Consumer Electronics

Started by HongKongGoolagong, April 21, 2013, 03:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simulacrum

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on November 29, 2014, 10:39:20 PM
Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on November 29, 2014, 04:08:44 PM
It's easy to sum this thing up - total rip off. Big name, big ornate release, big hype and big bucks to pay for it. Total fucking rip off. Apparently Cut Hands is going to release a double twelve inch vinyl soon.

Yea, it's your money...do something useful next time and wipe your arse with it or something.

The same thoughts. Sometimes (maybe more often than only "sometimes") big names are weaker and weaker with time. Why not if people buy their works due to "these" NAMES, instead of MUSIC? These NAMES needn't demand of ourselves.

This is just idealism. People are going to have their choices strongly informed by recognized names/brands/affiliations, etc. Street art faggots would shell out hundreds for a terrible piece touted as a Banksy piece. People are going to shop recognized, usual and trusted designer of clothing before they venture to purchase from an unusual designer. I would and do buy loads of books by authors I've read and enjoyed before I take a chance on an author I've never heard of. Phillip Best of Whitehouse, Ramleh and Consumer Electronics is going to move more units of even a shoddy release than the greatest undiscovered release made by some lame-ass nobody's heard of.
Why is this an issue? It's just the way things are.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: simulacrum on November 30, 2014, 10:04:56 AM
Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on November 29, 2014, 10:39:20 PM
Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on November 29, 2014, 04:08:44 PM
It's easy to sum this thing up - total rip off. Big name, big ornate release, big hype and big bucks to pay for it. Total fucking rip off. Apparently Cut Hands is going to release a double twelve inch vinyl soon.

Yea, it's your money...do something useful next time and wipe your arse with it or something.

The same thoughts. Sometimes (maybe more often than only "sometimes") big names are weaker and weaker with time. Why not if people buy their works due to "these" NAMES, instead of MUSIC? These NAMES needn't demand of ourselves.

This is just idealism. People are going to have their choices strongly informed by recognized names/brands/affiliations, etc. Street art faggots would shell out hundreds for a terrible piece touted as a Banksy piece. People are going to shop recognized, usual and trusted designer of clothing before they venture to purchase from an unusual designer. I would and do buy loads of books by authors I've read and enjoyed before I take a chance on an author I've never heard of. Phillip Best of Whitehouse, Ramleh and Consumer Electronics is going to move more units of even a shoddy release than the greatest undiscovered release made by some lame-ass nobody's heard of.
Why is this an issue? It's just the way things are.

I don't care about so called PEOPLE, and so called THEIR NEEDS...

simulacrum

Lol okay *~crAzy gUy~*
I'm just outlining some very basic human psychology that you either failed to acknowledge or failed to accept prior to your first post.

GEWALTMONOPOL

That live clip with the Lambada beat and his chick behind a bunch of gear he has to help her with is well funny.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Cementimental

Actually it's about ethics in power electronics journalism

Leewar

I love how after all these years, and the fact it now seems cool to slag off anything and everything that Bennett/Sotos/Best do after whitehouse, that they can still have such a impact.

How many of the 'artists' of today will still be putting noses out of joint years later? Not many i wager.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Leewar on December 01, 2014, 12:46:53 PM
I love how after all these years, and the fact it now seems cool to slag off anything and everything that Bennett/Sotos/Best do after whitehouse, that they can still have such a impact.

How many of the 'artists' of today will still be putting noses out of joint years later? Not many i wager.

I would assume it has more to do with "bands you know". Logically known bands are more likely to receive critics for flaws than bands people don't know and haven't heard. Guys who used to do killer stuff, but gradually did less interesting, do receive critic for it?
Lets think,... Prurient? Wolf Eyes? Merzbow? etc etc. Latest NON, TG reunion, all sorts of stuff what receives critic from listeners. I'm sure this is valid for any good band that turns a lot less interesting.

I have been highly critical for some later days Gary Mundy works, but latest Kleistwahr CD is pretty good. Certainly much much better than latest CE, Whitehouse, Wolf Eyes, NON, or such was. Previous LP I hated. This one liked.

Quote from: simulacrum on November 30, 2014, 10:04:56 AM
I would and do buy loads of books by authors I've read and enjoyed before I take a chance on an author I've never heard of.

Therefore it would be good that names people see, are not merely talk about bands who everybody already knows, but people actually recommending the good new stuff worth to check out. That's how "underground" generally used to work. Some people may check out stuff totally without outer influence, but generally word travels in network and you check out interesting stuff you heard being good.

Perhaps it would be interesting topic of discussion: What bands to you appears like they're getting better and better?! I could easily drop handful of names who in my humble subjective opinion are getting better and better all the time. Also some artists who are getting more diverse, making hard to really compare with past achievements beyond acknowledging they go into new directions and succeed in that and makes me wait where they go next. I'm sure most of these guys mentioned on message above, can be given credit for doing to something new and not just do the same. But it hardly matters if new stuff doesn't do anything to you and you're quite confident that this is just about last thing you're going to bother to check out.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Johnny James

CE did a gig only 7" a couple of months back and there's one on Discogs now for £100 so we've posted up a video so the track can be freely available to all. Incidentally, it's probably that expensive due to Sleaford Mods - not us!

I've read many of the comments here with interest, you may not believe it, but we certainly do not do this for the money. For each and every release the professional recording, mastering and production costs vastly outweigh any monies recouped.

Sorry if anyone feels cheated or ripped off. You don't actually have to buy these things. I, however, do have to keep making them. And paying for them.

And for anyone who thinks my wife's involvement in the band is some kind of opportunistic bolt-on, after hearing this maybe a few might think again. Or maybe not, it's a free world ...

Thanks for your support

& Enjoy!   Philip Best http://youtu.be/QB0TLkH5oCY

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Johnny James on December 17, 2014, 05:04:08 PM
For each and every release the professional recording, mastering and production costs vastly outweigh any monies recouped.

Sorry if anyone feels cheated or ripped off. You don't actually have to buy these things. I, however, do have to keep making them. And paying for them.

It seems to me that you could save yourself, and your punters, a great deal of money if you didn't make your last release so ridiculous, format-wise. It's not a free world, it's an expensive one.

Would a simple one-cd or even one vinyl release really have made your music any less listenable?

Dare I even suggest - as a download?
Shikata ga nai.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Leewar on December 01, 2014, 12:46:53 PM
Does "have such an impact" = create conversation?  If so, that only makes sense, and it is nothing new.  When members of classic bands are all off doing their own personal projects, they sort of slip into a place where few people pay attention.  They can play tiny clubs.  They gain back some of their anonymity.  But when they all gather again under their known monikers, people who otherwise don't give a shit come out in normal support.  They get 12 people to show up at one of their new alias gigs, but under the big name, they can pack a midsized venue.

So when 1000 people are paying attention to your known groups, you get a decent number of people talking about it, distilling it, etc.  If 10 people are paying attention to your group, one person might want to talk about it.  There's no conversation there.  As for it being in-style to rip on certain, old bands, there's probably some truth to that, but if a culture can deem them greats, that same culture can certainly also deem them has-beens and past their peak (or stuck in a low).  I don't think it is so easily marked as just cool, because there is probably a good deal of truth to the criticism, too.  And by truth, I'm talking about what comes from consensus opinion.  The converse of all this, of course, are the folks who think everything an artist does is interesting and/or good.  I never trust those people.  They're too forgiving for me.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

SiClark

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on December 18, 2014, 03:06:48 AM
Dare I even suggest - as a download?
Just saw it's on itunes now for a much more reasonable price which is nice. Not sure what the booklet that comes with it contains, artwork I guess, is there a lot of artwork that comes with the full release? I do really like the front cover artwork for this.

Andrew McIntosh

Ah, now, that shuts me up somewhat. Still think the physical release is silly but at least there are options for people who want to listen to this.
Shikata ga nai.

SiClark

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it, wasn't expecting a digital version at all.