Skin Crime

Started by Azoikum, June 18, 2012, 01:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PedestrianOrgans

I'm surprised there's not more thoughts on Phocomelus, personally I love all of what I've heard of that project.

Best Skin Crime obviously "King of the Deathmatch"

MyrtleLake

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 23, 2018, 04:13:12 PM
Skin Crime X Wilt. "The Horror of Fang Rock" 12" w/ CD:
Hmm.. what type of digital artifacts?
If cut down to 60 minutes in total, I feel this 40 mins LP + 74 mins CD would probably have much better impact.

The CD was bought brand new and looked perfect: no scratches, no smudges, no fingerprints. After your reply, I meticulously washed and cleaned it anyway.  Problem solved.  Weird.  It was skipping at a few specific points is a better way to describe it.  Must have been something on there I couldn't readily see.

I can agree that the length of the full release is over-the-top. Even though the first two CD tracks are suspiciously 19:52 each, they differ from the LP.  The release is 2 hours of original compositions.  It could easily be split into three full length albums of ~40 min each:  (1) LP (2) First two tracks on CD (3) Remaining tracks on CD. Breaking it up that way as a listener is useful, I might suggest.

MyrtleLake

Phocomelus
An idiosyncratic perspective on the entire project...
Higher pitched squealing: hi-hats keeping it moving.
Middle range squawk: energetic, impassioned guitar solo à la Hendrix.
Lower range thumping: heavy metal, doom-laden guitar... sped up.
Bottom rumble: highly distorted, fuzz box bass guitar rhythm.
This is a sound for metal-heads, headbangers and groove junkies. There is no direct correlation in instrumentation; this is harsh noise through and through. The energy, spirit and groove justifies the metaphor. Every Phocomelus release follows the above wig out formula. Some of them really grab me. Others feel more sterile. It's a personal thing, impossible to explain. The tone and compositional aspect of the various albums deviate next to none. The result is original in the spectrum of harsh noise. Each track is a highly complex, tight, focused composition with multiple, detailed elements to focus on with each listen.  While that may be the case for many noise artists, Phocomelus manages to sound entirely different.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: acsenger on February 18, 2018, 10:46:38 AM
Any impressions about the new CD, Ghosts I Have Been?
I like this period (is it a period?) of Skin Crime A LOT.  Eerie, organic industrialism with a shit-ton of ambiance.  There are times when it sounds like Hands To/Jeph Jerman is providing the source material, and that type of association can't be a bad thing in my opinion.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

SiClark

I really love the latest Skin Crime albums but I currently going through the boxed set again and the harshness of the ones I have I listened to so far is beautiful but I listen to the Ghosts... and House on the Cliff the most. Two recent tapes are goddamn lovely as well.

20xCD box is available digitally now for anyone who is interested -

https://hospitalproductions.bandcamp.com/album/case-studies-in-early-taxidermy-techniques

pentd

i hope one day emerges a graphic novel / mega comic book following the meanderings of anal speciman

skin crime's interesting material seems to be in the less noisier and more concrete works, i enjoy the "what are they building in there?!?!" element most

Eigen Bast

Anyone have the Legacy of Blood tape released at the Hospital showcase? Hoping it will eventually be available for order.

absurdexposition

Sold out at the fest but Patrick will be making more copies.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

DSOL

Quote from: absurdexposition on July 02, 2019, 11:38:59 PM

good to know
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

PedestrianOrgans

Quote from: absurdexposition on July 02, 2019, 11:38:59 PM

I got a copy from Pat directly and yeah, he said he's working on getting them up on Discogs.

It's a fantastic tape though, very in line with the "House On the Cliff" and "Ghosts I Have Been". Slooooowly creeping sounds that never quite reach the intensity of older Skin Crime material. What he gives up in sheer harshness though, he makes up for with eerie programmaticism and a beautiful clarity of the layerings and sounds involved. If you like either of those previous releases this one will really really impress you, I think.

bitewerksMTB

I ordered a copy from Patrick. I think he said there's another SC tape coming soon or it may actually be ready but it wasn't in time for the L.A. performance.

bitewerksMTB

Good news on the LP & I know there is a tape or two coming that he's waiting on to go into production (along with Mania "Hardly Lethal") plus another title.

MyrtleLake

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 08, 2019, 04:24:29 AM
Good news on the LP...

Am I to understand that Traveller on the Road is to be a vinyl release? There seems to be no indication of that on the Hospital website or Bandcamp page.

totalblack

Quote from: MyrtleLake on November 09, 2019, 07:08:41 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 08, 2019, 04:24:29 AM
Good news on the LP...

Am I to understand that Traveller on the Road is to be a vinyl release? There seems to be no indication of that on the Hospital website or Bandcamp page.

It's only available through Boomkat. I've got a box of copies on the way now which will be less expensive internationally than ordering from them.

Samples sound really good, looking forward to playing the whole thing. The last few tapes have been great