Sampling

Started by tiny_tove, September 19, 2012, 11:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny_tove

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on November 12, 2014, 11:45:04 AM
Quote from: tiny_tove on November 12, 2014, 09:44:58 AM
I have seen demo of the volca sampler and I am disappointed. there is no input and samples are imported via ios application...

Fuck that. They were doing really well with that series, too. The trouble with marketing such machines towards a particular market is that basic common sense often ceases to exist.

I think they don't want to undermine too much the elektribe sample... although they would have two different target users...
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Jaakko V.

Quote from: fin de siècle on November 12, 2014, 12:06:54 PM
i have always been watching out for a sampler with the possibility to fade in/out single tracks, but obviously doesn`t exist ... seems to me like an absolute essential funtionality?!?!?

You mean controlling the volume of single samples/loops? I think this is a standard in most samplers.. What piece do you have atm?

fin de siècle

Quote from: Salamanauhat on November 12, 2014, 03:21:54 PM
i have always been watching out for a sampler with the possibility to fade in/out single tracks, but obviously doesn`t exist ... seems to me like an absolute essential funtionality?!?!?

You mean controlling the volume of single samples/loops? I think this is a standard in most samplers.. What piece do you have atm?

Yes, I mean controlling the volume of 2 or more tracks at the same time ... I don`t have a sampler myself, but would like to have such.

Jaakko V.

Quote from: fin de siècle on November 12, 2014, 04:30:27 PM
Quote from: Salamanauhat on November 12, 2014, 03:21:54 PM

Yes, I mean controlling the volume of 2 or more tracks at the same time ... I don`t have a sampler myself, but would like to have such.

Depends of the sampler, but if you can assign midi functions to each sample, you can control their volumes with a separate midi controller. Just assign certain command to certain samples' volume values. If they all respond to the same command, it's one knob for several samples, or if you decide to assign individual control knobs for each sample, it's different. Not sure if the cheapest samplers have this but at least normal studio hardware samplers should have this. A3000 for example, hehe.

Levas

Since a few loopers hopped in this thread, any thoughts about "Akai Professional E2 HEAD RUSH"? What's good/bad about it? I know that MAAAA used it, but not much more.

tiny_tove

got the volca sample. it is good, but the fact you cannot record directly through it is stupid and an hassle.
apparently there should be some hacks in that direction.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Jaakko V.

The new Korg Electribe Sampler seems rather interesting. I think I'll get it for testing. The memory capacity is somewhat limited but probably good for sequences etc. anyway.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Looks good but as always this machine lacks seperate outputs. Do none of these gear manufacturers understand the importance of that?

Back to the Volca discussion. What I saw and heard of the Volca Sample in demos looked and sounded like an abomination. I'll be selling my 3 Volca's soon. They're good but I have no use for them.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Coma Detox

Never really used any samplers or loops for Coma Detox, but I've bee using a Roland MS-1 sampler quite a bit for Disgusting Sanctum material.  Compared to newer samplers it's a piece of garbage but works fine for what I need it for.  Recently picked up a sandisk 32mb card after about 12+ years of owning the MS-1.  It's pretty limited but can turn loops and samples into some nasty sounds.

l.b.

without a memory card you can have eight 4-second samples on the SP202 if you're recording in 'hi-fi' mode. you can play back four at a time depending on length of the sample and what, if any, on-board effects are active. i've never really used the boss RC-2 (or the bigger one) so i can't comment on that, but if you do all your sampling beforehand using the SP202 live is pretty intuitive.

with the setup you described, it sounds like you're using two mixers? you could save space by running an aux send from your mixer into your effects chain so you can dial in signals from different mixer channels into the same effects.