Bastard Noise

Started by jangbi08, June 10, 2012, 07:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikerdeath

I listened to this the other day, the electronics portions were really refreshing to hear. A seminal piece in a very large puzzle.

Galactic Plagve

Quote from: Mikerdeath on March 19, 2018, 07:22:44 AM

I listened to this the other day, the electronics portions were really refreshing to hear. A seminal piece in a very large puzzle.

Which release is this from? Don't think I've seen that before.

Zeno Marx

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Scat-O-Logy

Bad Apple, what a great track! Something Death Squad could make as well...

FreakAnimalFinland

Sources-Of-Power-From-Another-World LP used to be fairly easy to get over here. Simply as two finnish bands in that era, probably sold it to many punks etc, who wasn't really that much into noise. I have two versions of this. One with multiple color printed covers, another with silver foil type embossed print. Due personal importance not going to get rid of either version. Silver one I found in regular 2nd hand music store many years ago. Each band on this LP is really good.

Latest scores of BN arrived on mail yesterday:

BASTARD NOISE + CONSCIOUS SUMMARY "Peace lies elsewhere" 7"
Two tracks on this collaboration, Funerals for fetuses / The Space ark. Both good. Both rather carefully composed to be side long pieces with clear structure using elements of humming ambience, Wood's trademark vocals, and oscillating electronic noise from bastard engines. While tracks themselves are good, my complaint is the over-use of that one same oscillator box he uses on pretty much everything for years. And how it is used, is randomly yanking bursts of noises out of it. It's unlike almost anyone else does, but in context of BN, it repeats so many times, I'd rather hear it being used focused for specific sound, that doing the same trick in so many songs. Good 7", nevertheless.

BASTARD NOISE + ANTENNACLE collaboration 7"
This is way better of the two new ones. Simply for just mentioned reasons. Songs have focus in specific sounds that do not appear random yanking on buttons to created bursts, but there is basically 4 layers of sound, each very distinctive. Humming background, looped rhythm, high pitched electronics and processed spoken samples. While structure is simple, each layer drifts and modulates.
Same for b-side. No spoken pieces there, but well done tracks where each sound makers noises contribute to wholeness greatly. Same odd rhythm sound repeats here and there through entire 7", but not without some pauses and changes. This is some kind of memorial 7" for guy called Rick Gribenas, who was in Antennacle. 7" comes with insert where Wood + remaining Antennacle member tell their memories of Gribenas.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

I've been very slowly and sporadically revisiting (possibly, to be honest, visiting for the first time with focus) the Our Earth's Blood 5CD.  There's some great stuff on there.  Wood and Clew of Theseus worked well together.  More could have come out of that collaboration; even a whole other solid slew of releases under a new name.  CD1's 2nd and 5th tracks were highlights.  CD2's 3rd track was standout, but as a whole, this disc was underwhelming in comparison to CD1.  CD3's 4th track was the highlight, but the disc was decent overall.  CD4's 3rd and 4th tracks were good hitters; the 4th track being a collaboration with Merzbow that worked better than I expected.  CD5 might have been the best disc, with tracks 2-4 all being really good.  Track 2 might be the best thing I've heard from Wood + Guilty Connector, but that is nothing I could swear by without going back to whatever else they've released (two other discs?).  The final track of the set, track 4 with Rick Gribenas + Bizarre Uproar, was a great way to close the box.

I can understand why this box is a difficult thing to swallow or with which to find real enthusiasm.  It's unique; a massive collection of unreleased collaborations.  I wonder how much editing went into this.  Was it entirely up to Wood?  Or how much did Cathartic Process have to do with it?  I would think such editing could very easily put artist and label at odds (not saying they were at odds) because of how much was at stake.  The story behind this thing could be interesting.  Personally, I think the box is definitely worth hearing.  There's a lot going on here that is valuable if you're a Bastard Noise fan.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Have been off the BN purchasing for a while, I've missed a few 7" records but seems like his output has really slowed down - as well as the Deep 6 reissues that we're happening for a while. I hit up Rogue Astronaut, Live In Japan CD today and I'll probably do a few others. There's a few LPs I probably haven't even heard and some like "The Hoak Sessions" I hardly remember. The output is so massive sometimes it gets lost in the shuffle.

Rogue Astronaut is definitely worthy of the praise it gets. I'll have to go back and revisit - there's a 10" in my collection I absolutely do not remember buying and a few others that need some TLC.

absurdexposition

Rogue Astronaut is absolute peak BN. Everything since has felt derivative.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

PuddysJacket

Quote from: Galactic Plagve on March 21, 2018, 01:37:01 AM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on March 20, 2018, 07:36:10 PM
That's from the triple split

https://www.discogs.com/Unseen-Noise-Death-MITB-Bastard-Noise-Bizarre-Uproar-Sources-Of-Power-From-Another-World/release/1429955

Ah... turns out I have a rip of this; one of the few BN releases I don't own.

with all the socially conscious whining BN do, I've always wondered if they regret doing that split w BU.

yosef666

Quote from: PuddysJacket on October 06, 2019, 07:16:38 PM

https://www.discogs.com/Unseen-Noise-Death-MITB-Bastard-Noise-Bizarre-Uproar-Sources-Of-Power-From-Another-World/release/1429955

with all the socially conscious whining BN do, I've always wondered if they regret doing that split w BU.
Blah blah blah blah. Eric played with BU and Grunt year before last in Europe & still keeps up with the Finnish sounds. Newsflash: people with differing ideas can maintain contacts, friendship & respect. Don't talk shit about what you don't know.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: yosef666 on October 07, 2019, 08:11:49 PM
Quote from: PuddysJacket on October 06, 2019, 07:16:38 PM

Blah blah blah blah. Eric played with BU and Grunt year before last in Europe & still keeps up with the Finnish sounds. Newsflash: people with differing ideas can maintain contacts, friendship & respect. Don't talk shit about what you don't know.

Finally, a voice of reason.

BN are huge influence for me. First noise I heard as a child.

FreakAnimalFinland

There has never been "issues" between any Finnish bands & BN. Eric always showed interests and support. Perhaps his attitude can be displayed in one CD published by Freak Animal 20 years ago: Bastard Noise ‎– Bastard Noise Hails The Finnish Sound Masters / The Symptoms Of A Failing Equilibrium.

His appreciation to Finnish noise has been long lasting and constant. This CD is something I have though could probably require repress. I may be biased, but I also do have ears, so I can conclude that back in late 90's, when supreme Bastard Noise sound was combined with handful of Finnish artists at the time, it added extra level of sound that isn't typically BN, contributed it to be more. In some cases I feel contributors make BN less. As a album this was not just another collaboration, but one of the very first. Perhaps that was reason for enthusiasm and creativity reeking from it? I recall there was collab with MSBR and Namanax/wis that came out before.

https://youtu.be/XItjO7K90A8
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: yosef666 on October 07, 2019, 08:11:49 PM
Newsflash: people with differing ideas can maintain contacts, friendship & respect. Don't talk shit about what you don't know.

Glad to see this written in black and white right here. Absolute truth and would also be applicable in the "pussification"/"gentrification" thread

yosef666

Man is the Bastard/Bastard Noise was my gateway into noise/PE. Hearing releases like the "Thoughtless" LP and the "Sum of the Men" comp CD, both of which came out while I was still in high school, changed my perceptions around music and sound. It wasn't until my late 20s that I really dug deeper than the easily accessible (Merzbow etc.), but MITB/BN was the starting point for all of it for me.

ETERNAL WAR AGAINST THE DICKS IS ALL WE CAN RESPECT

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer