Consumer Electronics

Started by HongKongGoolagong, April 21, 2013, 03:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coughinghorse

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on May 05, 2015, 03:51:06 AM
Quote from: coughinghorse on May 05, 2015, 01:04:11 AM
Quote from: Vigilante Ecstasy on February 04, 2015, 01:34:55 PM
CE turned shit when Best took that daughter of his to the band and stage. Art school hipster chick fooling around on stage isn't my idea of power electronics. Lame.

Hehe, that's the point, don't see you see? She's succeeded.

A friend of mine pointed out that "she looks like new CE sounds" and that's pretty spot on.

Oh, stop. Weak argument.

Really, what about her involvement in the band makes the material weak? Nice and clearly, state it. Because: 1) "Art school hipster chick fooling around on stage isn't my idea of power electronics. Lame." strikes me as impotent cock bro argument with nothing to say regarding the actual content of the music itself. I have little tolerance for people pulling the "way she looks" argument for women involved in noise and industrial because more than half of us dudes involved in this shit look fucking stupid as we hunch over our tables and feign a forceful face despite the music being fucking top-notch. She's got glasses, get over it. It's nothing new. I'm concerned with sound, good sound, fucking provocative sound. As long as people are dropping her looks on stage as a negative argument about the project largely detached from the sound itself, she's winning with a leather whip in hand lashing the fools with impotent dismissals. hehe. 2) I refer back to "isn't my idea of power electronics." NO SHIT, DUDE. Of course, it's not power electronics. You can't judge stuff that is at this point clearly not power electronics as power electronics. Try, try again.

Personally, I find it a good listen - the newest album that is. Best's lyrics and delivery on "Murder the Masters" are solid and the sounds aren't all that shabby. However, if I wanted more industrial dance music, I'd personally pick something more intense and harsh hehe.

Vigilante Ecstasy

Quote from: coughinghorse on May 05, 2015, 05:53:39 AM
Really, what about her involvement in the band makes the material weak? Nice and clearly, state it. Because: 1) "Art school hipster chick fooling around on stage isn't my idea of power electronics. Lame." strikes me as impotent cock bro argument with nothing to say regarding the actual content of the music itself. I have little tolerance for people pulling the "way she looks" argument for women involved in noise and industrial because more than half of us dudes involved in this shit look fucking stupid as we hunch over our tables and feign a forceful face despite the music being fucking top-notch. She's got glasses, get over it. It's nothing new. I'm concerned with sound, good sound, fucking provocative sound.

To me power electronics isn't just sounds. One of the reasons I like pe so much is that it pleases me as a misogynistic asshole that I am. There are other reasons of course, for example just the pure sonic bliss of ear raping sounds. But what adds more power to the sound is the unapologetic way of dealing with prurient topics as sex, violence and power. It has to be done in this way, otherwise the pure power just isn't there.

I'm not interested in seeing Peter Best cuddling and giggling on stage with his child-wife, it's just lame and awkward as fuck. It takes away the power that, at least for me, was there before. Watching CE perform feels like I'm watching some silly fucking bachelor party. But that doesn't really bother me too much, I deal with CE as with other bands that have gone shit by just ignoring them.

"Is it too loud for you, honeybunny? We can choose some softer sounds you can dance to."

Quote from: coughinghorse on May 05, 2015, 05:53:39 AMAs long as people are dropping her looks on stage as a negative argument about the project largely detached from the sound itself, she's winning with a leather whip in hand lashing the fools with impotent dismissals.

Typical run-of-the-mill example of White Knight Syndrome.
I'm tensed up/To watch the sex film

Leewar

Quote from: Vigilante Ecstasy on May 05, 2015, 09:26:58 AMIt has to be done in this way

There are rules? Shit, i didnt get the memo, can somebody forward it to me please?

Cementimental

Quote from: Vigilante Ecstasy on May 05, 2015, 09:26:58 AM
Typical run-of-the-mill example of some reddit kid who got into a music genre he doesn't even understand because he wrongly assumes it's all by and for " misogynistic assholes" like himself

PE has always been, for better or worse and sometimes knowingly and sometimes not, much awkward more than powerful anyway, don't take the name too literally :D

QuoteThere are rules? Shit, i didnt get the memo, can somebody forward it to me please?
1. Take at literal face value a genre consisting almost entirely of provocation, metaphor, sarcasm, appropriation and criticism.
2. Only slavishly copy the sounds that some guys happened to do decades ago because that was all they could afford and/or they didn't know what they were doing, slate the same guys who invented the whole thing for actually doing anything new.
3. Echo on mic
4. Don't bother putting 10 seconds of black at the beginning and end of your visuals, it's totally kvlt to see the OS X desktop pop up at the end of your google image search + windows moviemaker war atrocities video, and in no way takes away from the seriousness of it all
5. No girls allowed in the treehouse

Vigilante Ecstasy

Quote from: Leewar on May 05, 2015, 12:41:26 PM
Quote from: Vigilante Ecstasy on May 05, 2015, 09:26:58 AMIt has to be done in this way

There are rules? Shit, i didnt get the memo, can somebody forward it to me please?

There are no rules, I described the way I want to have my dose of violent power electronics. To each his own.

Vigilante Ecstasy

Quote from: Cementimental on May 05, 2015, 12:49:51 PM
Typical run-of-the-mill example of some reddit kid who got into a music genre he doesn't even understand

I'm 32 years old. Introduced to noise, pe and other avantgarde shit in 1996. It took however many years to really get accustomed to the extreme sounds and form a deeper interest in the subject, making my first own recordings as late as 2002. What the fuck is reddit?

because he wrongly assumes it's all by and for "misogynistic assholes" like himself

Where and how did I made this assumption? I don't find it.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on May 05, 2015, 03:51:06 AM
A friend of mine pointed out that "she looks like new CE sounds" and that's pretty spot on.

Oh, stop. Weak argument.

Didn't look like an argument to me, more like someone just taking the piss. You sure you want to take other peoples' dislikes that seriously?

Quote from: Cementimental on May 05, 2015, 12:49:51 PMPE has always been, for better or worse and sometimes knowingly and sometimes not, much awkward more than powerful anyway, don't take the name too literally :D

An excerpt from the chapter "How Many Times Do I Have To Tell You Neanderthals?!" from Tim's forthcoming book "Power Electronics: No One Gets It But Me".

Who'd have thought Consumer Electronics would some day be defended by pro feminist fellas? How the world turns, eh?
Shikata ga nai.

Cementimental

strange and nuanced world we live in :)

coughinghorse

Really, what about her involvement in the band makes the material weak? Nice and clearly, state it. Because: 1) "Art school hipster chick fooling around on stage isn't my idea of power electronics. Lame." strikes me as impotent cock bro argument with nothing to say regarding the actual content of the music itself. I have little tolerance for people pulling the "way she looks" argument for women involved in noise and industrial because more than half of us dudes involved in this shit look fucking stupid as we hunch over our tables and feign a forceful face despite the music being fucking top-notch. She's got glasses, get over it. It's nothing new. I'm concerned with sound, good sound, fucking provocative sound.

To me power electronics isn't just sounds. One of the reasons I like pe so much is that it pleases me as a misogynistic asshole that I am. There are other reasons of course, for example just the pure sonic bliss of ear raping sounds. But what adds more power to the sound is the unapologetic way of dealing with prurient topics as sex, violence and power. It has to be done in this way, otherwise the pure power just isn't there.

I'm not interested in seeing Peter Best cuddling and giggling on stage with his child-wive, it's just lame and awkward as fuck. It takes away the power that, at least for me, was there before. Watching CE perform feels like I'm watching some silly fucking bachelor party. But that doesn't really bother me too much, I deal with CE as with other bands that have gone shit by just ignoring them.

"Is it too loud for you, honeybunny? We can choose some softer sounds you can dance to."

Quote from: coughinghorse on May 05, 2015, 05:53:39 AMAs long as people are dropping her looks on stage as a negative argument about the project largely detached from the sound itself, she's winning with a leather whip in hand lashing the fools with impotent dismissals.

It just sounds like you're angry there's a girl in the band and the "I'm angry women hating prick so PE needs to be done my way or the highway" is just a posture and cover phrase for not actually knowing what about CE makes you angry just in terms of the musical content itself( themes included).

So I stand by opinion, the new CE is dashingly provocative in its own right.

Vigilante Ecstasy

1. Take at literal face value a genre consisting almost entirely of provocation, metaphor, sarcasm, appropriation and criticism.
1. Take at literal face value random comments and points on forum posts.

2. Only slavishly copy the sounds that some guys happened to do decades ago because that was all they could afford and/or they didn't know what they were doing, slate the same guys who invented the whole thing for actually doing anything new.
2. Only slavishly copy the knee-jerk reactions of every lame White Knight on internet.

3. Echo on mic
3. Get butthurt about different opinions.

4. Don't bother putting 10 seconds of black at the beginning and end of your visuals, it's totally kvlt to see the OS X desktop pop up at the end of your google image search + windows moviemaker war atrocities video, and in no way takes away from the seriousness of it all
4. Don't bother putting 10 seconds of any rational thought before you post.

5. No girls allowed in the treehouse
I approve this message. Now go cry to Reddit.

Cementimental

also the 'hilarious' caption is dumb by any standard. Even if you're the sort of person for whom "Is it too loud for you, honeybunny? We can choose some softer sounds you can dance to." is in any way amusing because LOL WOMEN, it falls totally flat in this case since this is a photo of a specific woman who is actually performing this music, and often at higher volumes than most of us usually get to play live :)

QuoteWhat the fuck is reddit?
it's the place where teenage boys cook up childish internet jargon catchphrases like "White Knighting" which eventually filter down to PE fans apparently. You'd fit right in there, get your misogyny fresh from the source. :D

coughinghorse

Post above by Cementimental strikes me as exactly right. If two people fooling around on stage to sleazy techno informed strongly by industrial music makes you feel akward, maybe industrial as an entire genre (Bizzare Uproar to SPK to Puce Mary to Whitehouse) is too much for you. Just sayin'

ONE

Quote from: coughinghorse on May 05, 2015, 01:37:12 PM
sleazy techno

Agreed!  This could be close to Sleazy's idea of techno.
resist the things you can find everywhere

bradbillet

nobodys ugly been on repeat for past few years

Johnny James

CONSUMER ELECTRONICS live

08/21 AUSTIN Elysium
08/27 DALLAS Crown & Harp
08/28 SAN ANTONIO Phantom Room
09/26 CHICAGO Rectum + Pharmakon

New Album: Dollhouse Songs coming soon