sotos

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, March 04, 2010, 08:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HongKongGoolagong

Just a bunch of novels from the 90s I read from Vachss, but the zealotry is just too much and I completely see why in Parasite Sotos called him a Bruce Ritter waiting to happen. The guy is too intense and there's something not right - methinks the gentleman doth protest too much, y'know.

[Section regarding Shy Keenan and Penny Mellor deleted - http://www.expressandstar.com/news/crime/2013/10/18/woman-52-is-charged-over-stalking-author-shy-keenan/ - her blog had some amazing stuff on Keenan but certainly crossed the lines of right to privacy in the same way as the tabloids do when they cover a story]  

Jordan

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 18, 2013, 12:20:14 AM
: "Sexual violence is not sex gone too far; it is violence with sex as its instrument. Rage, sadism and a desire to control or debase others are the driving forces"

I think he's wrong on this. It may be true much of the time, or even most of the time, but sometimes at least, sexual violence is just about sex. Steven Pinker said in The Better Angels Of Our Nature:
QuoteBut if I may be permitted an ad feminam suggestion, the theory that rape has nothing to do with sex may be more plausible to the gender to whom a desire for impersonal sex with an unwilling stranger is too bizarre to contemplate.

He also said on an interview on TVO while promoting The Blank Slate something along the lines of 'sometimes rape happens solely because a man is horny', which I guess gets more to the point.

RyanWreck

I love what Sotos' material has became and I am glad he is still writing and his style has evolved into something far more enduring and intricate than in his earlier works. I prefer KEPT and Show Adult to Index and Tool these days. But on the other hand I totally get what Keith is saying, and every time I hear something on the TV in the background about some child rapist murderer in the Chicago area I cross my fingers.

online prowler

Quote from: RyanWreck on January 11, 2013, 07:24:08 PM
Here is a fairly new video of one of his readings. This is likely one of the better videos I have ever seen of him. It's just about 24 minutes long and he is pretty candid through-out. He is obviously nervous. Someone handed this to me on all places, reddit. Enjoy...

http://www.centrepompidou.fr/cpv/ressource.action?param.id=FR_R-2f3a8ff517ddfa54442a2553a62459b5&param.idSource=FR_E-328c448338f9bfb46ac321ee0bb85e4

Thanx Ryan.

BTW .. anyone read Mine yet? opinons .....

simulacrum

Has anyone who pre-ordered Mine through Amazon received their copy yet? It began shipping recently, right? I hope it comes soon so I can finish it before Tool ships.

boorman

I got MINE from Nine-Branded through the post some weeks ago.

simulacrum

Quote from: boorman on February 12, 2013, 10:13:34 PM
I got MINE from Nine-Branded through the post some weeks ago.

What? How? I thought it didn't start shipping until February.

d_i_v_i_d_e

I also received a copy of Mine a few weeks ago from Amazon. Only a couple dozen pages in so far.

Is the Tool reprint still due out this month?

simulacrum

That's odd. I pre-ordered through Amazon some time in November and I have yet to receive my copy. My idiot mailman has probably been reading it in his down-time.

Baglady

I received my preordered Mine a couple of weeks ago too. I haven't started on it yet, but I'm sure it's worth every minute and cent. I definitely think his later writing is his best (although Tick will always be a favorite). And I'm curious about this new edition of Tool with a new foreword.

Btw, anyone know if this edition of Mine is limited? Not that it matters to me, but I might want to get a copy for a friend later when I can afford it.

Jordan

Richard Smith from Nine Banded Books just told me via email that Tool is now available.

online prowler

Think I'll order both. Not too bad of a price, but the shipping will probably be steep. Can't remember if I posted this previously. Anyway here is a reading Sotos did with material from Mine in the Centre Pompidou last year. Runtime: 23min 23secs.

http://www.centrepompidou.fr/cpv/ressource.action?param.id=FR_R-2f3a8ff517ddfa54442a2553a62459b5&param.idSource=FR_E-328c448338f9bfb46ac321ee0bb85e4

online prowler

HE!HE! My bad. Alzheimer blues.

Jordan

The international shipping price is per order, not per book. But there's problems with the online store right now, it didn't add the shipping for me last night, so I had to paypal him additional money.

SiClark

Was looking on Discogs and found this release -http://www.discogs.com/unitauf-Predicate-The-Peter-Sotos-Reader/release/1444122

Does anyone know anything about this? Just curious if it's something similar to Martin Bladh - Dirge - The Peter Sotos Files.