Small Cruel Party

Started by bogskaggmannen, June 01, 2012, 10:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyesofsatan

Quote from: acsenger on February 03, 2019, 07:58:06 AM
I just got the recent Islands of Sleep CD reissue of an LP from 1998. It's captivating stuff. While musically it's not complex, Ransone undeniably has an ear for interesting, beautiful, and often almost sensual sounds, probably made by careful manual manipulation of various objects. The CD is available for ridiculously low prices (granted, the material is only appr. 29 minutes long), so I highly recommend it to anyone into SCP or wanting to check it out.

Will have to get the recent LP reissue of Resin, Parched, Chthonic, too.

Just got the 'Resin, Parched, Chthonic' re-issue, having never heard the original release I was quite surprised, pleasantly, at how much more rough around the edges it sounds in contrast to other SCP works. A lot more 'noisy' than I expected - really fucking good. Need to play it again ASAP.

Lazrs3

I have and reviewed the Three CD Box An Accident in Substance https://heathenharvest.org/2013/03/21/small-cruel-party-an-accident-in-substance/ and like it a lot, that's a well presented ,good collection and intro to their work. I have Unroof the House of Fishes too which is good.

Oddly got into Spoils and Relics over the years who have vague parallels to SCP going on there too.

Duncan

Quote from: Lazrs3 on February 22, 2019, 10:34:12 PM

Oddly got into Spoils and Relics over the years who have vague parallels to SCP going on there too.

Somewhat, yes. Especially in earlier works I guess, but more recently they've headed into far more electronic music territory.  I'll probably always love this group but I do prefer the more tapey early stuff to the synth heavy modern sound.  Can't fault them for progressing though.  I'm sure SCP is an influence on those guys.

Not much else to add besides that x3 cd set is essential if you can get a hold of it.  I'm always struck by how simple SCP is every time I listen to it.  There really isn't a lot going on most of the time but by gum it works well.  Feel like I'll maybe never get a full grip on exactly what he's trying to do and I like it that way?!

Lazrs3

I haven't heard any recent Spoils and Relics stuff. The last I heard was the album on Harbinger Sound and a tape around the same time. Will check out their newer stuff.

eyesofsatan

Quote from: Lazrs3 on February 23, 2019, 01:06:53 AM
I haven't heard any recent Spoils and Relics stuff. The last I heard was the album on Harbinger Sound and a tape around the same time. Will check out their newer stuff.

Really loved the most recent tape box on Second Sleep. Stands as some of my favorite Spoils & Relics material!

Lazrs3

Quote from: eyesofsatan on March 10, 2019, 10:07:54 PM
Quote from: Lazrs3 on February 23, 2019, 01:06:53 AM

Really loved the most recent tape box on Second Sleep. Stands as some of my favorite Spoils & Relics material!

My mate is or was in them, will check with him. That box looks tasty, I just had a peek on discogs.

Zeno Marx

SCP has always shared some ground with Zoviet France, and this new one, Ἡ​σ​υ​χ​α​σ​μ​ό​ς, is right there.  Has that urban decay ambient feel.  Organic rustling is absent.

https://fernsrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/-
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

This is new on vinyl, but formerly already tape on Banned prod.
I think Banned prod ran into some trouble with his tape deck? I managed to order one big wholesale order years ago, then trying new big order and never succeeding to finalize deals. I think he was dubbing 1:1, one copy at the time, and putting out so many title. And then problems with tape deck...
Most were short, C-10, C-20, some C-30. Would be curious to know how many copies were actually dubbed of some of those tapes.. Good thing that SCP came out on vinyl so reaches more ears!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Quote from: Matthias on March 25, 2014, 08:52:53 PM
Haven't seen this one being mentioned anywhere, but the 'Three Simple Eyes Of The Insect Ancestor' CS on Apraxia was reissued on CD by the french label Kaon in 2012. Been picking up lots of SCP stuff the last months and this is one of the very best in my opinion: http://www.kaon.org/small-cruel-party-three-simple-eyes-of-the-insect-ancestor/

Recently picked this one up after "discovering" SCP just within the last couple of months. Absolutely obsessed with the project now. I've quickly grabbed some easy-to-find CDs like the Harbinger 3xCD collection which is absolutely essential for anyone into this area of music.

Listening to Three Simple Eyes now and it's quite good and maybe my favorite album from the project so far. The first track consists of slowly developing sounds of grinding and scraping metal with beautiful undertones of oscillating low end that complements perfectly. The second track has beautiful rainlike droplets of electronics and interesting contrast of crashing or booming sounds in the backdrop. Each is meticulously crafted.

I've also particularly enjoyed Island of Sleep and the first track of Cervorum Simulacra. Do You Believe in a Pencil? is great for the first track or 26 minutes (depending on the format you have), but then doesn't really progress and gets a little stale. Going to come back to that one and see if it grows on me.

I really want to get some of the LP reissues mentioned in this thread like Resin and Unroof, but looks like it's pricey, and will have to purchase from overseas. If anyone has knowledge of stateside distributors that have these, please let me know.