Bastard Noise

Started by jangbi08, June 10, 2012, 07:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jangbi08

What do you think about Bastard Noise? The incident that happened a few months back kinda was fucked up but I still love 'em.

They're just so much far away from any other noise groups. both sound and representation. Leftist politics, all the weird sci-fi shit, and the mighty 'skull'imagery.

They worked out as a introductory gate for me introducing both noise and noise artists (Merzbow, Bizarre Uproar, Government Alpha...)

What do you guys think about both new (Skulldozer!!!) and old material?

Zeno Marx

Rogue Astronaut might be their best album.  I'm not much of a fan of Skulldozer.  Her vocals are monotone and lack passion.  You can do that style of screaming and it not feel like either of those things (obviously).  I love female vocals in HC like that.  Health Hazard.  Alyssa on Disrupt - Unrest.  She made Skulldozer feel a lot lesser than it might be otherwise.  A Culture of Monsters is a much better album to my ears.  I haven't heard the Actuary split or a couple of the other, more recent releases.  I like the crudity of their older releases.  Lots of good ones.  I wouldn't even know where to start.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

jangbi08

I would have loved her vocals done in traditional hardcore style better too (I didn't get people hating the old Despise You female vocals)
are you talking about the John Wiese-era by older releases?

acsenger

I heard The Analysis Of Self-Destruction ages ago but I remember liking it. It had a pretty bleak atmosphere, nicely summed up by one of the song titles: Death Wish For The Dying.

Mattias G

Quote from: jangbi08 on June 10, 2012, 07:32:16 PM
The incident that happened a few months back kinda was fucked up but I still love 'em.

What happened?

ARKHE

Enlighten me: exactly what is the difference between BASTARD NOISE and MAN IS THE BASTARD?

locustfurnace

Quote from: ARKHE on June 11, 2012, 03:50:32 PM
Enlighten me: exactly what is the difference between BASTARD NOISE and MAN IS THE BASTARD?

More or less if I'm not mistake it was CHARRED REMAINS > CHARRED REMAINS aka MAN IS THE BASTARD > MAN IS THE BASTARD > MAN IS THE BASTARD NOISE > BASTARD NOISE so I presume it was due to small line up changes and musical direction changes???

jangbi08

Quote from: Mattias G on June 11, 2012, 11:33:49 AM
Quote from: jangbi08 on June 10, 2012, 07:32:16 PM
The incident that happened a few months back kinda was fucked up but I still love 'em.

What happened?

http://pitchfork.com/news/45207-man-is-the-bastard-accuse-akronfamily-of-ripping-off-their-skull-logo-for-t-shirts/
i get that akron used the image without permission but people writing juvenile comments was definitely a overreaction

jangbi08

Bastard Noise kinda started out as a noise-oriented side of Man is the Bastard(albeit similar lyrics/imagery)
and continued existing after the death of MITB. They had John Wiese as a member between the late 90s and the early 00's
Then they eventually brought back the bass/drums format in 2009.

nidding

Difference is that Man Is The Bastard/Charred Remains was a powerviolence/hardcore band with experimental/noise elements. Bastard Noise is, well, noise ... they share imagery, some members and themes/lyrics, but until recently didn't incorporate musical elements like MitB.
That's the rough summary of it at least.

FreakAnimalFinland

In my personal opinion, I value the highest:

MITB / Bizarre Uproar split 7"
MITB / U.N.D. split 7"
Our Earths Blood 7"
MITB / UND / Bizarre Uproar LP

And these, not rated by involvement of Finnish artists, but solely judged by MITB's part. Why?
-On split with BU, they managed to fusion greatly the machinery and eerie band generated music with the short and the the point aggressive power violence. Short tracks, fierce noises, great sound.
-On split with UND, the machinery is crystal clear and vocals are yet to become the trademark always similar slightly reverbed studio sound. Check out THESE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qumfeUvGBOE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZth0qnM4kQ
-"Source of power" 3 band LP includes utterly amazing tracks from everybody, but most of all MITB !

And "Our Earths Blood" 7" can't be ignored - one can check out the exact track where "Freak Animal" originates from, even if I added own meanings to it as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8DrEjikT4E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCJJ5L5dqIE

This original early style of short innovative tracks, unique take on lyrics/graphics/presentation, etc. It is what made the big impact. I do value their later works as well, but I think some of the original feel has been lost when tracks have extended lengths and similar tones/oscillations used over and over again.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ARKHE

Quote from: nidding on June 11, 2012, 06:55:47 PM

Difference is that Man Is The Bastard/Charred Remains was a powerviolence/hardcore band with experimental/noise elements. Bastard Noise is, well, noise ... they share imagery, some members and themes/lyrics, but until recently didn't incorporate musical elements like MitB.
That's the rough summary of it at least.

Yeah that's what I supposed. Thanks!

FreakAnimalFinland

One can take a look message above for something said c. 6 years ago. I still stand still in same state of mind.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 11, 2012, 10:14:54 PM
This original early style of short innovative tracks, unique take on lyrics/graphics/presentation, etc. It is what made the big impact. I do value their later works as well, but I think some of the original feel has been lost when tracks have extended lengths and similar tones/oscillations used over and over again.

I greatly appreciate the latest Bastard Noise / Outermost collaboration 7". It proved once again that Bastard Noise is at its best in 7" format, and perhaps also: collaborations.

Why is that. Well, lets say I spent two days to go through entire "Our Earths Blood IV" 5xCD box. Huuuff....  Even if I have recently gone through way more massive box-sets, and even if I may consider myself to be very much supportive for MITB/BN, it gets way too much. 10 x CD of Incapacitants - no problem! 4 x CD of Pan Sonic? No problem. What's the issue with Bastard Noise then? If I say there is "too much of the same", doesn't that sound exactly what Incapacitants does?

Well, not sure how analytic one should be about it? Band like Incapacitants benefits from length and massivity. On surface level it may appear to be "the same", but each release is quite different when judged by its own merits. Bastard Noise in other hand, doesn't really benefit from length. At the best their material has been when long studio session is cut into 2-4 tracks of total length of 6 minutes on side of 7". But stuff like this 5xCD, it simply underlines that you have heard it all so many times, it gets old. You know, the exact same oscillator box used for hundreds of time, with nothing beyond neat reverb as efx. The same vocal pace and style since 25 years. No efx beyond studio reverb. Wood has without doubt, really powerful roaring, yet I start to miss experimentation. Not just treating vocals like in punk, shouting through tracks, but actually consider it as compositional part, what should not be the same, all the time.

What this box benefits, of course, is that collaborators can bring new angle to work. Some tracks works out well. Some are reaaally lazy. Occasionally you get someone blasting harsh noise frenzy on top of bastard electronics and you feel confident the box is good. Next you got shitty digital-multiFX line-in guitar drones on top of same old bastard oscillation and one wonders what's the point? There are couple musical tracks too, which don't fit this at all. I know label invested plenty of time and money to get this done, but one single CD, with absolute best tracks, would have made this good CD. Now as box, it really gets way too much even for fanboy, hah...

Even if I was slightly critical towards SICKNESS / BASTARD NOISE collaboration LP, I must conclude that it is still very much positive example that BN collaborations can work well it involves and actual idea what album should be. It's not just submitting lazy drones or re-doing things all the same, but indeed, in this collaboration creativity of both bands is elevated to new level. It's not like Sickness alone would do album like this, nor Bastard Noise. And composition is way beyond just random tracks with eachothers sounds. Wood vocal performance is also pretty wild - and strange. Of course he has done all these vocals styles many times, but breaking templates into long guttural whisper-growls extended over so long periods of time, over minimalist backgrounds - that are clearly composed. I must say that one needs to actually listen this more carefully to really appreciate the quality of noise textures. Especially going through this AFTER the 5xCD underlines its superiority. That said, if this and the Outermost collaboration mark highlights among Bastard Noise collaborations, maybe project is going for better direction? Lets hope so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMKv1zLSBIQ
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

holy ghost

I enjoyed select collabs on the Earths Blood IV but it is a lot to get through. IIRC the tracks with Government Alpha and Clew of Theseus stood out. But not a set I go to often for the sheer length of it.

I have really enjoyed the longer collabs and live stuff that's been surfacing lately. Doomed Extinction was a really great DLP, the Live in Japan series of tapes and the Earths Blood V were quite good. And the 7" with Hiroshi Hasegawa/Government Alpha was also something I liked.

The MITB Live LP that came out on Deep Six was also excellent, I think from 1992 Sum of the amen era? It was great to hear the banter between songs. I'd LOVE if some other live stuff surfaced. Live at Fiesta Grande would be a real treat if the whole set was recorded?