Special Interest
August 02, 2021, 06:56:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fight Your Own War: Power Electronics and Noise Culture  (Read 12743 times)
FSR

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2020, 05:56:48 PM »

I really wanted to like this book. The self-congratulatory tone on the early chapters was off-putting, but they were informative, and enjoyable overall. The first part could use some additions though - chapters on Swedish, German and Japanese scenes would be welcome, as well as one about notable projects from other countries. And generally more on UK and US would be great too. After that it went downhill (with occasional ups like the chapter on HNW). The ending however... Oh, boy. First we get someone complaining about lack of humour in pe, then we get a raving feminist spewing 'white man bad' propaganda and complaining she's not as popular as these 'sexist' men. I would really like to have a chapter appreciating women that do good in pe (Pharmakon, Puce Mary, Sewer Goddess, Lana del Rabies) instead of this narcissistic, man-hating rant. Overall, I hope that will not be the last book on the subject, and that the next one will be better.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 12:09:02 PM by FSR » Logged
n a a r a

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2021, 03:42:42 PM »

I have read some articles (not all of them) on this book and I have similar thoughts like the previous user but for different reasons. I think the articles have great variation in them for good and the worst. Some of them are very interesting and well-written, others more like self-centered bragging. Great writing skills and significancy in DIY music scenes don't obviously walk hand in hand. Curating and editing books like this is very hard when working on non-profit setting or something like that and it is not helped by the limited interest of skilled publishers. I really hope more quality literature on noise and PE is on its way.

I recommend this book to readers who share the passion for this kind of music/sound AND are able to put their critical glasses on while reading! If you read it as a handbook/overview to power electronics... no. Just don't do it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: