differences between death industrial and power electronics

Started by jesusfaggotchrist, January 08, 2013, 07:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

I'd always have described the likes of Genocide Organ and Operation Cleansweep as 'power industrial', which I think sums 'em up better.
Was 'power electronics' not a term coined by William Bennett to describe Whitehouse stuff?

whateverforever

Power industrial is about as good as "power drone" and noize.

Tommy Carlsson

FYI, this is Death Industrial.

kkkkkk

nice topic.

all text below - simply some supervision and and attempt to allocate the main 'tendencies' (and my imho,for sure)

power electronics - several 'shools' or whatever:

"like Whitehouse" - screaming distorted vocal with special annoying noises. Simple "rhythm" and structure in tracks.
For example - WH tracks- mindphaser,pro-sexist,pissfun etc. Some Sutcliff Jugend and Ramleh staff. Main theme -perverts,maniacs and sexual violence.

'harsh power electronics' - this is a harsh noise (pedals,computer,feedback as source etc) but with vocal.
Kinda 'like Whitehouse',but sound (noise) more dense. without any 'rhythm' and 'structure'.
Slogun (let me show you how),Bizzare Uproar etc.

"like Dead Tech" - more structured and classic synth sound. Instead 'Whitehouse school' it has 'something' like  'melody','structure' and 'rhytm'.
More politically (not sexual) oriented. for example - Slave State,Dead Tech. probably Genocide Organ -In Konflikt

the main goal of this 'substyles' - aggression. Agressive sound. Hate and violence.

another subgenres is more "atmospheric" - "death industrial"/"post mortem"/"minimal pe"/'power ambient' etc.
the main goal of this sound - estrangement,"pressure" and 'fear forcing'.

MB - "Symphony for a Genocide". it has not pure agression as WH, but the atmosphere smothers and presses

Another 'tendencies' of 'death industrial' -
"Sound without human". Minimal rhythm pulses. For example - first part of Mauthausen Orchestra - 'Bloodyminded'.
'minimal pe' - recitative or distorted voice with only syntheizer. for example -  DDV (A Sound Atlas Of Venereology),etat brut and some Atrax Morgue ('obsession' from closed exit) and many others.
and 'classic' death industrial  - slow (!) looped waves of heavy synth - Lille Roger 'For Life' for example or another BDN staff

power ambient - survival unit (our lives in their hands),ex-order(the law of heresy). this is not so agressive,but atmosperic (sure,again).

and another specific pe/noise tendencies:
Galakthorro sound - special analogue pulses,beeps and wheeps (you know). Haus Arafna,Maska Genetic,Herz Juhning.
trance noise - looped waves of noise or samples. Noizeclot (beyond agony),observation clinique,reductio ad absurdum

power electronics - the main idea - agression,force and irritant
death industrial - main idea - 'atmosphere' forcing.

this is my imho and generally it concerns music 80x and began 90x years.

certainly, many early PE artists (LXSS,Deviation Social,RJF,Le Syndicat,MSR,Con-dom,Grim,TGW etc) consciously use 'various receptions' in the music so these designation are rather conditional.
therefore I can't tell that Grunt (for example) plays only 'harsh power electronics' or 'whitehouse pe'.

this is just a tendencies and my imho.

jesusfaggotchrist

interesting take, I've heard some Brighter Death Now that falls on both the death industrial and/or power electronics side of the equation.

jesusfaggotchrist

Bloated Slutbag

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

jesusfaggotchrist

I need more stuff that falls in the "power ambient" side of things. Ex.Order and Survival Unit are two of my favorites.

Kaaoskultti

Quote from: Tommy Carlsson on January 11, 2013, 10:56:12 AM
The term "death industrial" was coined by Roger Karmanik, to describe his own music, and later on it caught on as some new genre term. If your band's name is Brighter Death Now, and most of your tracks are called Death this or that, of course the music should be called death industrial. It's amusing and confusing that people take this little word-play so seriously.

I don't think it's confusing. As descrbed above, genres tend to evolve beyond the original sound of its pioneers. But the PE vs DI question is interesting because those are genres that frequently overlap, and if one listens to extensive albums such as SJ's Relentless or modern Prurient, there is enough for room for songs that sound one way or the other (that is, some are pe-ish, others di-ish).

Heavy Metal was initially use to describe the harsh, loud sounds of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Steppenwolf. Nowadays, the term is used to describe traditional sounding bands in the vein of NWOBHM, Maiden, Accept etc. One could note vast differences listening to early Whitehouse and then Bizarre Uproar, but they're "Power Electronics". I think that's the way it is.
ZOB ZYGGLAN - Brazilian Power Electronics - https://zobzygglan.bandcamp.com/album/zob-zygglan