GUITAR NOISE

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, March 18, 2010, 09:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tisbor

Quote from: Zeno Marx on March 19, 2010, 05:21:09 PM
Quote from: tisbor on March 18, 2010, 08:56:15 PM
I've seen Li Jianhong two or three times live with guitar , solo and coupled with others .
How was the LP on Tipped Bowler Tapes?  The San Sheng Shi album had a nice build to it, so it made me curious, yet cautious, about hearing other material.

i don't have the lp but i can recommend all Li Jianhong cds on his own label 2pi Records.
the older ones are pretty different from San Sheng Shi , less psychedelic .
his band D!O!D!O!D!O!D! (guitar + drums duo) is great too , get their cd Ghost Temple on either PSF or 2pi .

latest Wold is nice , i should listen to it a couple more times .

Balor/SS1535

I know this is an old thread, so I hope it is all right for me to resurrect it.  The concept of guitar noise is something that I find really interesting.  I have played the guitar for a long time, and have been wanting to explore some more experimental sides of the instrument.

I assume that feedback from a guitar into an amp would count, and that has been fun to mess with.  I have also seen some people put various objects through the strings to pin them together, stretch them and so forth.  I really like the sound of a pick put through the lower strings - tapping it sounds like a gong!

Are there any new noise projects that make good use of a guitar?  Any suggestions for new things to try?

Atrophist

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on June 09, 2020, 02:17:13 AM
I know this is an old thread, so I hope it is all right for me to resurrect it.  The concept of guitar noise is something that I find really interesting.  I have played the guitar for a long time, and have been wanting to explore some more experimental sides of the instrument.

I assume that feedback from a guitar into an amp would count, and that has been fun to mess with.  I have also seen some people put various objects through the strings to pin them together, stretch them and so forth.  I really like the sound of a pick put through the lower strings - tapping it sounds like a gong!

Are there any new noise projects that make good use of a guitar?  Any suggestions for new things to try?

Guitar noise isn't something I myself have looked into in any great lenght. I've listened to the Wolf Eyes a bit here and there, tho. If you get past the somewhat histrionic vocals, you'll be presented with an oeuvre that is at best hypnotic. But unfortunately also pretty ridiculous at its worst.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Atrophist on June 09, 2020, 02:59:27 AM

Guitar noise isn't something I myself have looked into in any great lenght. I've listened to the Wolf Eyes a bit here and there, tho. If you get past the somewhat histrionic vocals, you'll be presented with an oeuvre that is at best hypnotic. But unfortunately also pretty ridiculous at its worst.

Thanks, I will check them out.  Any particular release of their's that you would recommend starting with?

holy ghost

Borbetomagus and Hijokaidan instantly jump to mind. Not new of course. Definitely following along if there any responses.

The Topography of the Lungs is my top 10 free jazz/improv records and Derek Bailey's playing on it is out of this world. Not noise, but definitely amazing work!

The first Kevin Drumm is a great tabletop guitar record. The LP reissue is incredible and really sounds great. It also looks incredible! I know he dabbled in a lot of different approaches but that will always be my fav Drumm record.

Look I'm gonna make a shameless plug here - I just released a tape of noise all made with 6 string bass guitar, EQ and distortion effects. You can hear it here if you're at all interested.

https://perpetualcycle.bandcamp.com/

Atrophist

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on June 09, 2020, 03:17:59 AM]

Thanks, I will check them out.  Any particular release of their's that you would recommend starting with?

They have tons of cassette and cd-r releases which might not be easy to find. Full-lenght albums on Sub Pop like "Burned Mind" and "Human Animal" might be a good starting point, and there's plenty more to check out if you decide you're interested.

Atrophist

holy ghost

Body/Head with Kim Gordon and Bill Nace are pretty great. I like their records, particularly the early stuff on Open Mouth & Feeding Tube but their Sub Pop records are pretty cool too. I saw them live last year and it was really amazing.

Also a fan of "4 Gentleman of the Guitar" with Keith Rowe and others:

https://www.discogs.com/4g-Cloud/release/525595

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: holy ghost on June 09, 2020, 03:19:17 AM

Borbetomagus and Hijokaidan instantly jump to mind. Not new of course. Definitely following along if there any responses.

The Topography of the Lungs is my top 10 free jazz/improv records and Derek Bailey's playing on it is out of this world. Not noise, but definitely amazing work!

The first Kevin Drumm is a great tabletop guitar record. The LP reissue is incredible and really sounds great. It also looks incredible! I know he dabbled in a lot of different approaches but that will always be my fav Drumm record.

Look I'm gonna make a shameless plug here - I just released a tape of noise all made with 6 string bass guitar, EQ and distortion effects. You can hear it here if you're at all interested.

Cool!  Some really nice tones on your release.

THE RITA HN

BigBrowneye

Obstacle corpse is amazing harsh guitar https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qG37OBJk86o

Zeno Marx

How familiar with the 60s are you?  And if not, do you have any interest?  The Velvet Underground got real noisy and dissonant in their live performances.  The Grateful Dead had a section of shows later referred to as Feedback, which eventually morphed into Drums>Space.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

JLIAT

As did these two...

Unfinished Music No. 2: Life with the Lions Cambridge 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtdDU1tdoFU

John Lennon & Yoko Ono

holy ghost

St. Francis Duo with Stephen O'Malley and Steve Noble has some really interesting experimental guitar work happening. Regardless of how you (might) feel about Sunn O))) he does some really great work with other people. There are three albums (and an incredible live set floating around the blogs) that are all great.

Another one in that realm is Bill Orcutt and Chris Corsano "The Raw & The Cooked" LP from 2013. I really liked that one, they did a follow up called Brace Up which I didn't like as much but maybe I need to revisit. That being said, it should go without saying that Harry Pussy might be something to consider if you haven't?

Not "guitar" per say but Okkyung Lee's album "Ghil" with her on cello is pretty frickin' badass.

holy ghost

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on June 09, 2020, 05:34:09 AM
Quote from: holy ghost on June 09, 2020, 03:19:17 AM.

Cool!  Some really nice tones on your release.

Thank you! Much appreciated.