19.4. @ Ykän Pub, Oulu, Finland - Jaakko Vanhala / The Kolmas / Staer / Rehab

Started by Jaakko V., April 03, 2013, 10:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko V.

19.4. Ykän Pub, Oulu, Finland

Jaakko Vanhala
Dynamic harsh noise from Oulu.

The Kolmas
Minimal electronics from Läjä & Lene of Terveet Kädet fame. "Missing link between Pan Sonic and Suicide"

Rehab
John Hegre and Bjørnar Habbestad are long time collaborators in live-situations around different projects from the N-Collective. Rehab is their preferred vehicle for brutalist noise impro. In live situations they work with a traditional physical approach to noise performance, but in the studio they transform the energy of the moment into layers of rebuilt and recomposed materials. Rehab has put together a rare sound holding subtleties inspired by electro-acoustic music as well as real time musicianship.

John Hegre is half of Jazkammer and the latest addition to Noxagt. His guitar and sound work is heard on numerous releases both solo and in collaboration with Maja Ratkje, Lasse Marhaug, Der Brief, Kaptein Kaliber and others.

Bjørnar Habbestad is a third of Pho, a fourth of Lemur and a founding member of the N-Collective. He performs all over Europe as a soloist and in a wide range of ensembles of contemporary and experimental music.

Staer
After MoHa! and Ultralyd splitting and the low activitity of Noxagt, for the ones whose follow with attention the bands coming from this Norwegian town, Stavanger, defintly it was created a big emptiness around this, so creative and risky in musical terms, musical scene.

But no, it seems that there's a band which will keep on creating good music in the same vein, spirit and good taste as usually, and they are Staer. following the steps of the heaviest Noxagt (when Anders Hana MoHa!/Ultralyd was in the band) which several releases and european tours behind.

Staer played their first gig (with Noxagt) in 2010 in their hometown. they have recorded 2 albums with Jørgen Træen (Ultralyd, Jazkamer etc.) and release their debut in Gaffer records (MoHa!, Les Aus,Horacio Pollard, Offonoff etc.) from France and Discorporate Records (DŸSE, Don Vito etc.) from Germany. Staer have shared stage with artists such as Child Abuse (on a whole 6 weeks European tour), MoHa!, ZU etc. they also have a split 12" with Kjetil Møster (ex-Ultralyd, The Core etc.) in the label of Kjetil D. Brandsdal (Noxagt) Drid Machine Records and they have performed in festivals such as MaiJazz, by:Larm, Novafest etc.

MT

Very nice night! Quite a lot of people were present.

Kolmas was interesting, space-laser-kinda sounds, looping rhythms and synth sounds fading in and out. I guess the draft for this act is that Läjä plays in it. Otherwise pretty standard stuff in its field?

Vanhala blasted a longer set than usually, enjoyed it a lot. Not a lot to say really, I could praise this set for many paragraphs but don't really see the point, pure harsh noise bliss at its finest! Volume was well adjusted, could watch it without earplugs, which is a bonus to me.

Rehab seemed uninteresting to me. One guy had a flute which was mic'ed up with effects and other guy playing guitar with a line of pedals. The set had its moments but in the end it turned out too artsy for my taste, and too soft, especially after Vanhalas set.

Did not stay to see the last act...

Overall I really hope this kind of events will be organized more in the northern regions, gig place was very good imo, PA system was loud enough and so forth!

Jaakko V.

Very nice night! Maybe we'll have more noise in Oulu in the future as well.

Staer was amazing! Hypnotic, pounding noise rock formed of complex drum patterns and abstract "noise riffs" on effected guitar and bass. The drummer guy was truly in flames, playing in a very unique, kind of tense way.

Same stuff from some previous gig but the videos don't really carry the atmosphere that well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgG38hs_NSw

And here too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih5gqjo8Rb8

Jaakko V.

It must be added that during my set two things happened which can be taken as signs of moderate success:

- the pub owner, a long standing music veteran who's seen a lot and "been around" decided to dig up his decibel meter and walked around with it
- apparently all the dogs in the neighbourhood where the pub is located woke up and started howling

Samuli

It was a great pleasure to see this kind of happening in here the northern Finland. Venue was great, atmosphere was great, people were great and all four acts were absolutely great and different compared to each other. This evening showed that this kind of noise gig could be succesful here in north. Some words about the bands:

The Kolmas was the most calmest one. Three guys sitting around the table and making good and hypnotizing sounds. Drinking beer, watching this and sinking to the sound was nice way to start.

Vanhala delivered a pure harsh noise storm. Harsh, diverse and in your face brutal noise blasting what made my adrenaline rising and sweat running. Simply excellent.

Rehab was also very good. Maybe little calmer one but I think that flute (like a noisier version of Ian Andersson...) was absolute brilliant and there was nice interaction between the players.

When Staer started I thought first that "Ok, this is something boring jamming with bass, guitar and drums" but I was totally wrong! Couple of minutes and stuff went to be pretty fucking intense! As mentioned before, the drummer was in flames! With a great talent and aggression! Guitar and bass were making their riffs and the drums were beating the shit out of me! POWERFUL is the right word! Noise rock free jazz at its best! Jätte bra!

pentd

a bit late commentary on these...

the day before this in tampere = ca 5 people attendance as far as i heard

staer = same jazzcore / mathmetal / cut-up noiserock (?i know i know, whatchamacallit?) "family" as MoHa, flying luttenbachers, etc = xlent shit, a rare breed at this level