DARK AMBIENT

Started by bogskaggmannen, March 29, 2010, 10:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catharticprocess

I can't remember any labels or artists off the top of my head, but it seems like if you take ALL of them together, 9 in 10 of them have cover art that could be substituted in either direction with Suicide Commando or Wumpscut.  As soon as I see obvious newbie Photoshop design, using all the layer effects and filters, clean fonts, lots of color, über-cheesed out imagery, etc., I immediately think it's rivethead shit, and I'm out on it.  I'd say the same about more than half of the PE stuff I've seen.  It's all cheese dick shit to me.  Name the label, or artist, and if they're well known and from Europe, I'd say this description fits in more than half the cases.  Think of how many of the aesthetics are even more Metropolis Records than even Ant-Zen.  Welding goggles and moon boots, I tell ya!

FreakAnimalFinland

Never been into gothic scene. Never owned Metropolis stuff or wumpscut or suicide commando. I have vague idea what it means, but I don't see it. As examples, I did give names of most of "dark ambient" related labels I know of. You could add Autarkeia. Perhaps even Slaughter. Perhaps few more. I guess that makes it 10 labels. So 9 of them should be them wumpscut aesthetic? It seems as accurate as call Cathartic Process releases such. You know. Clean fonts, digipaks. Neat black-on-black 5xCD boxes. Isn't that as goth-industrial as any of above mentioned, hah?

But yeah, the effects & filters etc. I guess it has been true with some of the labels of ANY genre, when all the amateurs got access to photoshop.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bogskaggmannen

I can see where Ben is getting at but I think the percentage maybe is a little overrated. Of course there exist horrible covers, but this is in no way only applying to central European labels. However, this should not be the evolution of this topic. I have not really deepened myself into the topic of Aural Hypnox but I think now is the time.

FreakAnimalFinland

Aural Hypnox is perhaps good example on more "innovative" approach. Also for design. They have no jewelbox editions. And even when some of editions seem to be relative big (1000x), still they put time and effort to make unconventional solutions. I would assume self designed types of packaging, with inserts, special card-stock and so on. Not to mention very neat graphic design.

They play live quite often. It's unfortunate that I have missed most of their live shows in Finland. Probably seen any of related groups merely twice during the years!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Plague Haus

Quote from: catharticprocess on March 29, 2010, 09:53:11 PM
I think the Aural Hypnox bands have released consistently great material.

Aye! I picked up Halo Manash "Taiwaskivi" CD/DVD combo and the Arktau Eos "Ai Ma Ra" double disc set recently. Both are completely amazing.

catharticprocess

Sure I'm exaggerating.  I guess I could say I'm exaggerating to prove a point, but maybe I'm just being an asshole.  I'm just talking about my own experience and what goes through my head when I see most dark ambient releases - even those in my own collection.  Just go to the Tesco or Tesco USA site, go to "genre" on the menu and pick "dark ambient."  Scrolling through the pages, almost all the cover art is total dog shit (and not just stylistically, it's just plain bad design).

Anyway... Let's talk about who's doing it well.  And, yes, let's talk about the old stuff, too.  I wouldn't call Jarl "dark ambient," but the recent "Vertigo Emission" is one of my favorites from him.  Glad to see he still has it.  The Z'ev/Herbst9 collaboration is amazing as well, but has TERRIBLE design.  Any fans of old Schloss Tegal?  I really like their old stuff, very much.  I would highly recommend the Dieter Müh / MNEM collab, "Atomyriades" CD (or CDr?) on Cipher Productions - very quality material there.

-Ben

BARRIKAD

One label who did well in this area was Soulworm, nice covers and good music.

murderous_vision

Inade of old, new Inade... to me it is all god-like. Dark Ambient is no different than any other genre, some stellar stuff and some bland stuff. As a whole, a very enjoyable style to me.

Bloated Slutbag

The only thing I like about this thread is that the name Ain Soph has been dropped a few times. Very nice to see. To whom do we credit this renewed recognition? Where darkambient meets ritualwhorecore meets excremeditation meets C93 worship meets plinkity plonk meets cheeseball crowleyian spoken word meets stoner gaybearddrone meets redzoned noisefilthification meets your Savaged Mother in an atrocious skankhole of raped doggysnuff? Shit's mad ill.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Troum / AsiaNova / Voice of Eye - Actualization CD live collaboration

This isn't necessarily dark, but it certainly is not light.  As I've come to expect, this is rich in texture and has a full-on psychotropic effect.  If floating isn't something you seek, I still believe one would enjoy this album because of its great success at creating such a sensation.  At the same time, it doesn't relieve the audience of tension and gravity.  When something is done this well, though maybe not normally in your wheelhouse, it's difficult to not find a great appreciation for it nonetheless.  The first track is 26 minutes and truly is impressive.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

A little Organum talk...

Amen struck me in a similar way to Harmoniumwerk by Nitsch:  not quite there, a bit shallow in texture, and superficially angelic.  The repetitive vocals change the entire soundscape, causing it to be on the tedious side.  It isn't the subject matter, or even word, only that it does nothing to add to the character of the album.  Maybe that was the point, that religious matters don't add character to life.  I don't know.  One of the least impressive Jackman works in my memory.

Sorow, though ambient and not noisy, takes Jackman back to the incredibly rich, deep-imaging, gorgeous timbres and textures of Desola.  A labyrinth in which to get lost.  This is the kind of work that benefits extraordinarily from a good stereo system.  The type of sonics that will fill every molecule of air and every recess of a room.  It's not suffocating.  It's not airy.  It's plush, full, majestic, and a true resonator.  One of those albums that leaves me with the great confusion of what to play next..."nothing" is the answer...because there isn't much out there that can follow such skilled work and leave me as satisfied.  My only complaint is that in the peaks of the swells, it sounds like a bad burn; a digital glitch/clicking type sound.  It's throughout the disc.  At times, its easy to ignore, but it's always there to irritate.  Unfortunate, to say the least.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

P-K

a 2xcd hammer of deep occult ritual....

catharticprocess

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 07, 2010, 11:03:02 PM
A little Organum talk...

Sorow, though ambient and not noisy, takes Jackman back to the incredibly rich, deep-imaging, gorgeous timbres and textures of Desola.  A labyrinth in which to get lost.  This is the kind of work that benefits extraordinarily from a good stereo system.  The type of sonics that will fill every molecule of air and every recess of a room.  It's not suffocating.  It's not airy.  It's plush, full, majestic, and a true resonator.  One of those albums that leaves me with the great confusion of what to play next..."nothing" is the answer...because there isn't much out there that can follow such skilled work and leave me as satisfied.  My only complaint is that in the peaks of the swells, it sounds like a bad burn; a digital glitch/clicking type sound.  It's throughout the disc.  At times, its easy to ignore, but it's always there to irritate.  Unfortunate, to say the least.

Glad to hear this from a discerning listener. I am a HUGE Organum/Jackman fan, but was skeptical about Sorrow. I'll have to pick up a copy.

Zeno Marx

Being a great lover and supporter of Voice of Eye, I find their decision to "re-release" Transmigration as MP3s to be a really poor one.  An all-time classic deserves the full treatment.  So much lost.  Too much lost.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

icepick method

Speaking of rivitshit, the anti-ambient sentiment goes back to atleast the early/mid 90's...

Industrial-noise zine archive http://shock-corridor.blogspot.com