Deaths / RIP

Started by Levas, April 12, 2013, 09:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

I like to think there's a few people here who rate the music of Harold Budd enough to commemorate his death. Just nice, turn-off-your-brain music for the great many times it's needed.
Shikata ga nai.

absurdexposition

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on December 09, 2020, 12:08:23 PM
Harold Budd

Soundtrack to a long drive on a winter's day.

"Juno", the last track off of The Pavilion of Dreams, had to have been an influence on Howard Shore when composing the soundtrack to David Cronenberg's Crash.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Andrew McIntosh

Fantasy artist Richard Corben died just this month. Some of his stuff was a little too sword-and-sorcery for mine but he had a very unique and somewhat strange style.
Shikata ga nai.

cr

Spectral Burn

David Brownstead/666 Volt Battery Noise.

thetenthousandthings

MF DOOM
I was completing middle school when my best friend at the time introduced me to the newly released MM..FOOD? and the rest is history.
I wasn't lucky enough (yes you older people reading this I'm fucking envious of you) to be born decades prior to witness the origins and expansion of noise & industrial culture, etc.
but I can safely say in retrospect that for someone born in the 90's, DOOM was clearly a huge gateway to obscurity:

-Multiple aliases, some of which you only knew it was him because of the voice, rather than being credited
-The approach to sampling made it clear that non-musical sounds could be repurposed for intrigue, atmosphere, sound collage
-Of course word choices and references to countless things I'd never heard of before

The list goes on and I have a strong feeling I'm not the only one on this board who owes a little or a whole lot to Dumile.

Duncan

Quote from: Neanderthal on January 01, 2021, 12:34:54 AM
MF DOOM
I was completing middle school when my best friend at the time introduced me to the newly released MM..FOOD? and the rest is history.
I wasn't lucky enough (yes you older people reading this I'm fucking envious of you) to be born decades prior to witness the origins and expansion of noise & industrial culture, etc.
but I can safely say in retrospect that for someone born in the 90's, DOOM was clearly a huge gateway to obscurity:

-Multiple aliases, some of which you only knew it was him because of the voice, rather than being credited
-The approach to sampling made it clear that non-musical sounds could be repurposed for intrigue, atmosphere, sound collage
-Of course word choices and references to countless things I'd never heard of before

The list goes on and I have a strong feeling I'm not the only one on this board who owes a little or a whole lot to Dumile.

Just one of the all time greats. No other lyricist quite on his level. R.I.P.

Fistfuck Masonanie

MF Doom passing bummed me out much more than I thought it would to be honest. Operation Doomsday, Vaudeville Villain, and Madvillainy are all game changing albums. For one person to put out SO MUCH quality in their lifetime is so rare. I don't pretend to be some hip-hop enthusiast or expert but his producing and rapping is of such high quality, I think it's going to leave a big hole in the scene. One of the best.

cr

ddmurph

Quote from: Duncan on January 01, 2021, 12:45:30 AM
Quote from: Neanderthal on January 01, 2021, 12:34:54 AM
MF DOOM

Just one of the all time greats. No other lyricist quite on his level. R.I.P.

100% agreed. That run of albums in the early/mid 2000's in particular was incredible ... King Geedorah, Viktor Vaughn, Madvillain, mm..food ... any one of those would cement a legacy. Only Kool Keith, ODB or GZA come close to him in my books.

Blue Gene Tyranny passed a few weeks back also. Worst news.

cantle

David Britton- author of Lord Horror

W.K.

Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

JLIAT

"Music producer Phil Spector - who transformed pop with his "wall of sound" - dies aged 81, while serving a murder sentence"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38922788

Johann

Barry Le Va passed on the 24th....left a great body of work behind him too