
Before I get to the list you linked, let me throw out some more stuff:

Mystery Sea (Label) - lots of great stuff on there (K.M. Krebs, Pholde, Mathieu Ruhlmann, Jgrzinich, Aalfang Mit Pferdekopf...)
Cut (Label/Jason Kahn) - a few people from the list...everything I have heard is good
Non Visual Objects (Label) - various forms of minimalism...
Bremsstrahlung Recordings - only a few releases but lots of great inspirational stuff on the 2 Lowercase-Compilations
12k (Label) - minimalism of all forms, sometimes very organic, sometimes very sterile - lots of good stuff
Afe Records - all sorts of experimental, drone, ambient, improv, electro acoustic stuff etc.
Fukk God Let's Create (Label) - dead netlabel...probably hard to find stuff these days...Dead Letters Spell Out Dead Words, Winquist Virtanen etc.
CONV (Label) - from spain, great option since there's lots of net-releases (Asher, Ubeboet, Christopher McFall, Pablo Reche...)

Wanna go near silence? Try Microsound - Richard Chartier (LINE-Label), some Bernhard Guenter, Federico Monti...so much great material.

Now to the list:

Lots of Balloon & Needle...abstract, edgy stuff - been spinning so much of this stuff lately - great sterile, mechanical sounds, cracked electronics improv. Recommended!
Lescalleet needs no introduction...
Nakamura's no input mixer can be hit & miss...
same thing applies to Sachiko M's no input sampler...
Gonna recommend Tetreault...and while I am at it, Michael Gendreau as well...

Not sure if this helps you...just a broad brushstroke.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Potier on April 29, 2013, 06:07:25 AMNot sure if this helps you..

It helps me greatly, thank you.

No-input mixer material I have found to be generally hit-and-miss. One of those things where the output doesn't meet the expectations of the idea. From what I've heard so far, anyway.
Shikata ga nai.

bitewerksMTB

First thing I thought of reading "Quiet, Please" is "Yeah, shut up".

tinnitustimulus

David Tudor - Microphones

Jeph Jerman has been mentioned a lot on here before.

David Jackman - Up From Zero - kind of like a new blockaders album turned down

Hugh Davies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPT9A0IsGgs

small cruel party - An Accident In Substance - very textural

I haven't listened to Francisco Lopez in a while, and some releases are quite loud, I feel like most of his releases would qualify for this though.

I have downloaded a very abstract album from Jim O'Rouke from the early 90's that is very quiet from no longer forgotten sound called "Secure On The Loose Rim", does anybody else have suggestions of work from him that is like this? I'm just trying to avoid listening to indie rock.

Zeno Marx

The defunct label, Fusion Audio, used to be a hotbed for this kind of thing.  Pablo Reche comes to mind.  I could be misinterpreting the thread, but there have been "ambient noise" threads on other boards that seem like would have good conversations about this type noise.  To go along with the FLopez recommendation (Addy en el pais de las frutas y los chunches, La Selva), Trente Oiseaux is another label to explore.  Bernhard Gunter.  Hands To, like Circumscription, is another consideration.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Andrew McIntosh

Depends on the definition of "ambient", but probably so. But I'm interested in artists who have used silence and quiet sounds in their work, not just for a general ambient mood, as it where.
EDIT - No, you're right, a lot of what is considered "ambient" would come under this.

Thembi Soddell released an album called "Intimacy" on the Cajid label which alternated between loud and near silence. The loud isn't quite ear-cracking Harsh Noise (on the recording, live it was a different matter), but the near silence really is that. You have to have the album turned up on the stereo to listen.
Shikata ga nai.

Potier

I just wanted to throw some specific recommendations out there as well - some of my favorites that would have to go on the list as well:

Fhievel - Le Baptême De La Solitude (petite sono])
Fhievel - Preghiera Per Una Stella (Afe Records)

I cannot praise this guy enough! 2 of best field recording/minimal/ambient releases I have ever heard.
The Petite Sono Label is criminally overlooked - unfortunately Nathan is not doing it anymore. The Ten Below Compilation is stunning.

Christopher Willits - Folding, And The Tea (12k)

Really manages to hold my attention - great approach to sound. His collaborations with Taylor Deupree are beautiful as well.

Marc Behrens, Paulo Raposo ‎– Hades (and/OAR)

Another great approach to field recordings. Behrens is another essential artist. (works on Intransitive, Entr'acte, Auf Abwegen...)
and/OAR is a great imprint as well...run by Dale Lloyd...who's work is definitely worth looking into as well.

Bretschneider + Steinbrüchel ‎– Status (12k)

Just one of the great works by Steinbrüchel - there's more. So much interesting stuff coming out of Switzerland. Usually really quiet, glitchy & polished sound.

There'll be more - I am sure...

Andrew McIntosh

Rod Cooper's fine lp, "Magnets On Blank Tape", from a label with the unfortunate name of Pleasing Everyone All The Time, is just that - the application of magnets onto blank tape. The results are sometimes rhythmic, sometimes abstracted, and nearly always just above listening level. A few sounds actually remind me of someone trying to imitate soft farting noises, oddly.
Shikata ga nai.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: the streetcleaner on April 29, 2013, 12:40:15 PM
42 minutes of dense quiet noise, here...http://innerempire.bandcamp.com/album/dedovshchina

Downloaded and had a couple of listens to this. At first I thought it was defeated by its very length, but of course, with a piece of this nature, it's a personal choice to listen to however much of it I want to, and sitting down with a bottle of wine helps the process. It's satisfying enough, and certainly an interesting concept.

Recently got a copy of the Pentadrvg/Kromeshna double cd from Iceage Productions. While Pendtadrg does reasonable drone (which require close listening to get the subtleties), for purposes of this discussion I recommend the Ktomeshna piece, "Bagul'nik", which combines drone (again), site recordings and acoustic object elements in a well pace, well constructed, slow moving hour of quiet noise.
Shikata ga nai.

Bloated Slutbag

This post touches on a personal pet concern. I've often felt, and have occasionally suggested in public forums such as these, that truly great HARSH NOISE is as impressive at low volumes as it is at high volumes. Or it can be, when tweaked just so. (via artist and/or listener)

Hence an ongoing confusion with criticisms "insisting more on concentrated listening rather than feeding the gluttonous urges".  To these ears, it's all pretty indistinguishable. (Or it was, at any rate, before the advent of HNW via The Rita & co; that is to say, before the idea of pure noise was refined in way that ruled out the possibility of things like "density" mattering a damn.)

Take a track like the severely pitched "Gody Fishing" from Incpacitants Quietus. After the first two cuts have combined to deliver a thorough working over of a very heavily saturated sound palate, a "quiet" denouement whose definition emerges... slowly... as if out of a fog (quite the literal emergence, in my experience, after the ears have been so convincingly pummeled into non-fidelity -  if that's an adjectival phrase -  feeding the sense that my auditory passages are "primed" for reception.) I have in any case derived more enjoyment from this track at very low volume than I have at high volume (notwithstanding the exceedingly high likelihood in the latter event of coming away with permanent hearing loss.)
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag