Controlled Bleeding's noisier material

Started by jesusfaggotchrist, August 18, 2012, 01:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesusfaggotchrist

aside from Knees & Bones, whats some tapes/CDs/LPs of them that showcases their noisier, less ambient sound. I'm looking for recommendations and general discussion of this NYC outfit.

Andrew McIntosh

Shikata ga nai.

audiodissection

Bladder Bags And Interludes CD
Plegm Bag Spattered CD
Distress Signals C60
Curd LP
Body Samples LP
Gibbering-Canker 5xCD
Shanked And Slittering CD
Headcrack LP
Hoog Floor LP
Songs From A Sewer Of Dreams 4xLP

With these you can't go wrong...

HongKongGoolagong

I remember getting such a shock when I bought one of their WaxTrax era 12"ers in a bargain bin during the early 90s - all I knew about them at the time was the harsh noise stuff on Broken Flag but that single was some kind of I don't know what, prog and opera-influenced electronics?

They seem a very strange and genuine project who followed their own path not giving a fuck if people liked it or kept up or not.

tinnitustimulus

"You know Paul, you're being a real clown, I HAVE A TEST TOMORROW, YOU DON'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK..."

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: audiodissection on August 18, 2012, 03:25:12 PM
Plegm Bag Spattered CD

That is my favorite. It's 100x better than Shanked And Slithering. Simply because the 1990 "lets make this old great noise recording loud and distorted" often has much better results than same idea in mid 2000's.  Shanked And Slithering is great in composition itself, but overall sound is extremely flat compared to Plegm Bag Spattered.

In discogs you can currently shop copies in price range from 4 euro to 77 usd. I suggest anyone to grab copies that are less than 20 euro. It will be worth of money!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

JEH

Goat93

bitewerksMTB

Did anyone know about the CB reissue tapes on a Brooklyn label called Obsolute Unit? "Knees & Bones" is sold out and "Body Samples" is currently available.

"Plegm Bag Spattered" is a terrible title but one I remember wanting to order but never got around to it for whatever reason.

audiodissection

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 19, 2012, 07:34:46 PM
Did anyone know about the CB reissue tapes on a Brooklyn label called Obsolute Unit? "Knees & Bones" is sold out and "Body Samples" is currently available.

"Plegm Bag Spattered" is a terrible title but one I remember wanting to order but never got around to it for whatever reason.

i got both. They sound great.

tinnitustimulus

did they ever reissue Shitslipper? I remember Paul saying on myspace that he got the masters of those out to be rereleased and totally had no memory of recording the material. It's an odd one but still very much in the classic harsh noise realm.

audiodissection

Quote from: tinnitustimulus on August 20, 2012, 04:00:53 AM
did they ever reissue Shitslipper? I remember Paul saying on myspace that he got the masters of those out to be rereleased and totally had no memory of recording the material. It's an odd one but still very much in the classic harsh noise realm.

Yes. It appears on the CD4 of the boxset. CD5 has unreleased material taken from the Shitslipper sessions..

Bloated Slutbag

It's all about the Knees & Bones.

For the longest time I suspected that the brief K&B "1983" feedback-wank session represented CB's only legitimate foray into genuinely harsh noise. The following were then to be regarded as re-presentation / re-mastering / re-mixing of the same material:

Knees & Bones
Plegm Bag Spattered
Bladder Bags and Interludes (most of it)
Shanked and Slithering (the two long tracks)

This suspicion was briefly halted when CB released Bladder Bags and Interludes (Vanilla, JPN) on the heels of their submission to the World Record compilation (Alchemy, JPN). The liners for both described the material as representing "all new" harsh noise work from "1991". (Quoth Mikawa in the latter, "This work, 'Shoving Stump,' is, according to them, their first noise work since 1984." [emphasis added. Could Mikawa have harbored his own suspicions?]) Suspicions were nevertheless raised anew upon perusing the material and finding it to share more than few cubits of air with Plegm Bag Spattered – itself supposedly consisting of "out-takes" from Knees & Bones. Not to mention the fact that one of the "all new" "1991" tracks on Bladder Bags is described as a remix of Knees & Bones, but sounds no different from any of the other "all new" "1991" material... anyone following me?

None of this mattered much since Bladder Bags, in conjunction with the World Record submission, "Shoving Stump", was – and still is – by far and away the best harsh work CB have ever released. The sound pressure is just that much more forceful; and where Plegm Bag tends to devolve a little bit overmuch into aimless wankery, Bladder Bags is simply full on all the way through. Parts sound like some kind of ultra-slow-death swans-punk-pounding enveloped by masses of scorching hell. Other parts divest themselves of any lingering note of musicality and leave the aural passages with the scorching hell. Plus the mastering really emphasizes the brutality of the sound. "Shoving Stump" is practically onomatopoeic in its thud-flubbering scud-huffery.

Then Shanked and Slithering comes out and the liner notes this time describe the Bladder Bags material as having been recorded in "1986". Geesh. Shanked and Slithering commits the mortal sin of indexing the first four short tracks off Bladder Bags into one fat one, and then just arbitrarily snipping five minutes off the end of the fourth track. The mastering is indeed shite but enjoyable for all that. Much as I appreciate the heaving dynamism on Bladder Bags, Shanked is just that bit harsher. And in any case is worth having for two things: the awesome "Dry Lung"("2004"), which at times approaches the psychedelic intensity of a live Incapacitants set; and "Swallowing No 5 (Power Mix)", a wonderfully dense concoction apparently recorded in "1985".

My favorite "harsh" CB moment, however, appears on the otherwise hit-and-miss Body Samples. Haven't listened to it for ages, but the memory is crystal clear. Somewhere in the middle of the recording, this lovely lilting bit of glittering ambience is rudely interrupted with a dose of CB at their very harshest, a drilling redzone scorcher that wouldn't sound out of place on a 90's Incapacitants album.

EDIT But the recent 5-disc box is the easy value-added winner, Shitslipper or no.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

jesusfaggotchrist

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 19, 2012, 07:34:46 PM

You're kidding, that's a great title

icepick method

Ok now someone do a rundown of all the Swallowing Scrap Metal parts.
Industrial-noise zine archive http://shock-corridor.blogspot.com