Prog(kraut/zeuhl/rio)

Started by jesusfaggotchrist, August 13, 2012, 12:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acsenger

Lately I've really got into Van Der Graaf Generator. Apparently many prog rock fans don't like them, and although I'm no prog rock expert, they do have a different (often darker) atmosphere than pretty much all other bands I know. I'm currently listening to their Godbluff album, which is insanely good. My other favourite by them is The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other, but almost all of their "classic" albums are excellent. Will listen to their post-reunion albums soon, and then Peter Hammill's solo albums as well (there should be real gems there too from what I know).

holy ghost

HUGE VDGG fan here - I went on a huge bender for The Least We Can Do lately - I used to think H To He and Pawn Hearts were their finest work but TLWCDIWTEO is so full of amazing songs. Godbluff is great as is Still Life. Peter H solo albums I'm never as into as VDGG.

Currently I've been huge into Diagonal - I loved that first S/T LP when it came out of Rise Above - and I've been revisiting it a lot lately. Didn't click with the second album but wanting to give it another shot. And I hear they just released a new LP.

The other newer prog band I picked up a record from was Hällas - I think they're Danish? Really Uriah Heep esque vibes happening. Maybe a bit too mellow for me all the time but they hit a solid groove on a lot of those tunes.

Saw King Crimson last month on the 50th anniversary tour. What an amazing experience. Tony Levin fuckin' slaps so hard.

host body

Quote from: acsenger on October 16, 2019, 05:46:39 PM
Lately I've really got into Van Der Graaf Generator. Apparently many prog rock fans don't like them, and although I'm no prog rock expert, they do have a different (often darker) atmosphere than pretty much all other bands I know. I'm currently listening to their Godbluff album, which is insanely good. My other favourite by them is The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other, but almost all of their "classic" albums are excellent. Will listen to their post-reunion albums soon, and then Peter Hammill's solo albums as well (there should be real gems there too from what I know).

I'm seeing them live next year, really looking forward to it. King Crimson a few years ago was phenomenal.

Zeno Marx

https://kaleidobolt.bandcamp.com/album/this-one-simple-trick

Kaleidobolt - This One Simple Trick 2022

With each listen, I get more and more into this album.  It's hard rock.  It's cocaine prog, ala Golden Earring.  It's cheesy and accessible.  It's really well done prog.  There is a hardcore and metal drummer in here too (Foreseen, Yleiset Syyt...the guy is busy).  It's on Svart Records, so that would make sense.  Had I heard it sooner, it would have been on my best of 2022 list.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

aububs